Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Serial location

This is a discussion on Serial location within the Grizzly Talk forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Hello everyone I am new to the site. I bought a 600 grizzly from my daughter and she has lost the papers on it. I ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

gitrdone is on a distinguished road

08-26-2009, 08:22 PM
Serial location

Hello everyone I am new to the site. I bought a 600 grizzly from my daughter and she has lost the papers on it. I am trying to identify the year of it. Were is the serial number located?

Thanks
gitrdone is offlineReport Post

CharlieHo is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieHo is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieHo is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieHo is a glorious beacon of lightCharlieHo is a glorious beacon of light

08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
One place is on the front left bottom of the frame, about where your inner fender meets the bottom frame rail. I think there may be one under the seat.

There is also one on the motor, but I doubt it'd be easy to see.

Beyond that, posts pics. There are subtle differences between each model, some eagle eyes on here might be able to tell you at a glance...

Si vis pacem, para bellum.
CharlieHo is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,217 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2009, 09:05 PM
VIN should be found on the frame in the left front wheel well area. On the 700's it's kinda hidden by plastics.
AZ08Grizz is online nowReport Post

08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks, I looked on that side of the frame didn't see it, but I'll look again. If I can't find it I'll post some pic's thanks.
yamacliner rider

scooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond reputescooter has a reputation beyond repute

08-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Check your frame for an aluminum tag. The older yammi's have the vins on tags.

08-26-2009, 10:00 PM
Wire wheel on a drill works great!
The serial #JY4AJ02W7YA036355.
Does anybody know how to sipher this out to the year model?

Thanks

RynoBrown is just really niceRynoBrown is just really niceRynoBrown is just really niceRynoBrown is just really nice

08-26-2009, 10:02 PM
I bought an 09 700 and it wasn't on a tag at all. It almost looked like it is etched on the frame and then painted. i.e. - it is VERY difficult to see unless you know what you are looking for. If I had to find it again, I would take a rag and wipe the lower frame inside of the left/front wheel well. On mine, it was almost far enough back you couldn't see it. I had to look very closely 3 times before I saw it. You might be able to feel for it first and then look.

Don't know where it's it at on prior versions. I've also heard it is on the motor somewhere, but I have never looked for it. I don't know why they couldn't stamp the frame under the seat where a non-gymnast could see it.
RynoBrown is offlineReport Post

08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Found this website for VIN look-up.
ATV VIN decoder - Check your ATV to see what it is, if it is stolen, or salvaged

They say it's a 2000 model.

smoke1 is on a distinguished road
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ08Grizz View Post
VIN should be found on the frame in the left front wheel well area. On the 700's it's kinda hidden by plastics.
smoke1 is offlineReport Post
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

Thanked 1,671 Times in 1,165 Posts
desertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond reputedesertdweller has a reputation beyond repute

08-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdone View Post
Wire wheel on a drill works great!
The serial #JY4AJ02W7YA036355.
Does anybody know how to sipher this out to the year model?

Thanks
'02?
OG/GROC Member #1
Thought of joining the Original Grizzly Roll Over Club? (OG/ GROC)
PM me and I'll tell you whats required to join.
All Grizzly's welcome!
desertdweller is offlineReport Post

peter nap is on a distinguished road
09-02-2009, 04:36 PM
The tenth digit in the VIN tells you the year
Auto VIN Decoder - What Do Those Letters & Numbers Mean?

Yours is a 2000
peter nap is offlineReport Post

hiljak will become famous soon enoughhiljak will become famous soon enough
12-03-2010, 12:25 PM
old thread but I landed here on a goolge search and wanted to share my experience with anyone else that's still looking for an answer to this.

*This is for a Grizzly 600 4x4 (this one is a 2001 but this should work for 1998 to 2001).

For whatever reason, I could NOT find the VIN on my frame. There is also a VIN on the engine. I didn't notice it until I had the back propped straight up on it's rear grab bar. The VIN is on the right-hand side of the engine (if you were sitting on the bike, it's on your right side). It's on the side of the bottom part of the block in a portruding rectangle piece that is part of the actual casting of the block. If you look at the engine from the side (right near where the front foot peg mounts to the frame), you'll see it. It's just under the round part of the clutch cover. Mine looked like it was blank but I hit it with a wire brush and could easily make out the numbers.
hiljak is offlineReport Post

UpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond reputeUpstateNYGrizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljak View Post
old thread but I landed here on a goolge search and wanted to share my experience with anyone else that's still looking for an answer to this.

*This is for a Grizzly 600 4x4 (this one is a 2001 but this should work for 1998 to 2001).

For whatever reason, I could NOT find the VIN on my frame. There is also a VIN on the engine. I didn't notice it until I had the back propped straight up on it's rear grab bar. The VIN is on the right-hand side of the engine (if you were sitting on the bike, it's on your right side). It's on the side of the bottom part of the block in a portruding rectangle piece that is part of the actual casting of the block. If you look at the engine from the side (right near where the front foot peg mounts to the frame), you'll see it. It's just under the round part of the clutch cover. Mine looked like it was blank but I hit it with a wire brush and could easily make out the numbers.
Hiljak,

Actually this one is a 2000. Peter had it correct. The tenth digit in the VIN reflects the year of the machine.

1971 through 1979 is reflected as 1 through 9
1980 through 2000 is reflected as A through Y
2001 through 2009 is reflected as 1 through 9, and
2010 restarted as A, so 2011 should be B
Ricochet Skid Plates & Rock Sliders
Superwinch ATV2300 w/Amsteel Blue
Mad Mike Clutch Mods 2 & 3 w/orange 2ndary spring
Plano Rear Box
Rotopax Fuel Pack
Tomahawk Front Bumber w/Rigid D2's

2009 Rhino 700 Black Special Edition
26in ITP Terracross on ITP Black SS108 Wheels
Viper Max 4000 w/Amsteel Blue
Yoshimura RS-8 Muffler, K&N Filter, FI2000 Fuel Management System
J Strong Roof w/lights & stereo
J Strong Full Windshield
J Strong Front & Rear Bumpers
J Strong Dual Battery Isolator

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
UpstateNYGrizz is offlineReport Post

Helmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant futureHelmut has a brilliant future
12-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiljak View Post

I agree with UpstateNYGrizz, the 10th digit of the VIN is the code for the model year. Also, the number on the engine isn't the VIN number, it's the engine number. The engine number is shorter (12 digits, I think) and contains the engine code and the engine production number. The VIN is located on the left side, bottom frame rail, between the engine and the a-arm and contains 17 digits and is stamped directly into the frame rail.

Last edited by Helmut; 12-03-2010 at 01:51 PM..
Helmut is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Search tags for this page
2002 yamaha grizzly 660 vin location
2006 yamaha grizzly 660 egine serial number location
2007 yamaha grizzley 400 vin location#gsc.tab

2007 yamaha grizzly 350 vin number sample

2010 yamaha grizzly 700 vin location

engine number location yamaha grizzly

grizzly 600 vin location

serial del motor de yamaha grizzly 2010
serial number location 07 yamaha grizzly
vin on grizzly 600 4wheeler

where is the serial number on a yamaha grizzly 700

where to find a serial number on a yamaha grizzly 125

yamaha engine serial number decoder

yamaha grizzly engine number location

yamaha grizzly vin decoder

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.