Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2016 Grizzy conquered Hatfield McCoy trails

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  TroyW 
#1 ·
Myself and four other guys went to Hatfield McCoy trails and Outlaw trails this past Thursday,Friday,and Saturday and left early Sunday morning. We stayed at the Twin Hollow campgrounds in Gilbert WV. It was my first time and I had a blast, we traveled a total of 250 miles of trails, did hit the pavement for maybe a total of 20 miles, loved being on the pavement in the 25-35mph zones, but the 55 mph was super sketchy! Did not like that at all. We encountered all terrain from flat hard pack dirt to loose large rocks, creeks and rivers , mud. Outlaw trails were the best as they were mostly single lane grass and not much dust.

Grizzly never missed a beat. Had plenty of power to get through any uphill. It was a pretty plush ride, I feel like it didn't beat me to death. Although I did G out a couple of times. We were running a fast pace the first two days. I would guess an average close to 25-30 mph.

I was going to take all the plastic of and do a thorough power wash, but I did find that removing all plastic is a serious task. So I left the front fenders and rear fenders on.

Would love to make another trip maybe in October when it will be cooler.

#2 ·
Too hot already there? I'm waiting for the snow to melt here and it will be a couple months yet for that to happen.

#3 ·
A day in the woods, is a good day, a day in the woods on a Grizzly, is a great day.

Reactions: Blklab and TroyW
#4 ·
I was expecting there to be pictures in this thread.

Pics or it didn't happen :wink2:

Sounds like you had a blast!

#5 ·
Glad you had a good trip I can't wait to go next year

#7 ·
For those that have been to the HM trails. We did make a huge mistake , we wanted to cut off a few miles so we took a "black" trail. What a mistake, we ended up going straight up a massive big rocky uphill climb. Thank god there was a group of people at the top waiting for dumb asses like us to climb it. Needless to say we all got stuck 3/4's of the way up. They had to get on the side of us so we didn't roll back down the mountain. we all made it to the top, I can speak for myself, I needed a change of underware when I crested the top. :surprise::surprise:

Lesson Learned- no more black trails!!!!:wink2:

#8 ·
Looks like a great time, I really want to get out there some time thanks for the pics.

#9 ·
Troy, we are heading down to Hatfield next week and staying at twin hollow also. We have been to Ashland 3 times and rode all the trails over that way, but this is our first time twin hollow. I think we are going to have a little cooler weather than you did, highs in the low 70s with rain expected each day.
were you able to ride rockhouse, devil anse, and buffalo mountain? Where are their outlaw trails? We love the outlaw trails by Ashland and really want to hit some while at twin hollow.

Which trail did you guys get stuck on and required a new set of underwear?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Good to see you all had a great ride and that you enjoyed your first trip to H/M. The black trails can get tricky and it also depends on how long it has been since a dozer passed through the area. The black and red are a no go for our group and I'm not sure we could climb them without winches and spotting, trails 94, 95, & 35 at Rockhouse. Just remember not to head too far down a trail that you can't ride back up in case you have to turn around.

#11 ·
Myself and four other guys went to Hatfield McCoy trails and Outlaw trails this past Thursday,Friday,and Saturday and left early Sunday morning. We stayed at the Twin Hollow campgrounds in Gilbert WV. It was my first time and I had a blast, we traveled a total of 250 miles of trails, did hit the pavement for maybe a total of 20 miles, loved being on the pavement in the 25-35mph zones, but the 55 mph was super sketchy! Did not like that at all. We encountered all terrain from flat hard pack dirt to loose large rocks, creeks and rivers , mud. Outlaw trails were the best as they were mostly single lane grass and not much dust.

Grizzly never missed a beat. Had plenty of power to get through any uphill. It was a pretty plush ride, I feel like it didn't beat me to death. Although I did G out a couple of times. We were running a fast pace the first two days. I would guess an average close to 25-30 mph.

I was going to take all the plastic of and do a thorough power wash, but I did find that removing all plastic is a serious task. So I left the front fenders and rear fenders on.

Would love to make another trip maybe in October when it will be cooler.
Troy, we are heading down to Hatfield next week and staying at twin hollow also. We have been to Ashland 3 times and rode all the trails over that way, but this is our first time twin hollow. I think we are going to have a little cooler weather than you did, highs in the low 70s with rain expected each day.
were you able to ride rockhouse, devil anse, and buffalo mountain? Where are their outlaw trails? We love the outlaw trails by Ashland and really want to hit some while at twin hollow.

Which trail did you guys get stuck on and required a new set of underwear?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Yes, we rode all the trails you mentioned. If you ride down to the motorcycle repair shop forgot the name, ask about the outlaw trails. They are all over Gilbert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.