Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2016 grizz/kodiak questions

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  JoshSzydel 
#1 ·
Currently I have a 2011 big bear 400 it gets me where I need to go slowly but surely lol and I'm looking to get a new grizz/kodiak it will be this fall before I have the money saved up so it might be a 2017 model by then ? Not sure when the new models will come out I live on a large 900+ acre farm so there are long roads and the big bear is just to slow 40 miles an hour tops so it wouldn't be uncommon for me to go 55 or more what's the top speed on the kodiak? I don't really mud a lot I don't like it wears out brakes and makes a mess but I love the on command 4x4/4x4 lock and the kodiak only has limited slip if I get a kodiak it will be an eps version or if a grizzly it would have to be without EPS I read the only difference between the two as far as the engine and transmission goes is the clutch weights are heavier on the kodiak can you swap these for grizzly clutch weights? Also do most dealers come off msrp if so how much? Thanks in advance just trying to decide witch one will suit me best!

#2 · (Edited)
I think either bike will make you happy. The Kodiak has the rear wet brake, which pretty much last forever and never needs adjustment or maintenance except clean diff fluid.
To sum it up quickly, the Kodiak is in reality the last model Grizzly with a newer 708cc engine and a different rear diff with wet brake
The new Grizzly has a new frame, wider and is snappier off the line because of the lighter primary clutch weights.

The Grizzly is the better choice for more aggressive riders .

#10 ·
Only the base model Kodiak does not have diff lock. If you get a Kodiak with EPS, it will also have diff lock.

I think either bike will make you happy. The Kodiak has the rear wet brake, witpretty much last forever and never needs adjustment or maintenance except clean diff fluid.
To sum it up quickly, the Kodiak is in reality the last model Grizzly with a newer 708cc engine.
The new Grizzly has a new frame, wider and is snappier off the line because of the lighter primary clutch weights.

The Grizzly is the better choice for more aggressive riders .
The SE edition is the ONLY kodiak with push botton diff lock. The EPS and Camo versions both have the mechanical cable driven diff lock. The lever is cheap cast aluminum and looks like a toddler could break it.

I was not impressed with yamaha's decision on this. Why take away the old push button design? Why only offer it in the SE edition?

From my understanding the Kodiak has the 2015 grizzly motor and the new 2016 has the newer designed motor they run in the Wolverines? I know the throttle response on the kodiak is dumbed down for a smoother feel. My nephew and brother in law have them both.

#3 ·
I have a Kodiak 700 EPS on a cattle and hay farm. It has the manual lever on the handle bar for the 4 wheel drive but no differential lock. The Kodiak 700 SE has the electronic on command 4 wheel drive and diff. lock. You probably won't miss the diff. lock on the farm, if you have to go in and out of 4 wheel drive a lot, the on command 4 wheel drive is nice. Replacing the tires with a better set of radials will help eliminate a lot of having to go in 4 wheel drive. I'm running the 6 ply Maxxis Ceros tires, they are very popular for farm and ranch work and the last time I checked they came standard on Kubota side x sides.

Reactions: Ean
#5 ·
Thanks the clarification on the diff lock option. I had completely wrong information. I have even edited my post above to fix the incorrect information.

Reactions: whiskeymike
#4 ·
If you don't ride very aggressive, the kodiak probably is good for you. Coming from a big bear, it's still a huge step up in performance. Ride both, dont jump into it. The difference between the two are somewhat minor, but they feel like totally different animals.

Yes, weights can be changed pretty cheaply.

FWIW, my dealer had always been a good amount below MSRP. On a grizzly, the eps is only about 500 more. The Kodiak eps is a big jump on price since it includes alot more than just eps.

Like dezz said the rear wet brake is great. A little less braking power, but virtually maintenance free.

Best bang for buck in the atv world, IMO, is a base kodiak with an aftermarket gauge & a weight change. But it's also not the best choice for everyone. I always tell everyone to ride them all and decide. If it's a Yamaha you know it's a good bike, you just need to find out what fits you & your needs best.

And remember, the dealer has something you want, but you have something they want too. Id never never pay msrp, but in some areas where there is no competition it is harder to get a deal. I'm never afraid of a little trip though.

Reactions: Ean
#8 ·
If you change the weights in the kodiak, and each had the same tires, in theory the kodiak would be slightly quicker due to the minor weight difference. I think it would be neck and neck.

Short answer - yes. With relatively light 26" tires top speed is around 55-60 iirc.

#7 ·
The turning radius on the new Grizzly is said to be much larger. The only difference I'm hearing about in the clutch is the weights. I'd think the extra nimbleness of the Kodiak SE would suit my aggressive riding style better. This is all based off what I'm hearing though.

The old style Grizzly 700s were like mountain goats. I loved that. In the fast stuff, my rear spacers and 25" Terracross took care of stability quite well. Mine was thumping and pumping and could take a piped Outlander 800. For me personally, it would have to be able to dance in the tight stuff too.

#9 ·
Maybe some body english and a handful of front brake / throttle would work fine for me with the 16 Grizzly though. Anybody try that in the tight stuff? I suppose that would eliminate the larger steering radius thing for me.

Conrad! I gotta ride yours!

#11 ·
The engine is exactly the same. Even the tune. They both have the 708. The difference is in the clutch weights.

The change in 4x4 was cost, to compete for the value driven market. That's really what the kodiak is All about.

#12 ·
I was bummed when I went to look at them, I wanted the smaller kodiak althought it isnt much of a difference. My friends have an older 350 with push button and the old 660 I drive has it. I just feel like the cable is a hassle and looks very poorly designed.

#13 ·
Coming off a 15 xmr 1000 that burned I just bought a 16 Kodiak see and love it! Light, nimble, can wheelie in low, and was half the money. I rode both and I did not like the grizzly. Felt huge and clumsy. It also pushed the front end in the corners. Got mine on Friday for 8200 total tax tags was 8700 and change. Put 72 miles on it this weekend and enjoyed it allot.

#15 ·
I didn't think the cable looked that bad I Remember sitting on one at my dealer when they first got one while I was getting parts I never thought about buying new at that time but I'm tired of buying someone else's problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.