Stalled out in deep water! Help. Runs fine, but is it fine? - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exclamation Stalled out in deep water! Help. Runs fine, but is it fine?

I just stalled out for the first time in water... It got deep, unexpectedly, but the bike bogged down and stalled out. I immediately started it back up, hit my diff lock on, kept it going and barely got out of the water hole! once I hit land, I gunned it to get any water out of the exhaust, and then it ran fine after that. But thing is, I have no idea exactly what bogged it out, and what kind of checks I should make to make sure everything is okay. I thought it was water getting into the exhaust that caused it... Also, It was a little chilly out today, and I read that steam can enter your air intake and stall it out... That might of been what happened, but not sure. Any help would be much appreciated. This is my first fourwheeler, so alot of things are all new to me.

I also read that is good to check your oil after bogging out in water to make sure there is no water in it. I also read that is recommended to put some dielectric grease in the spark plug boot to prevent this from happening again, if of course that is what caused it.

2014 Yamaha Grizzly 450 EPS Hunter Edition:

• High Lifter 2 inch lift
  • 1mm Shim + Blue Secondary Spring + 18g OD Weights
  • 26 in CST Wild Thangs on ITP Hurricane rims
  • Bison Brush guards
  • Side fender flares
  • HMF Performance Blackout exhaust
  • K&N Air Filter
  • PC Racing Flo steel reusable oil filter
  • Tungsten 4x4 3000lbs winch
  • Moose Racing Performance Drive belt
  • Powermadd Sentinel hand guards with LED light kit
  • Aluminium Products - Full Body Skid plate + A-Arm Guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM

If it's running fine and there's no water contamination in the oil then you should be fine. Especially seeing as it started right away. Yes dielectric grease on ALL your electrical connections is an advantage. It's likely just had some water in the exhaust. Or the plug shorted. Either way you did the right thing. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

2015 Grizzly 700

HW Sheeve with 1.0 mm & Purple Spring
28" Mega Mayhems 14" HD5 Beadlocks
3.5 Rox Riser with Protaper Contours
EHS Lid with Intake Pod filter mod
Stage 3 Elka Shocks ( to come)
Winch with wireless remote
2R Exhaust Tip
Bullet Box
Gear bag
The Following User Says Thank You to AGRV8TD For This Useful Post:
Bperley (04-20-2017)
post #3 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 06:42 PM

Oh and a good way to check your oil for water is to put a drop in a clean dry teaspoon and heat it with a lighter. If it starts to spit and sizzle it had water. Also if it's a milky Color. But that means a lot of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark

2015 Grizzly 700

HW Sheeve with 1.0 mm & Purple Spring
28" Mega Mayhems 14" HD5 Beadlocks
3.5 Rox Riser with Protaper Contours
EHS Lid with Intake Pod filter mod
Stage 3 Elka Shocks ( to come)
Winch with wireless remote
2R Exhaust Tip
Bullet Box
Gear bag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 07:28 PM

Thanked 3,197 Times in 2,008 Posts

You can pull the drain on the C.V.T. cover to know if water came down the vent intake or exhaust, and also check for water in the air filter box.
I don't think you got deep enough to have water in these areas but its easy to check.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
post #5 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you. Appreciate it. I will definitely be putting some dgrease on the plug. I will check the plug on the cvt as well, and check the oil tomorrow.

I already checked the air filter box and didn't see any water, just a little dry mud splatter on the inside. I didn't go over the seat, but it got deep enough for the exhaust...

• Bison Brush guards
  • Side fender flares
  • K&N Air Filter
post #6 of 13 Old 04-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,223 Posts

I had the steam thing happen on our AR trip last year. The water was only about half way up the tires but I entered that stream pretty fast. It was a little embarrassing as I had my buddy on his popo that I had been talking sh!t on for the last couple years. It fired right back up and we rode on. I'd bet that's what happened to yours.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
post #7 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 06:03 AM

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,329 Posts

Sounds like steam killed it, google Grizzly central sunk Grizz for some knowledge when it really goes wrong.

Consider snorkel kit if you ride a lot of water.

YACC MEMBER # 7

2015 Grizzly 700 Eps, Warn Winch, Richochet full plate skids, OEM Hand Guards, Rigid Duallies, Fender Flares

2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS
My Sons: 29.5 laws or 27" Bighorns or 27" XTR's, Bunch of stuff.
2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS Yamaha skid plates, Yamaha hand guard, Yamaha brush guard, Moose Rear Bumper, Moose fender flares, ATV Nerf Bars, Richochet Floor skids, EPI Clutch Kit, Rigid Duallies, 1mm shim, Moose GPS Finger Grip mount, Garmin GPS, Warn winch, Yamaha Rear Storage Box, Performance Snorkles, 27" Bighorns, SS12 ITP Platinum rims.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrMud For This Useful Post:
Bperley (04-20-2017)
post #8 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bperley View Post
I already checked the air filter box and didn't see any water, just a little dry mud splatter on the inside. I didn't go over the seat, but it got deep enough for the exhaust...
No water in the airbox is the most important, just check the oil and open the CVT drain plug. No water in the CVT housing means it's probably steam or too much exhaust back pressure.

2016 Grizzly 700 SE, black Yamaha rims and 8 mm UHMW skid plates.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeFeldz For This Useful Post:
Bperley (04-20-2017)
post #9 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMud View Post
Sounds like steam killed it, google Grizzly central sunk Grizz for some knowledge when it really goes wrong.

Consider snorkel kit if you ride a lot of water.

Yeah it's very possible it was steam. It was a bit colder out yesterday too, I'm sure that didn't help. This was the first time I went through this trail without snow, and there was alot of looong narrow washouts. It wasn't that deep for the most part, then all of a sudden I hit some soft mud and just sunk! I was going slow to begin with to be careful of upcoming holes, but this was suprised me. So I didn't get a chance to hammer it before it stalled out. I turned the key off, back on, put in neutral, started it (barely), hit diff lock, pumped the gas and crawled my way out just enough to get on the bank and gunned it. I don't know how I managed to crawl out with barely any power, but some how I did! and lucky for a that little flat spot that was there for me to crawl up. The rest of the trail was fine, and wasn't so deep and mostly hard bottom, but I'm definitely taking note of that one spot! I don't intend to go in water that deep, but first time on trails during spring, so I'm just learning the spots as I go. Next time I'm going to poke around with a stick!

As for the snorkels, I have no plans for them, and I'm pretty sure they're illegal in the state of Maine.

• Bison Brush guards
  • Side fender flares
  • K&N Air Filter
post #10 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another thing, it just so happens that before I went for a ride yesterday, before this happened, I had turned my idle down as I felt it was idling too high, but I think I might of turned it down too low... could of been a contributing factor? I will be turning it up a little more for sure, and definintely putting some dielectric grease in the spark plug cap.

And as far as applying dielectric grease on all the plugs... When I was having eps issues, I did clean out all the plugs I believe were for the eps and put grease in them, but not sure what other plugs would be important to put the grease on? ones that might contribute to cutting or stalling out? I did all the ones under the back left fender ( I think like 5?), and the ones on the cdi box, and also all the ones just underneath the seat on left side of frame, and did two under the front, one on the eps unit and another near the left tire, just behind the plastics.

• Bison Brush guards
  • Side fender flares
  • K&N Air Filter
post #11 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Dialectric grease is an insulator, the best way to use it is to put it on in a manner that the electronic metal connectors don't get any on them if possible, then squish plug together, I did not do my spark plug that way though, Had a Canam friend that had multiple codes due to dialectic grease on his contacts, causing all kinds of problems.

My son and I played in water pretty hard, we only coated the spark plug, and never did any others. Many members recommend this though, still doubt if very many played in water and mud any harder than we use too, still have both machines.

YACC MEMBER # 7

2015 Grizzly 700 Eps, Warn Winch, Richochet full plate skids, OEM Hand Guards, Rigid Duallies, Fender Flares

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS Yamaha skid plates, Yamaha hand guard, Yamaha brush guard, Moose Rear Bumper, Moose fender flares, ATV Nerf Bars, Richochet Floor skids, EPI Clutch Kit, Rigid Duallies, 1mm shim, Moose GPS Finger Grip mount, Garmin GPS, Warn winch, Yamaha Rear Storage Box, Performance Snorkles, 27" Bighorns, SS12 ITP Platinum rims.
post #12 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMud View Post
Dialectric grease is an insulator, the best way to use it is to put it on in a manner that the electronic metal connectors don't get any on them if possible, then squish plug together, I did not do my spark plug that way though, Had a Canam friend that had multiple codes due to dialectic grease on his contacts, causing all kinds of problems.

My son and I played in water pretty hard, we only coated the spark plug, and never did any others. Many members recommend this though, still doubt if very many played in water and mud any harder than we use too, still have both machines.

Hrmm yeah, I don't think I did it that way, I just squished a bit on both ends of the plugs. I figured that it would squeeze out any excess grease out of the metal connectors. It never said exactly how to do it. Sounds like I might have to clean them all out again? I haven't had any electrical problems or anything, except maybe my reverse light blinks when idling. But I read that it might be that the fourwheeler is idling too high, so I turned it down yesterday, and maybe a bit too low.

• Bison Brush guards
  • Side fender flares
  • K&N Air Filter
post #13 of 13 Old 04-20-2017, 05:35 PM

I would ride it, the more that you connect and reconnect the more issues are possible to create.

YACC MEMBER # 7

The Following User Says Thank You to DrMud For This Useful Post:
Bperley (04-20-2017)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode