Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Grizzly 660 Low Top Speed

9K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Mad Mike 
#1 ·
Hey everybody, finally got my first Grizzly. It's a 2004 660 with 28" mudlites with beadlocks. I got water and sand in my snorkel already, so I took off the cover and cleaned both of my sheaves with a waterhose (maybe a bad idea there). I also took my carb apart and cleaned it. I just checked the top speed today and I hit 44-46mph. That seems really low compared to others at 68-69mph. I already adjusted my speed limiter to it's factory setting. I don't know what else to do. The grizzly has lots of low end power, but when it hits 40 mph it feels like it's planing out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#4 ·
I have a 2004 Grizzly and my top end was only 51mph. I have changed the weights, jet kit, air filter, and cdi box. was expecting a lot more out of a 660. KillinTime22, what pulleys are you talking about? I added more grease to my clutch and weights as I thought more would help it move easily as well.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Grizzly 660 top speed???

I recently bought a 04 grizzly 660. I Have 26" tires, light weight clutch weights, dynojet kit, air filter, and upgraded cdi box. Well yesterday was the first time to ride it and was not impressed. top speed was little over 50mph and it took a long time to get there. brothers rubicon 500 was going faster than me. wondering if anyone has any ideas to what the problem is or is this what I am to expect? I pulled my clutch apart to make sure everything was together good and the weights were in proper. I regreased and added a lot as I thought that might be the problem.

!! HELP PLEASE !!

Thread merged with thread on the same subject and original thread moved to proper forum.

#6 ·
I recently bought a 04 grizzly 660. I Have 26" tires, light weight clutch weights, dynojet kit, air filter, and upgraded cdi box. Well yesterday was the first time to ride it and was not impressed. top speed was little over 50mph and it took a long time to get there. brothers rubicon 500 was going faster than me. wondering if anyone has any ideas to what the problem is or is this what I am to expect? I pulled my clutch apart to make sure everything was together good and the weights were in proper. I regreased and added a lot as I thought that might be the problem.

!! HELP PLEASE !!

Thread merged with thread on the same subject and original thread moved to proper forum.
Maybe there are just some technicality problems. Why don't you go check it their website.

#7 ·
did you take apart the primary and clean and re-grease? if not you need to I would bet there is sand/mud holding the rollers from shifting out all the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.