Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

New Grizzly 450 top speed????

42K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  yamaha450caleb 
#1 ·
I just got back from my first ride on my new 450. After taking it thru some mud holes I took it down a straight gravel road in 2wd and the fastest it would go was 49mph. I weigh 165 and was crouched down to lessen wind resistance. This seems slow to me. Is it because it needs to break in? Will it get faster/more power after a couple hundred miles or so?

Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
49 is about it, that as fast as Ive had mine but I weigh 225.
I wouldn't be running it that hard until after its broken in though.

#3 ·

G
#7 ·
i drag raced a brand new 08 Grizzly 450 that had 25'' Big Horns and a stock engine today with my stock 07 Grizzly 450 which has nearly 700miles and stock tires. He was bout 50lbs or so lighter then me i beat him by about 15 feet each time. The fastest he could get outta his was 49MPH and i was hitting 53MPH.

#8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mack450 @ April 27, 2008, 6:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i drag raced a brand new 08 Grizzly 450 that had 25'' Big Horns and a stock engine today with my stock 07 Grizzly 450 which has nearly 700miles and stock tires. He was bout 50lbs or so lighter then me i beat him by about 15 feet each time. The fastest he could get outta his was 49MPH and i was hitting 53MPH.[/b]

My 06 will run 53 up hill and 58 down hill, but right now, I am just shy of 2700 miles on it and on bald stockers. I think if tinkered with aftermarket stuff it would run 60. It needs a different CDI, rev limiter box, because there is deffinately some limiter in there.

#9 ·
I'VE GOT THE 2007 450, I FOUND THAT ON DIFFERENT SURFACES IT WILL RUN FASTER OR SLOWER. I RUN ON A DIRT ROAD ABOUT 48MPH TO 50MPH AND ON PAVEMENT I HAD IT UP TO 58MPH. AND I WEIGH ABOUT 235-240 POUNDS. BUT HOW OFTEN ARE U WANTING TO RUN THIS FAST, MYSELF I DIDNT BUY THIS MACHINE FOR SPEED. IF SO I WOULD OF WENT BIGGER OR WENT WITH SPORT QUAD.

#23 ·
at that speed the reversing light turns into a 'sphincter open' indicator and is the first indication of a laundry day in the near future.

tyre pressures also play a big part in the speed stakes. the harder the better for less rolling resistance, but handling can go out the window. running at the high end of the specs will give you the best speed if you can keep it tracking straight without it starting to kangaroo.

#18 ·
I live at 8000 feet in Colorado, so all I can get out of my '07 450 is about 45 mph, I'm taking a 25% horsepower hit living up here.

#19 ·
Just got a chance to ring out the 07 450 Grizz has 375 miles on pavement flat land 56mph..I weigh 195..the atv is Completly stock with maxxis 25" stock tires.
No rev limiter or flashing light..Sure did feel faster on this small frame quad. Wish I had a tackmeter it was revving to the moon just run it up for a second. I guess the 450 Grizz is geared low even in high gear. low gear is good for steep downhills and steep up hill rock rock crawling. I have completly sucked up very nasty steep rocky trails in hi gear which makes the 450 a hoot for trail riding..

#20 ·
Before I cleaned the carb, I could only get to 24mph (secondhand bike). But now, mine will quickly get to 40mph, then creeps up slowly to 44mph. The only time I have gone faster on it is downhill and I saw it reach 46mph. I am 5'11" and 190lb. Bike is completely stock.
From stationary, full throttle will snatch me backwards and *almost* lift the front wheels in high gear. I have pulled a two tonne trailer and hardly noticed it was there, still getting to 40mph if I wanted to. Plenty of power and plenty of speed for what I need.

Problems;
I get the blinking "R" no matter what gear I am in after about 10 seconds of starting up.
One of the three screws that hold the spark arrestor will not unscrew. The previous owner had obviously tried, but damaged the head of the screw. I have tried mole grips, but the thing is stuck fast.
Otherwise, very good bike.

#21 ·
Last week in Taylor Park Colorado, 10,000 feet elevation, flat dirt road, I was able to get 42 mph outta my 450. It took some distance to get there though.

#25 ·
After fixing a friends severly neglected and abused 2008 stock 450, with just under 3000 km, had it up to 86 km per hour ( whatever the heck that is in your mph ).
Felt like I could have got a tad bit more out of it, but didn't want to blow it up, just wanted it gone out of my garage.
By the way I weight a nice lean trim 210, well at one time anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.