Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Carb/Idle Question

This is a discussion on Carb/Idle Question within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I have a 2005 660. I recently rebuilt the carb. It starts up fine with the choke on but once I take the choke off ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

gezell75 is on a distinguished road
09-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Carb/Idle Question

I have a 2005 660. I recently rebuilt the carb. It starts up fine with the choke on but once I take the choke off it generally dies as the idle is really low. WIth the choke on the idle isn't very high (and much lower than it was before I rebuilt the carb.) I am thinking I didn't do something with the pilot screw (any ideas where this is?) as I don't recall backing the screw out the required 2.5 times but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I have adjusted the throttle stop screw and that helped some but didn't fix the issue.

Also, is the drain screw suppose to be fully shut off in a normal situation?

Thanks,
gezell75 is offlineReport Post

swdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really niceswdockter is just really nice

09-20-2011, 09:02 PM
ya, flip the carb upside down and it's between two gold colored big headed screws. Rebuild kits usually come with new orings for that.

Oh, you can adjust the idle by turning that screw on the end of a long spring looking thing
'02 Gizzly 660, ITP T7 Beadlocks on 26" OP Bighorns, Greaseless, UTVCrap Machined Sheave, Dynojet (DJ155 w/#45 pilot), DizGrizz RX-5032 K&N Mod, 2" Stainless Tip ... dats it
swdockter is offlineReport Post

Dan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond reputeDan1724 has a reputation beyond repute

09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezell75 View Post
I have a 2005 660. I recently rebuilt the carb. It starts up fine with the choke on but once I take the choke off it generally dies as the idle is really low. WIth the choke on the idle isn't very high (and much lower than it was before I rebuilt the carb.) I am thinking I didn't do something with the pilot screw (any ideas where this is?) as I don't recall backing the screw out the required 2.5 times but wanted to see if anyone had any other thoughts. I have adjusted the throttle stop screw and that helped some but didn't fix the issue.

Also, is the drain screw suppose to be fully shut off in a normal situation?

Thanks,
I'd almost assume that you didn't touch the pilot screw if you aren't sure where it is.
Two things: First, yes, try the idle screw. The idle screw doesn't actually change the air fuel mix, it just turns up the throttle a little bit.
Second, if you haven't adjusted the valves, do so. I did mine last winter and I might as well have ripped the choke lever off the bike. Haven't touched it since.
If you adjust the idle screw and that takes care of the problem, that's great. If not, and you're not sure you changed the A/F setting, then I'd look at checking the valves.
RED 2002 Grizzly 660, 28" Gorilla Silverbacks, Wiseco 11:1 Piston, HotCams Stage 1 Raptor Cam, Raptor Valve Springs, DizGrizz Serious Air Filter Mod HERE, K&N Air Filter, Custom Rad Relocate, 1mm Shim, 660 Mega-Air Snorkels HERE,Powermadd Handguards, ODI Rogue Grips.
Dan1724 is offlineReport Post

gezell75 is on a distinguished road
09-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks guys. It was the pilot screw. I did replace it but didn't back it out 2.5 times from the seated position. Machine is running good now. It does have a pesky drip out of the drain tube that I will now try to fix.
gezell75 is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,433 Times in 1,119 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

09-26-2011, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gezell75 View Post
Thanks guys. It was the pilot screw. I did replace it but didn't back it out 2.5 times from the seated position. Machine is running good now. It does have a pesky drip out of the drain tube that I will now try to fix.
You need a new drain screw:

PLUG,DRAIN
Part# 12R-14191-00-00

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
05 yamaha bruin 250 not idling and backfiring
06 big bear carburetor idle high after rebuild
2000 yamaha big bear extremely high idle
2002 grizzly idle screw

2002 yamaha big bear rough idle

adjusting the throttle stop screw on an 09 wolverine
adjusting throttle stop screw on wolverine
atv rebuilt carburetor mixture wont adjust
big bear carb idles high
grizzly 660 carburetor dripp
high idle on big bear
how to rebuild a carburetor on a yamaha big bear
rebuilt carb on grizzly now only have high idle#gsc.tab
what makes carburetor 2007yamaha big bear idle up high

yamaha big bear high idle

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.