Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Cleaning the radiator

This is a discussion on Cleaning the radiator within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I noticed last night that my radiator had dirt caked on it. So I sprayed it as best i could from the hose and it ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

TX TRU STUD will become famous soon enough

08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Cleaning the radiator

I noticed last night that my radiator had dirt caked on it. So I sprayed it as best i could from the hose and it cleaned it off fairly well. It looked to be so bad that it was almost a mud wall and I'm sure it was making the engine run hotter.

I wish it had a temp gauge.

I was trying to figure out how to remove the front so I could get at the radiator but the two bolts on the bottom and the two top plastic pins were removed and it wouldn't come out. I think the fenders were holding it on.

I know you can remove the front guards but that doesn't really help. I need to get at the BACK.

Any ideas, cleaners, etc?
TX TRU STUD is offlineReport Post

colbygil will become famous soon enoughcolbygil will become famous soon enough

08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I spray mine with some degreaser every now and then and it shines like new. But I also wash it down after every ride so that makes cleaning easier. The caked mud will lead to overheating and I'm suprised it hasn't yet! The best thing to do is blast it from the back forward. This is the way the mud came in and thats how it has to go out.
Off-road lights
colbygil is offlineReport Post
Banned

jteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these parts
08-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Pressure washer works much better than a garden hose (more pressure).
Hot water works much better than cold.

if you have a pressure washer, or can borrow one - hook the supply hose to the drain on your hot water tank in your house. Then use the hot water to steam clean the radiator - you'll be amazed at the difference.

Good Luck!
jteahan3165 is offlineReport Post

rob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant future

08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
As a mudder, i always clean my rad before and after a trip. Mine is usually packed solid, but because i do not let it sit and harden it usually comes out pretty easy with just a hose.
HL Temp Gauge - Hand/Thumb Warmers
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
rob350 is offlineReport Post

GRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant future

08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
I used pressure air with blow tip like for engines where wand is like 12" and the tip at +/- 45*, set up pressure for 40 Psi and blow it from the back.
GRIZZLY77 is offlineReport Post

DizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant futureDizGrizz has a brilliant future

08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
If you use anything with any real pressure (like a pressure washer), don't get too close while blasting. The fins on the rad are super-thin and you can bend em flat with no problem.
You might want to give it a good soaking and let it sit...then repeat. Might take a while to soften up a thick pack of dried-on muck.
Once you get er clean, rob350 has the plan, rinse it out after every ride...it's that "once of prevention" thang. Colbygil also nailed it with hitting it from the back but that's a heck of a lot easier with the plastic off.

Last edited by DizGrizz; 08-17-2009 at 11:47 PM..
DizGrizz is offlineReport Post

grizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the rough

08-18-2009, 11:54 AM
do not do this. unless a pressure washer is made for hot water

the cold water is used to cool the pump as it heats up from compressing the water.

if you run hot water, you may damage your pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by jteahan3165 View Post
if you have a pressure washer, or can borrow one - hook the supply hose to the drain on your hot water tank in your house. Then use the hot water to steam clean the radiator - you'll be amazed at the difference.

Good Luck!
grizzlymark is offlineReport Post

GRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant futureGRIZZLY77 has a brilliant future

08-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Neeh, time to time not constant will be fine,
best way to do with warm 50/50.
GRIZZLY77 is offlineReport Post

mudrunner is on a distinguished road

08-26-2009, 10:39 AM
check out what i posted under the teck tread hope it helps
mudrunner is offlineReport Post

TX TRU STUD will become famous soon enough

08-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I dont follow... you have a link?
TX TRU STUD is offlineReport Post

grizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the rough

08-26-2009, 11:44 AM
this is what he was talking about:

Ha eazy radiator cleaning.!!!
grizzlymark is offlineReport Post

GREASY is on a distinguished road
09-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX TRU STUD View Post
I noticed last night that my radiator had dirt caked on it. So I sprayed it as best i could from the hose and it cleaned it off fairly well. It looked to be so bad that it was almost a mud wall and I'm sure it was making the engine run hotter.

I wish it had a temp gauge.

I was trying to figure out how to remove the front so I could get at the radiator but the two bolts on the bottom and the two top plastic pins were removed and it wouldn't come out. I think the fenders were holding it on.

I know you can remove the front guards but that doesn't really help. I need to get at the BACK.

Any ideas, cleaners, etc?
Hi; Iv'e got a 600 so I have a oil cooler to deal with the same princeable, I ride in the mud 90% of the time with our club and on serveral poker runs each year and I came along a neat trick. Clean your radiator and or oil cooler then before you ride in the mud spray it down front to back with, ( WAIT FOR IT.... PAM,) yes pam it covers the metal with a light film and won't burn off fast. This sounds crazy but it works for me rideing here in the N.W. WA. GOOD LUCK, GREASY.
GREASY is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page

atv radiator cleaner

atv radiator power washer

cleaning atv radiator

cleaning atv radiators
cleaning mud from atv radiator
degreasing yamaha rhino radiator
grizzly centarl cleaning radiator
how to clean an atv radiator

how to clean atv radiator

how to clean radiator on atv
how to clean the raideator on 01 grizzly 660
how to flusha 2008 grizzly 660 raiator
is b51 gegreaser good for cleaning a atv rad
to steam clean a radiator
what good to use to get mud out of atv radiators
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.