Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Grizzly vs Kodiak - What the Heck is the Difference?

115K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  oleblue22 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm still trying to find a decent price on an ATV, and now I'm finding that the Kodiak appears to have the same specs as a Grizzly, but the pricing is about $1000 lower. Why?

My purpose for buying an ATV is primarily to help develop a property I recently purchased, using an add-on three-point hitch and various tools that will attach to that. Trail riding and hunting are secondary to that purpose, and I'm beginning to think that the Kodiak might be a better match.

What are your thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
There's lots of differences that make the Grizzly worthwhile for a $1000 more, and betting those links you will get you all the details. The Kodiak is a great deal in that it lives in a class where the big motor is unheard of by the competition. If you are just considering money however, likely resale will hold much better for the Grizzly and you'll see a lot more for it when it comes time to sell. In the long run, the Grizzly may actually be less money, provided you don't get into modding.

While a Kodiak is the purpose-built tool for property management and hunting, it all comes down to the recreational trail riding you want to do, and where you want to do it. If you are looking for a light romp through the woods to enjoy nature, the Kodiak is quite competent at that. As your need for speed or technical trails increase, the Grizzly becomes the tool of choice. Both can be the workhorse, but only one will excel at spirited recreational riding.

Have you trail ridden before? If you haven't, you might be surprised at how much you like it, and later wished you spent the extra. If there's kids and others that will borrow it, the Kodiak will likely be less abused, as pushing it to the limit isn't going to be all that crazy.

Both are competent machines, and it's really more about you and how you intend to use it, and wether you'd rather pay the extra now, just in case your needs change over time. Good luck with your decision.

#4 ·
TL;DR version: Kodiak is clutched for more low end work and has no front diff lock.

#7 ·
User reogem, on here, ended up buying a '16 Kodiak for his gal and liked it so much, he went and bought one for himself. He has had plenty of experience on the pre'16 700 Grizzly so you may want to bend his ear a bit on the reasons why he went with new Kodiaks. He might actually be away on a trip returning soon if he doesn't get back to you right away.

#8 ·
Dual piston calipers all the way around on a Grizzly is another highpoint. While the LED lighting on the Grizzly still isn't acceptable for spirited night driving, it will through a bit more light on projects while you work around the property.

If your property requires a lot of heavy work like clearing a grove of trees, stump pulling, a long driveway that needs plowing, the gearing on the Kodiak will work better for that.

Both ATVs can do double duty. If your work is both your priority and don't mind a calmer trail ride, then get the Kodiak. If even though your work is your priority, but still want something spirited on the trail for fun, then put a grizzly in the garage.

EPS and better tires will make the biggest improvements overall, something you should budget for as well.

#9 ·
Thanks to all who provided information. While I've determined that my likely need won't exceed the capabilities of a Kodiak, I've decided to pursue a Grizzly. I visited my local Yamaha dealer today, and learned that they don't have any. I guess that's acceptable, since they're also a Harley Davidson dealer, and one of the largest biker events in the country will be happening here next weekend. I suspect that they've been tailoring their floor stock to satisfy that demand.

But using the Yamaha dealer stock search tool on the Internet, I found a dealer with a 2016 model, brand new, in nearby Las Vegas. My local dealer is going to try to steal that one for me, and if the price is right, I'll grab it. The listed price on the website was $8599, but I think that's a little high for an older model. If I can get them to accept $8000, I think I'll grab it next week.

#10 ·
Okay, I committed to the deal. I found an out of state dealer with a new 2016 Grizzly 700 EPS for sale for $8599. I think that's a bit high, considering what the flooring charges are eating up from the available margin - a smart dealer would drop it to $7500 and get it off the floor. But today I got my local dealer to agree to pick it up and sell it to me locally for $8500 plus the usual phony charges. Out the door, with all tags, taxes and licensing stuff it's going to be right at $10,000. Does anyone think I'm getting screwed?

Having worked for a Yamaha dealer many years ago, I know that I am getting screwed, but no more than anyone else. Dealer Prep is pure BS - they spend 30 minutes opening the crate, attaching a few pieces with a couple of screws, and adding oil to the crankcase - but they charge $700 and pay the technician who does the work $5. Pure profit with no value added for the customer. It's a scam, but it's an industry standard and there's no practical way to fight it.

I guess that, now that I'm about to become an owner, I'm going to become a regular here, rather than a sporadic visitor. Thanks to the powers that be for making a nice place for Grizzly owners to hang out!

Roger

Reactions: okbear
#11 ·
Welcome (back) to GC.

#12 ·
I spoke too soon - the dealer backed out of the bargain. But I found another dealer, a little closer, willing to do a deal on a Kodiak. When we spent some time discussing my plans, the dealer recommended the Kodiak, telling me that the Grizzly would be a waste of money. Apparently the one they have in stock has all the doodads one can buy, including hand warmers. I doubt that I'll need those here in the Mojave Desert. :)

I pick the new beast up in Parker, AZ tomorrow morning.

#13 ·
including hand warmers. I doubt that I'll need those here in the Mojave Desert. :)
Deserts can be pretty cold at night. You might use those warmers on an early morning ride.

#14 ·
Brown bears (Ursus arctos) are among the largest living carnivores on the planet. Within the species there is considerable variation between individuals, which has led to the formation of two different subspecies -- Kodiak bears (Ursus arctos middendorff) and grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis). Grizzly bears are the more common of the subspecies and are sometimes listed interchangeably with brown bears.

What Makes a Subspecies?

Though Kodiak bears and grizzly bears are part of the same species of brown bear, they are different enough to constitute two subspecies. A subspecies is a classification of life more specific than a species. Subspecies include organisms that are similar enough to one another to fall within the same species, but have enough distinctions to warrant further classification. Often members of two subspecies are able to interbreed and produce viable offspring, which members of different species cannot do.

Grizzly and Kodiak Geographic Range

The primary distinguishing feature between grizzly and Kodiak bears is where they live. The range of the Kodiak is limited to just the islands of the Kodiak archipelago of southwestern Alaska. This population of bears has been separated from the mainland animals for roughly 12,000 years, and this geographic isolation has allowed them to develop into their own subspecies. Grizzly bears, on the other hand, are much more widespread; they're generally found in inland areas of the Canadian provinces of the Northwest Territories, Yukon, British Columbia and Alberta, and the U.S. states of Alaska, Montana, Washington, Wyoming and Idaho.

Size Differences

The geographic differences between these two subspecies has also led to differences in size. Generally Kodiak bears have a larger bone structure, and therefore larger frames than grizzly bears, though both species can reach very large sizes. Kodiak bears are among the largest of all bears (averaging slightly smaller than polar bears), and males can reach weights of up to 1,500 pounds and are able to stand up to 10 feet tall when on their hind legs. Grizzly bears can weigh up to 1,150 pounds.

Behavioral Differences

Among the other distinguishing factors that can occur when two members of the same species are isolated from one another for long periods of time are differences in behavior and social structure. Kodiak bears' home range is able to support a higher population density of bears, due to plentiful food sources. Because of this, Kodiak bears have developed more complex social structures and communication to allow them to live together with minimal conflict.

#15 ·
Nah, I won't plan a ride on a cold day. :) It's already over 100 here and will stay that way for a while, so I can always consider an add-on if I think I need one.

And, I just got a call from the dealer - they screwed up and failed to check for recalls. The spring issue applies to this one, so they have to order the recall kit. Bummer. Oh well, maybe another week... Grrrrrr.

#17 ·
Thanks for the details, reogem. I'm only 5'6" myself, so a quad that's a little lower to the ground might be a good thing. I noticed the rear brake difference, and reached the same conclusion myself - sealed, less maintenance. Even on full sized vehicles, the open design of disk brakes exposes them to sand, and that stuff is rough on rotors. I'm going to have to study the roller weight issue - we don't have many steep grades around here, but I just might want to hunt elk one of these days, and they like rugged terrain. Until then, though, I doubt it will be a serious issue. Mostly I want to drag tools to clear and level my land, and I've found a company that makes an add-on hydraulic pump to power a front end loader for this machine. I think my little bear is going to be just the thing I need. Coincidentally, my Kodiak is blue, and so is the loader I'm looking at. Sounds like Destiny calling...

I've already ordered the service manual, and look forward to reading it. Years ago, when I worked the parts desk at my local Yamaha dealer, I read every book and watched every service video they had. On slow days, I took and passed every online test Yamaha offered, and was a certified 5-Star Technician for all product lines. None of our "official" mechanics ever did that. Everything's changed now, of course, so I'm looking forward to learning new stuff!

#30 ·
...and I've found a company that makes an add-on hydraulic pump to power a front end loader for this machine. I think my little bear is going to be just the thing I need. Coincidentally, my Kodiak is blue, and so is the loader I'm looking at. Sounds like Destiny calling...
I think you would be better suited to get a small compact tractor with a loader than put a loader on an ATV. I doubt an ATV loader will be very strong plus it will really abuse the ATV ...even a Yamaha!

#19 ·
I'm about 5-7 the Kodi is perfect for me it is so close in size to my 13 Griz hardly any dif... The biggest challenge for me was learning to use the ESP..Thousands of miles without it I tended to oversteer. Rode 350 miles couple weeks ago. I feel I got the hang of it now.
You should have an problem towing or haulin Elk. Just use low gear.
I think you'll like it.

Reactions: rawright54
#20 ·
The biggest challenge for me was learning to use the ESP..Thousands of miles without it I tended to oversteer.
Is that something your gal taught you? My wife has expected that out of me for years and I continually disappoint.

>:)

Reactions: reogem
#23 ·
#26 ·
I haven't yet figured out what those clutch weights do, nor why I'd want to change them. This is my first ATV, after all, and I have a bunch to learn!

#31 ·
The weights slide in or out from the center of axis in the turning primary pulley:) that hep ya?
Under the right side cover on the engine is the C.V.T. drive system of two pulleys and a belt, a pulley on a shaft driven by the engine crank and a secondary pulley to drive the transmission.
Inside the primary pulley driven by the engine are six slots with a weight in each, and these slots hold the weights that slide in or out due to centrifugal force.
Also inside the primary sheave is a cam plate which is bolted to the shaft. The sheave slides is and out from the engine on a collar. The cam plate is hard steel with ramps angled in, and as the weights get slung to the outside diameter of the primary they run against the cam plate which forces them in against the sheave, and this squeezes the sheave into the belt to make the belt ride higher in the primary and this reduces the pulley ratio and makes the grizz accelerate.
Heavier weights react faster, and the Kodiak has heavier weights than a grizz. We change weights to alter how the C.V.T. system transfers power through the belt to drive the transmission. Also, we shim the primary to change the starting pulley ratio for harder low end pull, and machine the primary for more improvement than can be had with shim alone.
Some members also cut the cam plate to change the rate of up-shift once the best weights for their riding conditions are determined.
To get started many have watched this video several times to understand how the parts work together to make the system work.

You are about to bitten by the mod bug, join the crowd:)

#29 ·
Congrats on the new toy, now go have some fun!

#35 ·
I just moved from an indestructible 2013 Griz 700 to the 2016 Kodiak 700. I can tell you that the 2016 Kodi is all the machine that the 13 was/is and more. I choose the Kodiak 700 because it has the same frame as the 2013. It is 2 inches narrower and is much better for the tight trails I ride. I have a little over 3000 miles on it with out missing a beat..Only maintenance other than oil changes and air filter changes is a new set of brake pads on the front.
The Grizz may have a higher resale value but I ride 5-6000 miles a year and neither will be worth much in 3-4 years.

Reactions: Jaybird_88
#41 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum doing some research. I had sat on a 2018 Kodiak and Grizzly and decided the Kodiak fit me better. I went to a well known Yamaha dealer and sat on a 2020 Grizzly SE and 2020 Kodiak EPS and they seem to sit the same? I intended to buy the Kodiak, but she offered me the Grizzly SE for only $300 more than the Kodiak with a winch added by the dealer. I didn't jump on the Grizzly for two reasons - 1) 9.9% this is going to be used for hunting, hanging stands, helping with food plots, etc. 2) The gray Grizzly just seems a strange choice for a hunting vehicle - am I an idiot for not taking the Grizz over the Kodiak for $300 more OTD? I do expect the Grizz would have higher resale.
Thanks,
Jack

#42 ·
I feel the Kodi is a better machine for trail riding. The seat height is actually 3" lower than the Griz it also 2" narrower it has a tighter turning radius and is somewhat lighter. Why they only want 300 more is any ones guess. Real bad color how many hours on the NEW Griz.
That putty gray is the nastiest color on the planet.
It is true the Griz would have higher resale.

#50 ·
Maybe they have the Kodi way over priced.
This is the 19 LE I bought last August. 8400.00 out the door. They gave me 4500 trade for my 2016 Kodi with 15000 miles on it.
This Kodi 700 is almost exactly the same as my 2013 700 Griz. It has wet brakes vs traditional disk brakes. Never touched the wet brakes on the 2016.
I just put these tires and rims on it.

#44 ·
Height makes a big difference. At 6" tall I can't stand the sitting position of the kodiak and will probably never own one because of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.