Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Adjusting Rear Shocks Because Of My Weight

This is a discussion on Adjusting Rear Shocks Because Of My Weight within the Grizzly Tech Tips forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; So I went riding the other weekend and my cousin suggested I adjust the rear shocks because he thinks the ass end goes down too ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Grizzly Tech Tips Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts and your fellow Grizzly owners.

yobizan is on a distinguished road

05-18-2010, 01:45 PM
Adjusting Rear Shocks Because Of My Weight

So I went riding the other weekend and my cousin suggested I adjust the rear shocks because he thinks the ass end goes down too much because of my weight. I weigh 270lbs and sit back on the seat more than most since I'm also 6'10". There's definitely a noticeable difference between how far the ass end goes down when I'm on it compared to when he sat on it.

My question is, should I adjust the rear shocks either to reduce wear/tear on the quad cause of my weight and/or for safety issues. Personally, I don't notice any problems with how it ride, but wouldn't have any issues making adjustments if it's recommended.

Let me know what you guys think!

2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700

25.5 Pitbull Rockers, 2R Racing Tip, K&N Air Filter, Warn RT30 Winch, Ricochet Skid Plates, Moose Front/Rear Bumpers, 1" xxbilletxx Wheel Spacers, Kolpin Fender Extenders, Tamarack Classic Regular Front Box, Plano Rear Mount Box, Extended Height Foot Pegs, Floorboard Traction Rails
yobizan is offlineReport Post

jake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond reputejake72 has a reputation beyond repute
05-18-2010, 03:07 PM
if it handles fine rides good doesnt bottom out your fine
jake72 is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,118 Posts
wayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond reputewayupnorth has a reputation beyond repute

05-18-2010, 03:17 PM
The only thing safety wise I can think of is the frontend might want to come back on ya easier. Myself I would move the adjuster up 2 notches in the rear. Spray the adjusters with wd40, jack up the rear wheels off the ground and use some big channel locks, put a rag in between the teeth of the channel locks so yo don't scratch the adjusters

Defender of the Yamaha Grizzly
wayupnorth is offlineReport Post

05-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll probably try adjusting the rear up a couple notches. Guess we'll see how it handles afterward.

2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700

25.5 Pitbull Rockers, 2R Racing Tip, K&N Air Filter, Warn RT30 Winch, Ricochet Skid Plates, Moose Front/Rear Bumpers, 1" xxbilletxx Wheel Spacers, Kolpin Fender Extenders, Tamarack Classic Regular Front Box, Plano Rear Mount Box, Extended Height Foot Pegs, Floorboard Traction Rails

KYGrizzly is on a distinguished road

05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah if you weigh that much and set that far back I would adjust the pre-load up to the max on the rear, and prolly go up a notch or so on the front.
KYGrizzly is offlineReport Post

griz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud ofgriz450rocket has much to be proud of

05-21-2010, 05:07 PM
I only weigh 180 and have my fronts turned up all the way to help with cornering and side-hilling. For your weight I'd recommend turning up the back at least one notch and probably two. It won't hurt anything, might make it ride a little rough but it will help with ground clearance.
09 Griz 700(814cc) - Black, 25in Buzzsaws/30in Zillas, Uni filter, 47mm bored throttle body, custom machined primary, 1.5mm shim, 18g greaseless overdrive weights, Fox Podium Shocks, Modified RDC 2in lift, Warn RT25, 2in snorkels

06 Kodiak 450 - Green, stock rhino tires, uni, modded stock exhaust, machined clutch, 1mm shim, 500rpm wet springs and 4-660 weights

06 YFZ 450 - White, Uni, pro flo intake, hmf pipe, ITP holeshots, 36 tooth rear sprocket
griz450rocket is offlineReport Post

bcox is on a distinguished road

05-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I agree turn the back up but it will make it a little stiffer of a ride. I ride a girl on the back pretty much all the time and i'm 201 and she is about 100 and does good...I turned mine up just for that reason but i also have a Gorilla stage 1 lift so mine was a bit stiffer already.
bcox is offlineReport Post

05-27-2010, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll definitely stiffen it up a notch or two and see how it rides after that.

If I was planning on losing weight, I'd leave it alone. As it is, I'm working on getting back up to 300lbs over the summer! lol

2008 Yamaha Grizzly 700

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Search tags for this page
2000 kodiak 400 how to adjust shocks

adjusting rear suspension atv

adjusting the shocks on my grizzly 700
anyone adjust rear shocks on a 2004 grizzly
can you adjust the rear shock on a yamaha big bear atv

grizzly 660 shock adjustment

grizzly 700 shock adjustment

how to adjust atv shocks

how to adjust shocks on a 02 big bear

how to adjust shocks on a 2014 yamaha grizzly 450 4wd
how to adjust shocks on atv
how to adjust suspension atv
how to adjust suspension on yamaha big bear
what notch do you grizzly 660 guys have your front shocks adjusted at
why to adjust shocks atv
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.