Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

grizzly noise need help

This is a discussion on grizzly noise need help within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; alright when i apply my brakes hard or jump it it makes a clunking noise until im done breaking. also it will make the same ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

kwit is on a distinguished road
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
grizzly noise need help

alright when i apply my brakes hard or jump it it makes a clunking noise until im done breaking. also it will make the same noise when im goin over ruff terrian and it gets jolted around enough. so i was looking at it today. my axles are all nice and tight and my rear caliper is fine... im goin out to check the front ones right now. anyone got any ideas? this is driving me nuts
kwit is offlineReport Post

07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
ok well i narrowd it down to use of the left hand brake and the rear foot pedal. i checked the rear caliper but its on there real tight. any ideas? the rotor seems to be tight as well

Fate00 is on a distinguished road

07-29-2009, 05:17 AM
Mine does it also. I don't think anything is wrong, When I apply the brake hard to lock up the rear wheels the clutch starts making a clicking sound, I think it might be the clutch winding down from a fast speed to help with the engine brake. I'm not an expert but thats what is sounds like to me.

2R Exhaust Tip
Fate00 is offlineReport Post

sookiesmacker is infamous around these parts

07-29-2009, 08:55 AM
It's the engine brake. It sounds like your an aggressive rider.
I noticed this on mine when I first got it.(I think it may be belt slap on the cvt)
It's an automatic tranny thing, you'll adjust your style of braking on your own as you get used to the tranny.

Nothing wrong with the wheeler, have a blast!!!!!!!
sookiesmacker is offlineReport Post

07-29-2009, 10:04 AM
is there an adjustment for the engine break? surely this can be improved upon. while i am a mildly aggresive rider, this same noise happends when say i blip the throttle over a 1ft mound of dirt or start get jolted arond by a few 6 inch rocks. ill admit im paying close attention to it but i can still clearly hear it through my full face gear helmet and it is quit loud. its more of a clunk clunk CLUNK! anything else i should check ? drive shafts diffs? this is my first 4x4. ...theres alot to them. 3 wheelers are simple lol

grizzhauler is on a distinguished road

07-29-2009, 11:37 AM
sounds like you have a 660 grizzly if so the noise is normal from what i heard on both of my old 660,s.havent heard this noise on my 700

Last edited by grizzhauler; 07-29-2009 at 11:38 AM..
grizzhauler is offlineReport Post

Grizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
Ive heard some clunking on hard breaking before, i think its drivetrain slack or something similar, at least thats what it sounds like to me.
08' Grizzly 700 EPS: US Yamaha front brushguard, Full ricochet skids, 3.5" Rox risers, solex bars, odi grips, rox handguards, 27" Maxxis zillas, Tamarack Classic box, Viper 3k winch, 2r tip, 2r foot pegs and traction rails, 2r front receiver, uni filter, pod mod, hanger mod, greasless, Rigid D2s, Rigid 10" SR

2013 Can Am Renegade 1000 XXC

Lots o' mods
Grizzrider08 is offlineReport Post

07-29-2009, 02:23 PM
yea thats kinda what i think it might be is drivetrain slack. it happends everytime i use the back breaks and everytime i get bounced around alittle bit.. id like to get it figured out. does anyone have any ideas on which parts or the drive train to take aprtand check? id liek to fix this i jusut paid 3800 bucks for this and that noise is killin me. it cant be normal. is there thrust washers in the drive train for the rear? i got to do this me self i dont want to send it to the dealer and get rapped for a grand for somthing dumb like a driveshaft installation. im a mechanic i can handle it i just need to know where to start. im gunna take off the rear calipe and messaround with the rear drive shaft tonight
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2009, 02:38 PM
the noise your hearing is the clutch it can`t back shift if the rear wheels are locked up or not moving. kinda like the belt sticking and not moving up on the rear sheave. causing a clunking noise normal if we are on the same page
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
is there a way to fix that? it also does this while rideing nad hittig small bumps with out the brakes applied and without locking up the rear wheels. im gunna try to make a video of the noise and what/when it does it

Grizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond reputeGrizzrider08 has a reputation beyond repute

07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwit View Post
is there a way to fix that? it also does this while rideing nad hittig small bumps with out the brakes applied and without locking up the rear wheels. im gunna try to make a video of the noise and what/when it does it
Highly doubt you can get rid of it, its just one of the many noises the grizz makes, lol.
08' Grizzly 700 EPS: US Yamaha front brushguard, Full ricochet skids, 3.5" Rox risers, solex bars, odi grips, rox handguards, 27" Maxxis zillas, Tamarack Classic box, Viper 3k winch, 2r tip, 2r foot pegs and traction rails, 2r front receiver, uni filter, pod mod, hanger mod, greasless, Rigid D2s, Rigid 10" SR

Lots o' mods

07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
I believe i found the sound your talking about in one of my vids, in this one at around 1:34-1:36, i was going over some rocks down hill and using the brakes.

Lots o' mods
The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzrider08 For This Useful Post:
kwit (07-29-2009)

07-29-2009, 04:07 PM
yea man thats it mines alittle louder then that tho but maybe its b/c im usually goin faster the that? i think i hear it at 2;58 2;42 2;54 and 3;58 does it happen even when ur just riding downt the trails and not touching the brakes and u hit a small rock patch or bump? what cuases this? its so anoying to me. mine is worse then yours tho. im having a hard time beliving that this is normal. urs might be but mine is louder... might just be the camera tho? lmk bro thanks for the video

07-29-2009, 04:25 PM
ok i got a video of it. Im jamming on the brakes everythime i come to a stop it doesnt clunky like tha the whole time im breaking unless the wheels are locking up. but most of the time its just one clunk. and i hear this same noise when i go over rocks and rattle the beast around

Last edited by kwit; 07-29-2009 at 04:45 PM..

Hillbilly Deluxe is on a distinguished road

07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
I have the same noise when applying the brakes and rough terrain and I was told that it is just play in the motor, not exactly know where. Hope this helps.
Hillbilly Deluxe is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
03 grizzly 660 loud clunk in back of atv

05 grizzly 660 rattling in front when i go over bumps

2002 yamaha grizzly 660 clunking when hitting bumps

2004 yamaha grizzly 660 clunking noise when going over bumps

2004 yamaha grizzly 660 rear brake noise

2006 yamaha 600 grizzly noise over bumps

clanking noise when going over bumps grizzly 660
clunk noise when going over bumps atv

grizzly 400 clunking noise in high range

grizzly 660 clunking when going over bumps

grizzly noise

my 07 grizzley makes a clucking noise
need help with noisy front end on atv after going over bumps

yamaha grizzly clunk over bump

yamaha grizzly clunks goin over bumps
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.