Grizzly vs Kodiak - What the Heck is the Difference? - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old 04-19-2017, 01:53 AM Thread Starter

Grizzly vs Kodiak - What the Heck is the Difference?

I'm still trying to find a decent price on an ATV, and now I'm finding that the Kodiak appears to have the same specs as a Grizzly, but pricing is about $1000 lower. Why?

My purpose for buying an ATV is primarily to help develop a property I recently purchased, using an add-on three-point hitch and various tools that will attach to that. Trail riding and hunting are secondary to that purpose, and I'm beginning to think that the Kodiak might be a better match.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 AM

Thanked 1,149 Times in 751 Posts

I searched "kodiak" in title and found the following:

Grizzly vs Kodiak 2017

Grizzly and Kodiak Clutching

Kodiak VS. Grizzle???

Potential Grizzly/Kodiak 700 owner-- few quick questions

2016 grizz/kodiak questions

07 Blue Grizzly 700 EPS
26" GBC Grim Reapers - 14" Machined ITP SS212s . Moose dual zone heated grips & thumb . Viper Max 3K w/AmSteel-Blue Rope . Coop45 Mod 3, EPI Purple spring . Rox Risers & Aero Fly bars . Totron 12" combo LED bar . Rigid Duallys (angled out) . xxbilletxx 1" front spacers . Yamaha HD front bumper . ODI Rogue lock-on grips . Ricochet skids - full set . Plano 1510 rear box . Elka Stage 3's . Back-up lights . Electrical stuff . Gold plugs x3 . Grip mitts . Uni Filter . AmsOil . Halos

Last edited by BDSNJ; 04-19-2017 at 07:56 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BDSNJ For This Useful Post:
oleblue22 (04-22-2017), rawright54 (04-19-2017)
post #3 of 33 Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
There's lots of differences that make the Grizzly worthwhile for a $1000 more, and betting those links you will get you all the details. The Kodiak is a great deal in that it lives in a class where the big motor is unheard of by the competition. If you are just considering money however, likely resale will hold much better for the Grizzly and you'll see a lot more for it when it comes time to sell. In the long run, the Grizzly may actually be less money, provided you don't get into modding.

While a Kodiak is the purpose-built tool for property management and hunting, it all comes down to the recreational trail riding you want to do, and where you want to do it. If you are looking for a light romp through the woods to enjoy nature, the Kodiak is quite competent at that. As your need for speed or technical trails increase, the Grizzly becomes the tool of choice. Both can be the workhorse, but only one will excel at spirited recreational riding.

Have you trail ridden before? If you haven't, you might be surprised at how much you like it, and later wished you spent the extra. If there's kids and others that will borrow it, the Kodiak will likely be less abused, as pushing it to the limit isn't going to be all that crazy.

Both are competent machines, and it's really more about you and how you intend to use it, and wether you'd rather pay the extra now, just in case your needs change over time. Good luck with your decision.

2016 Grizz EPS LE
Painted Red Winter Edition
26x9-12, 26x12-12 Bighorn OG
Just purchased, give me some time and this list will get much longer. Best mod here is the San Juan Mountains!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Telluride For This Useful Post:
okbear (04-23-2017), rawright54 (04-19-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 04-19-2017, 03:55 PM
Grand High Inquisitioner

TL;DR version: Kodiak is clutched for more low end work and has no front diff lock.

2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS (Green)
26" Pitbull Growler tires.
Warn 3000 winch w/synthetic line.
Folding windshield.
Rear window.
Rear accessory bar.
Over fender kit.

2015 Grizzly 700 EPS SE Silver
Iron Baltic Skid Plate Kit.
Warn 2500 winch
Heat Demon heated grips/thumb warmer.
Street legal kit
Wheels: Douglas Rattlesnake (machined outer)
Tires: 26" Bighorn 2.0

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS SE (Carbon Metallic) [Sold]
2007 Grizzly 700 EPS (Deep Purplish Blue) [Sold]
2007 Grizzly 700 EPS (Special Edition Silver) [Sold]
post #5 of 33 Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
and has no front diff lock.
with the exception of the SE trim

2016 Kodiak 700
24g Dr Pulley
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rollin For This Useful Post:
outbackandy (04-19-2017), Scoundrel (04-19-2017)
post #6 of 33 Old 04-20-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoundrel View Post
TL;DR version: Kodiak is clutched for more low end work and has no front diff lock.
The grizzly and the kodiak have different seat heights and riding ergonomics as well, i'd say that's also pretty significant. There's also the issue with the kodiak 25" tires and the grizzly 26" which can be nice if you don't plan on replacing them.

If you don't need electronically controlled diff locking or even EPS, i'd say go for the kodiak. If you want the kodiak SE with eps and diff lock, try sitting on both models, even riding them if you can, just to see which one suits you ergonomically.

2016 Grizzly 700 SE, black Yamaha rims and 8 mm UHMW skid plates.
post #7 of 33 Old 04-20-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 774 Posts

Garage
User reogem, on here, ended up buying a '16 Kodiak for his gal and liked it so much, he went and bought one for himself. He has had plenty of experience on the pre'16 700 Grizzly so you may want to bend his ear a bit on the reasons why he went with new Kodiaks. He might actually be away on a trip returning soon if he doesn't get back to you right away.

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedRocket For This Useful Post:
rawright54 (05-02-2017), reogem (05-02-2017)
post #8 of 33 Old 04-20-2017, 10:05 AM

Garage
Dual piston calipers all the way around on a Grizzly is another highpoint. While the LED lighting on the Grizzly still isn't acceptable for spirited night driving, it will through a bit more light on projects while you work around the property.

If your property requires a lot of heavy work like clearing a grove of trees, stump pulling, a long driveway that needs plowing, the gearing on the Kodiak will work better for that.

Both ATVs can do double duty. If your work is both your priority and don't mind a calmer trail ride, then get the Kodiak. If even though your work is your priority, but still want something spirited on the trail for fun, then put a grizzly in the garage.

EPS and better tires will make the biggest improvements overall, something you should budget for as well.

2016 Grizz EPS LE
Painted Red Winter Edition
26x9-12, 26x12-12 Bighorn OG
Just purchased, give me some time and this list will get much longer. Best mod here is the San Juan Mountains!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Telluride For This Useful Post:
Brasco (05-05-2017), okbear (04-23-2017), rawright54 (04-20-2017)
post #9 of 33 Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to all who provided information. While I've determined that my likely need won't exceed the capabilities of a Kodiak, I've decided to pursue a Grizzly. I visited my local Yamaha dealer today, and learned that they don't have any. I guess that's acceptable, since they're also a Harley Davidson dealer, and one of the largest biker events in the country will be happening here next weekend. I suspect that they've been tailoring their floor stock to satisfy that demand.

But using the Yamaha dealer stock search tool on the Internet, I found a dealer with a 2016 model, brand new, in nearby Las Vegas. My local dealer is going to try to steal that one for me, and if the price is right, I'll grab it. The listed price on the website was $8599, but I think that's a little high for an older model. If I can get them to accept $8000, I think I'll grab it next week.
post #10 of 33 Old 04-23-2017, 01:42 AM Thread Starter

Okay, I committed to the deal. I found an out of state dealer with a new 2016 Grizzly 700 EPS for sale for $8599. I think that's a bit high, considering what the flooring charges are eating up from the available margin - a smart dealer would drop it to $7500 and get it off the floor. But today I got my local dealer to agree to pick it up and sell it to me locally for $8500 plus the usual phony charges. Out the door, with all tags, taxes and licensing stuff it's going to be right at $10,000. Does anyone think I'm getting screwed?

Having worked for a Yamaha dealer many years ago, I know that I am getting screwed, but no more than anyone else. Dealer Prep is pure BS - they spend 30 minutes opening the crate, attaching a few pieces with a couple of screws, and adding oil to the crankcase - but they charge $700 and pay the technician who does the work $5. Pure profit with no value added for the customer. It's a scam, but it's an industry standard and there's no practical way to fight it.

I guess that, now that I'm about to become an owner, I'm going to become a regular here, rather than a sporadic visitor. Thanks to the powers that be for making a nice place for Grizzly owners to hang out!

Roger
The Following User Says Thank You to rawright54 For This Useful Post:
okbear (04-23-2017)
post #11 of 33 Old 04-23-2017, 01:56 AM

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,223 Posts

Welcome (back) to GC.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #12 of 33 Old 05-02-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

I spoke too soon - the dealer backed out of the bargain. But I found another dealer, a little closer, willing to do a deal on a Kodiak. When we spent some time discussing my plans, the dealer recommended the Kodiak, telling me that the Grizzly would be a waste of money. Apparently the one they have in stock has all the doodads one can buy, including hand warmers. I doubt that I'll need those here in the Mojave Desert. :-)

I pick the new beast up in Parker, AZ tomorrow morning.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-02-2017, 12:27 PM
Grand High Inquisitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawright54 View Post
including hand warmers. I doubt that I'll need those here in the Mojave Desert. :-)
Deserts can be pretty cold at night. You might use those warmers on an early morning ride.

2017 Wolverine R-Spec EPS (Green)
26" Pitbull Growler tires.
Warn 3000 winch w/synthetic line.
Folding windshield.
Rear window.
Rear accessory bar.
Over fender kit.

2015 Grizzly 700 EPS SE Silver
Iron Baltic Skid Plate Kit.
Warn 2500 winch
Heat Demon heated grips/thumb warmer.
Street legal kit
Wheels: Douglas Rattlesnake (machined outer)
Tires: 26" Bighorn 2.0

2016 Grizzly 700 EPS SE (Carbon Metallic) [Sold]
2007 Grizzly 700 EPS (Deep Purplish Blue) [Sold]
2007 Grizzly 700 EPS (Special Edition Silver) [Sold]
post #14 of 33 Old 05-02-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Brown bears (Ursus arctos) are among the largest living carnivores on the planet. Within the species there is considerable variation between individuals, which has led to the formation of two different subspecies -- Kodiak bears (Ursus arctos middendorff) and grizzlies (Ursus arctos horribilis). Grizzly bears are the more common of the subspecies and are sometimes listed interchangeably with brown bears.

What Makes a Subspecies?

Though Kodiak bears and grizzly bears are part of the same species of brown bear, they are different enough to constitute two subspecies. A subspecies is a classification of life more specific than a species. Subspecies include organisms that are similar enough to one another to fall within the same species, but have enough distinctions to warrant further classification. Often members of two subspecies are able to interbreed and produce viable offspring, which members of different species cannot do.

Grizzly and Kodiak Geographic Range

The primary distinguishing feature between grizzly and Kodiak bears is where they live. The range of the Kodiak is limited to just the islands of the Kodiak archipelago of southwestern Alaska. This population of bears has been separated from the mainland animals for roughly 12,000 years, and this geographic isolation has allowed them to develop into their own subspecies. Grizzly bears, on the other hand, are much more widespread; they're generally found in inland areas of the Canadian provinces of the Northwest Territories, Yukon, British Columbia and Alberta, and the U.S. states of Alaska, Montana, Washington, Wyoming and Idaho.

Size Differences

The geographic differences between these two subspecies has also led to differences in size. Generally Kodiak bears have a larger bone structure, and therefore larger frames than grizzly bears, though both species can reach very large sizes. Kodiak bears are among the largest of all bears (averaging slightly smaller than polar bears), and males can reach weights of up to 1,500 pounds and are able to stand up to 10 feet tall when on their hind legs. Grizzly bears can weigh up to 1,150 pounds.

Behavioral Differences

Among the other distinguishing factors that can occur when two members of the same species are isolated from one another for long periods of time are differences in behavior and social structure. Kodiak bears' home range is able to support a higher population density of bears, due to plentiful food sources. Because of this, Kodiak bears have developed more complex social structures and communication to allow them to live together with minimal conflict.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JCat For This Useful Post:
BDSNJ (05-02-2017), rawright54 (05-02-2017)
post #15 of 33 Old 05-02-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Nah, I won't plan a ride on a cold day. :-) It's already over 100 here and will stay that way for a while, so I can always consider an add-on if I think I need one.

And, I just got a call from the dealer - they screwed up and failed to check for recalls. The spring issue applies to this one, so they have to order the recall kit. Bummer. Oh well, maybe another week... Grrrrrr.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode