Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2016 Grizzly EPS Update

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  GAGrizzLee 
#1 ·
I bought a 2016 Grizzly EPS back in September or so, and love the machine so far. Definitely think I made the right purchase based on my needs. I haven't done any mods yet, but Christmas is coming soon!

My only gripe, like many others is fuel delivery. I am about the pull the trigger on a EHS controller and intake. I was crossing a small but muddy really muddy creek the other day, and on my way back across I hit the throttle hard, only to have it stall out and I ended up nose down it. The only upside to the story is how impressed I was getting out. I thought I was stuck for sure. Put in diff lock and the Grizz ripped out in reverse and I was able to get back across.

I have some Zillas on request for Christmas, think it will perform nice in the mud with those.

Happy riding!

#2 ·
Same here, loving it so far,only 140 miles.

#3 ·
Picked mine up little over a month ago put 28" Zillas on it have already put 200 miles on it and the first oil change, received my EHS tuner Saturday along with my Barker's slip-on but they didn't send the hanger bracket for the exhaust can or the springs to reconnect to the head pipe have a call and email in to Samantha at Barkers so hopefully they will get the overnighted to me

#4 ·
How do you like the Zillas so far? Turn them well with no clutch mods? I don't plan on clutch mods right away.

Can you tell a difference with the fuel controller?

#6 ·
If you're putting 28 inch Zillas on your Grizzly I would definitely be doing some clutch mods. Even just doing the shim mod will reduce the stress on your clutch/ driveline. I would recommend doing all of it while you have it apart. Wet slugs an a secondary purple spring, greaseless 18 gram weights and if you can't afford a machined sheave than just go with 1-2 mm shim pack on the primary. Pretty cheap when you compare replacing your clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I would like to do the JBS kit as well. I am a little nervous about doing all the work, but Ican prob find someone to help me that is more mechanically inclined.

#9 ·
The work is not difficult. Just do some research and take it slow. The biggest mistakes guys make when dealing with the clutches is not making sure spline is visible, not holding the cam plate tight so the rollers stay in place and not torquing the primary nut. I'm guilty of all three at one time or another. Luckily, I didn't damage my machine but some have. There lots of threads here and several YouTube videos.

Many here caution against a kit. Instead, make one change at a time and get the machine where you like it. Not where some guy who makes a kit thinks it ought to be. Just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
That's most likely the route I will go then. I'll prob just hold off on fuel controller and intake and just go with tires and clutch kit for now.

#12 ·
I'm a guy who went all-in with a machined sheave kit from the start. If I had to do it all over again, I'd go about it more incrementally like the others recommended. Start with a shim and see how you like the lower take-off ratio. Then change the secondary spring if you need to. Then change the roller weights to suite your style of riding (some guys go lighter, some guys go heavier). If you're happy with that and don't feel like you need a taller top ratio, then just stop there. At this point you've hardly invested any $$$ in parts as well. And if you want more, then invest in the machined sheave. You'll have a much better understanding of what changes accomplished what, and have it set up exactly how you want it.

#13 ·
That!^^^^

Reactions: GAGrizzLee
#15 ·
for me personally , I found the fuel tuner combined with exhaust opened up , was BY FAR the biggest gain in throttle responsiveness. You loose that sluggish , hesitant acceleration that they have in stock setup , and gain Instant rpm speed. It felt like a new machine after I did it.. I had done , and still run a 2mm shim, prior to the fuel and pipe mods , and there is no comparison to the gains. Fuel and pipe mods were way more significant. More advanced clutch mods may have done alot more , but I think its putting the cart in front of the horse, when trying to gain power with the clutch before uncorking the motor. These suckers are emissioned to death. Get the motor running to its fullest potential , and then work the clutch mods to fine tune..

The 2mm shim is a no brainer , cheap and helps compensate for the bigger tires if your running them.. This simple clutch mod I would do right away.

#16 ·
Have you already ordered the kit? Can you cancel if so? It isn't a big deal to go inside the cover. I just hate to see anyone blow a bunch of $$$ to find out they could have gotten the desired results with about 35 bucks (or less) in parts and an hour (or less) of tinkering. I'm all about stretching my toy money as far as it will go.

#17 ·
I haven't ordered anything yet. I think half the fun is deciding what to do, lol . This thread has been really helpful. I think i will take your advice and wait and see how the shim/spring goes before I order a sheave. It makes sense seeing what each of the components adds and if I really feel like I'm missing anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.