07 700 Trouble - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

07 700 Trouble

Hi Guys,
My 4wd is doing some weird stuff, firstly with all 4 wheels off the ground(not in 4x4) if i spin 1 front wheel the other side also spins but in the opposite direction, im pretty sure that shouldnt happen. 2nd my diff lock when engaged the light flashes, seems to work while i have it in the air although suddenly now(while in the air will all 4 wheels off the ground) if i gas it it spits and sputters like when its in reverse. Diff lock hasnt worked properly in a while, im pretty sure its the servo its the front wheels that seem to engaged that has me worried.
Ant thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM

Thanked 1,193 Times in 887 Posts

WWW.501 parts.com oleblue22 is the person you want to talk to. He is a GC member and site sponsor.

07 GRIZZLY 700 eps in CAMO
12" ITP SD Series Single Bead Locks W/
27" ITP Black Water EVO'S
OMI greaseable steering stem mount
Upgraded Stator/ Crankcase Cover
JBS Sheave,16gr.Ods,Gold Spring
ROX PowerMadd handguards
ROX 5in. Grizzly 700 package
Trail Bright Led Back-up Light
J&T atv Digital Temp. Gauge
Heat Demon heated grips
Yamaha rear storage box
2012 oil access footrest
Kuryakyn battery meter
XXbilletXX 1" spacers
Yamaha overfenders
Blue Sea Fuse Block
Yamaha Glide Plate
Level One footpegs
ELKA'S STAGE 3
ODI Rogue grips
Trail Tech Tach
Warn 3500-s
UNI air filter
Gold Plugs
LED bulbs
Tiger Tail

The Following User Says Thank You to PA. GRIZZLY For This Useful Post:
oleblue22 (04-22-2017)
post #3 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 04:34 PM

Thanked 1,128 Times in 734 Posts

X2 on oleblue22!

You can go to Tools, Advanced Search, Search by User Name - to find numerous posts by him that might help, or at least show he is the person to ask!

And, I'm pretty sure any differential will have one wheel spin the opposite direction when in the air.

07 Blue Grizzly 700 EPS
26" GBC Grim Reapers - 14" Machined ITP SS212s . Moose dual zone heated grips & thumb . Viper Max 3K w/AmSteel-Blue Rope . Coop45 Mod 3, EPI Purple spring . Rox Risers & Aero Fly bars . Totron 12" combo LED bar . Rigid Duallys (angled out) . xxbilletxx 1" front spacers . Yamaha HD front bumper . ODI Rogue lock-on grips . Ricochet skids - full set . Plano 1510 rear box . Elka Stage 3's . Back-up lights . Electrical stuff . Gold plugs x3 . Grip mitts . Uni Filter . AmsOil . Halos
The Following User Says Thank You to BDSNJ For This Useful Post:
oleblue22 (04-22-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 04:51 PM

Thanked 1,070 Times in 848 Posts

It seems your servo is not working. When in 2wd, the front wheels are unlocked from each other. When you spin one tire, the other should stay still.
When in 4wd, you will get the results you got. Spin or tire forward, the other tire will spin backwards. That's normal operation. It's due to how a open differential works with spider gears.

Only lift the front of the bike, place the switch into 2wd and see if you can still turn both front tires at the same time (in the same direction). If the servo is working correctly, you should have no problem doing so. But I am betting in your case, your will not be able to do it. I suspect your stuck in 4wd.

When you operate the switch between 2wd/4wd/diff-lock, do you hear a noise coming from the servo? You should.

I'll also second what others have said. Go to 501parts.com website. Follow the troubleshooting information there.
The Following User Says Thank You to dezz For This Useful Post:
oleblue22 (04-22-2017)
post #5 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

I can hear the servo both for 4x4 and diff lock. with the front lifted and in 2wd the wheels both spin, opposite of each other, if i engage 4x4 they wont spin. So i suppose that its stuck in 4wd but the fronts dont lock until i put it 4x4. Is there a servo for the transfer case, does it even have a transfer case....
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2017, 05:50 PM

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,947 Posts

No transfer case.
With all 4 off the ground in 2x4, if you hold the front, the rear tire(s) can be turned by hand as the diff. is disengaged. You should see the front driveshaft turn with the rear tires.
In 4x4, holding the front brake should prevent you from turning the rear tires.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring, 21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate. 2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts, Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 AM

Thanks guys for all the recommendations, I appreciate it.

From what you are saying, it is stuck in 4wd and not going into diff lock causing the sputtering like others have said. There are some things you can test to narrow down what your problem is.

First, pull the servo off the differential and do the two c-battery test on it to ensure it's working properly. You'll have the 3B4 servo on the 2008 so you can fast forward to that in the video if you need help testing that.

The servo should go from the F mark on the black case (2wd) to the R mark (diff lock). If it does, I'd consider it working properly for now.

Next reach inside the diff and make sure you can slide the gear back and forth with your finger, you may have to roll a front wheel a bit, but it should go freely back and forth.

If it does, I would check the relays next.
On the 07-08's you have the 5EA relay which is a black relay usually has NAIS on top with the 5EA number in small writing and you have two 5DM relays. They say Omron on top with a G8HN-1C4t number on top.. Two of the G8HN relays operate the 4wd and the 5EA should control the diff lock.

If you find your relays are functioning properly, go ahead and check your switch. There is a video on that also that you may find helpful.

See where you get after you do this, just remember, servo, relays, and switch..major 4wd electrical components. The CDI does come into play to but typically that is the last thing to mess with. Wiring also can be and is a common issue. If you get to that point, you'll want to give your wiring from the servo and relays a good check looking for breaks and tears in the wiring insulation.

Yamaha ATV/SxS 4wd System Parts and Repair

4wd problems? Start here..

Troubleshooting | 501 Parts ...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oleblue22 For This Useful Post:
it400 (04-22-2017), monksblood (04-25-2017), wgc (04-22-2017)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode