2016 Grizzly EPS Update - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 12-04-2016, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

2016 Grizzly EPS Update

I bought a 2016 Grizzly EPS back in September or so, and love the machine so far. Definitely think I made the right purchase based on my needs. I haven't done any mods yet, but Christmas is coming soon!

My only gripe, like many others is fuel delivery. I am about the pull the trigger on a EHS controller and intake. I was crossing a small but muddy really muddy creek the other day, and on my way back across I hit the throttle hard, only to have it stall out and I ended up nose down it. The only upside to the story is how impressed I was getting out. I thought I was stuck for sure. Put in diff lock and the Grizz ripped out in reverse and I was able to get back across.

I have some Zillas on request for Christmas, think it will perform nice in the mud with those.

Happy riding!

2016 Grizzly EPS Hunter Green
EHS EFI Controller
2R Racing Tip
28x10x12 - 28x12x12 Zillas
ITP SS212 Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGrizzLee View Post
I bought a 2016 Grizzly EPS back in September or so, and love the machine so far. Definitely think I made the right purchase based on my needs. I haven't done any mods yet, but Christmas is coming soon!

My only gripe, like many others is fuel delivery. I am about the pull the trigger on a EHS controller and intake. I was crossing a small but muddy really muddy creek the other day, and on my way back across I hit the throttle hard, only to have it stall out and I ended up nose down it. The only upside to the story is how impressed I was getting out. I thought I was stuck for sure. Put in diff lock and the Grizz ripped out in reverse and I was able to get back across.

I have some Zillas on request for Christmas, think it will perform nice in the mud with those.

Happy riding!
Same here, loving it so far,only 140 miles.

2016 Camo Grizzly 2500 Provantage winch , Heat Demon clamp on grips, Yamaha front basket, Yamaha reciever hitch, Yamaha Camo seat cover, Yamaha Windshield,Kimpex fender protectors, Quadboss Weekender, Gold plugs, Garmin Oregon 600,ONX Hunt Map,KFI winch protector, black clamp on atv mirrors,Yamaha Windshield, AmSteel winch rope
post #3 of 18 Old 12-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Garage
Picked mine up little over a month ago put 28" Zillas on it have already put 200 miles on it and the first oil change, received my EHS tuner Saturday along with my Barker's slip-on but they didn't send the hanger bracket for the exhaust can or the springs to reconnect to the head pipe have a call and email in to Samantha at Barkers so hopefully they will get the overnighted to me

2016 Grizzly Esp, 28" Zillas, Kfi 3500 Stealth winch, EHS tuner,Barkers slip-on,quite core,Billet tip and more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 12-05-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

How do you like the Zillas so far? Turn them well with no clutch mods? I don't plan on clutch mods right away.

Can you tell a difference with the fuel controller?

EHS EFI Controller
2R Racing Tip
ITP SS212 Black
post #5 of 18 Old 12-05-2016, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Happy riding!

How many miles on it? Mine used to stall. I have 1000 miles on mine now and the stalling is gone!

Green 2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
26x9x12 Bearclaw HTRs
Yamaha Glide Plate
Eagle 3500lb Winch
JBS sheave w/ 16g weights and purple EPI Spring. 1 MM Shim
Rox 5" Riser Kit
EHS Tuner

Sold-2009 Grizzly 550 EPS w/ 4,800 miles
post #6 of 18 Old 12-06-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
How do you like the Zillas so far? Turn them well with no clutch mods? I don't plan on clutch mods right away.

If you're putting 28 inch Zillas on your Grizzly I would definitely be doing some clutch mods. Even just doing the shim mod will reduce the stress on your clutch/ driveline. I would recommend doing all of it while you have it apart. Wet slugs an a secondary purple spring, greaseless 18 gram weights and if you can't afford a machined sheave than just go with 1-2 mm shim pack on the primary. Pretty cheap when you compare replacing your clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

2015 Grizzly 700

HW Sheeve with 1.0 mm & Purple Spring
28" Mega Mayhems 14" HD5 Beadlocks
3.5 Rox Riser with Protaper Contours
EHS Lid with Intake Pod filter mod
Stage 3 Elka Shocks ( to come)
Winch with wireless remote
2R Exhaust Tip
Bullet Box
Gear bag
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AGRV8TD For This Useful Post:
GAGrizzLee (12-09-2016), rubberman (12-06-2016)
post #7 of 18 Old 12-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:

Love the 28" Zillas no problem turning them but I do plan on the jbs extreme kit ,have the tuner and barkers slip-on installed but have not had a chance to ride

2016 Grizzly Esp, 28" Zillas, Kfi 3500 Stealth winch, EHS tuner,Barkers slip-on,quite core,Billet tip and more to come
post #8 of 18 Old 12-09-2016, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

I would like to do the JBS kit as well. I am a little nervous about doing all the work, but Ican prob find someone to help me that is more mechanically inclined.

EHS EFI Controller
2R Racing Tip
ITP SS212 Black
post #9 of 18 Old 12-09-2016, 06:52 PM

Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
I would like to do the JBS kit as well. I am a little nervous about doing all the work, but Ican prob find someone to help me that is more mechanically inclined.
The work is not difficult. Just do some research and take it slow. The biggest mistakes guys make when dealing with the clutches is not making sure spline is visible, not holding the cam plate tight so the rollers stay in place and not torquing the primary nut. I'm guilty of all three at one time or another. Luckily, I didn't damage my machine but some have. There lots of threads here and several YouTube videos.

Many here caution against a kit. Instead, make one change at a time and get the machine where you like it. Not where some guy who makes a kit thinks it ought to be. Just my 2 cents.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #10 of 18 Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
I would like to do the JBS kit as well. I am a little nervous about doing all the work, but Ican prob find someone to help me thagt is more mechanically inclined.
it's not hard to do James gives good instructions just take your time and pay attention to what you are doing only takes about an hour to do
And the improvements are well worth it, will be ordering mine Tuesday if the overdrive weights come in,James said they should have them by then

The Following User Says Thank You to 69quadracer For This Useful Post:
GAGrizzLee (12-10-2016)
post #11 of 18 Old 12-10-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

That's most likely the route I will go then. I'll prob just hold off on fuel controller and intake and just go with tires and clutch kit for now.

EHS EFI Controller
2R Racing Tip
ITP SS212 Black
post #12 of 18 Old 12-10-2016, 02:55 PM

I'm a guy who went all-in with a machined sheave kit from the start. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go about it more incrementally like the others recommended. Start with a shim and see how you like the lower take-off ratio. Then change the secondary spring if you need to. Then change the roller weights to suite your style of riding (some guys go lighter, some guys go heavier). If you're happy with that and don't feel like you need a taller top ratio, then just stop there. At this point you've hardly invested any $$$ in parts as well. And if you want more, then invest in the machined sheave. You'll have a much better understanding of what changes accomplished what, and have it set up exactly how you want it.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
it's finicky and a turd but
i'm not cruel enough to sell it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tythomps For This Useful Post:
GAGrizzLee (12-12-2016), okbear (12-10-2016)
post #13 of 18 Old 12-10-2016, 02:59 PM

Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tythomps View Post
I'm a guy who went all-in with a machined sheave kit from the start. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go about it more incrementally like the others recommended. Start with a shim and see how you like the lower take-off ratio. Then change the secondary spring if you need to. Then change the roller weights to suite your style of riding (some guys go lighter, some guys go heavier). If you're happy with that and don't feel like you need a taller top ratio, then just stop there. At this point you've hardly invested any $$$ in parts as well. And if you want more, then invest in the machined sheave. You'll have a much better understanding of what changes accomplished what, and have it set up exactly how you want it.
That!^^^^

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
The Following User Says Thank You to okbear For This Useful Post:
GAGrizzLee (12-12-2016)
post #14 of 18 Old 12-12-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tythomps View Post

Thanks. I have debated this, but I also hear people say go ahead and do it all while you have it opened up. But, very true only a few bucks spent on parts just doing shim, spring and weights. I really don't need the high end, but like you say, I will really see if I do once I make the mods. Thanks!

EHS EFI Controller
2R Racing Tip
ITP SS212 Black
post #15 of 18 Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 AM

Garage
for me personally , I found the fuel tuner combined with exhaust opened up , was BY FAR the biggest gain in throttle responsiveness. You loose that sluggish , hesitant acceleration that they have in stock setup , and gain Instant rpm speed. It felt like a new machine after I did it.. I had done , and still run a 2mm shim, prior to the fuel and pipe mods , and there is no comparison to the gains. Fuel and pipe mods were way more significant. More advanced clutch mods may have done alot more , but I think its putting the cart in front of the horse, when trying to gain power with the clutch before uncorking the motor. These suckers are emissioned to death. Get the motor running to its fullest potential , and then work the clutch mods to fine tune..

The 2mm shim is a no brainer , cheap and helps compensate for the bigger tires if your running them.. This simple clutch mod I would do right away.

2016 GRIZZLY 700 EPS
Yamaha Front/Rear brush guards, Aluminium Skids,
Camo seat cover, windshield, rear Cargo box, Hitch

Moose Heated Grips/Thumb
3000# WARN VANTAGE
Black Oak LED light bar
Rigid LED rear light bar

Boss 1000W Stereo

KFI synthetic Rope
Elka Stage 3 Front
Elka Stage 4 Rear

"SWAMP" exhaust