Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Fuel line on 660?

This is a discussion on Fuel line on 660? within the Grizzly Tech Tips forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Hey guys, I'm new here, but I figured this was the right place to ask a question that I have. This morning I noticed a ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Grizzly Tech Tips Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts and your fellow Grizzly owners.

The_Jerbel is on a distinguished road
12-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Fuel line on 660?

Hey guys,

I'm new here, but I figured this was the right place to ask a question that I have.

This morning I noticed a pool of gas under the atv, so I found the source of the fuel leak. It is coming out of the line coming off of the bottom of the carb, and ends in a yellowish transparent hose. That hose was hanging down near the bottom of the engine this morning, and I'm not seeing any obvious place where the end of the line is supposed to connect to. Where does the free end of this hose go, or is it supposed to hang free? If it's suppose to hang free, why is fuel leaking out of it? I'd post a picture, but apparently I can't yet.

Thanks
Jordan
The_Jerbel is offlineReport Post

MadMike is a glorious beacon of lightMadMike is a glorious beacon of lightMadMike is a glorious beacon of lightMadMike is a glorious beacon of lightMadMike is a glorious beacon of lightMadMike is a glorious beacon of light
12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
That hose hangs down thats to get the water out of your carb after u drownd it. Theres a little screw on the bottom of the carb right were that hose goes in make sure its tight if its open gas will flow out
Hmf Slip on Exhaust
K&N Filter
1.5mm Shim Mod
Override Mod
Shift Lockout Mod
1 High Strength Rear axle
MadMike is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,069 Posts
Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 04:54 PM
its the overflow for the carb its supposed to hang freely.
if its leaking when the bike is just parked then you need a new needle and seat.
make sure to turn the gas off at your tank when you aren't riding it you will lose the whole tank if your needle and seat are bad.

edit... yes that hose is also to drain the float bowl with the above mentioned screw
28" ML's

Last edited by Civicgsr; 12-21-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Civicgsr is offlineReport Post

CajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
I just changed my needle and seat with brand new parts and I've still got the same leak! Made me mad so I left it alone and haven't gone back to check whether float tab is set right or not. And I know the float is good. Just be aware that changing the needle and seat will fix it most of the time but not all the time
YACC member #2
SGCR #3
'07 Grizzly 700 Ducks Unlimited w/eps
30x10x14 Silverback X-lites
14x7 Machined STI HD3s
2" Snorkels
Custom Rad Relo
Custom Split Speakers
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm shim
Gold Secondary
4 14 gram roller weights
4 stock weights

GONE
'03 Grizzly 660 Special Edition
-gone but not forgotten
CajunGrizzJr is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,069 Posts
Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 05:41 PM
cajun..... are you going to buy a golf cart too? lol
28" ML's
Civicgsr is offlineReport Post

CajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 05:43 PM
Or tires for my damn truck! If it ain't one thing it's another man
YACC member #2
SGCR #3
'07 Grizzly 700 Ducks Unlimited w/eps
30x10x14 Silverback X-lites
14x7 Machined STI HD3s
2" Snorkels
Custom Rad Relo
Custom Split Speakers
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm shim
Gold Secondary
4 14 gram roller weights
4 stock weights

GONE
'03 Grizzly 660 Special Edition
-gone but not forgotten
CajunGrizzJr is offlineReport Post

12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks, guys. The screw was seated tightly, so I don't think it's that. How involved is it to replace the needle and seat? Would that cause the carb to start leaking a lot of gas, all of a sudden? Are there any other possible causes?

Last edited by The_Jerbel; 12-21-2011 at 05:45 PM..

12-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Is this the part you're talking about?

#19 on the diagram...

12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
OEM Parts Yamaha GRIZZLY 660 (YFM660FR) 2003 CARBURETOR - Cheap Cycle Parts
DJ

Thanked 1,857 Times in 1,468 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2011, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Jerbel View Post
Thanks, guys. The screw was seated tightly, so I don't think it's that. How involved is it to replace the needle and seat? Would that cause the carb to start leaking a lot of gas, all of a sudden? Are there any other possible causes?
Could be a worn needle and seat. Easy to change out. Could also be just trash stuck in the needle and seat. Both will cause the carb to overflow and gas could also run into the cylinder and fill the crankcase with gas. Check your oil for the smell of gas! Change oil and filter if needed. Always turn off the main fuel petcock to the carb when not riding or when transporting/trailering to prevent fuel from overflowing into the cylinder and flooding the engine.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

12-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Okay, so would you guys say that the needle and seat are the first things I should replace, or is there something else that is equally likely to cause this problem? If I should start with the needle/seat, is that #19 in the diagram I linked to above?

Thanks
Jordan

kplu191 has a spectacular aura aboutkplu191 has a spectacular aura about
12-21-2011, 08:52 PM
I had the same prob a month ago. These guys are awesome! I was told to tap the bowl.with something like a butt of a screwdriver. If it was the float sticking , that may help. It did! I had the tank off a couple days before, and may have stirred up some crap.
So its been fine since I did that, although I do shut the petcock off now when I park it, always!. I also have been adding seafoam to my gas regularly. That is good stuff! Bought a needle n seat just in case, but don't need to mess w it now!

Sent from a natsosmahtfone
kplu191 is offlineReport Post

12-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Thank you, sir. And where is the bowl located?

Here's a pic, if it helps:

kplu191 has a spectacular aura aboutkplu191 has a spectacular aura about
12-22-2011, 08:27 AM
Top right side of pic. The hose that goes to the right attaches to it. Give that a few taps. See if it helps you. It did me. Of course, if I'm steering u wrong, I hope someone corrects me!:p:thumbup:

Sent from a natsosmahtfone
kplu191 is offlineReport Post

12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
okay thanks for your help. So it's this guy?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Search tags for this page

2002 grizzly carburetor vent tube

2002 yamaha660 grizzly hose routing

2005 yamaha grizzly 660 fuel supply to carburetor

fuel line diagram for 2005 yamaha grizzly 660

fuel line diagram for yamaha 4 wheeler

fuel line hookup from gas tank on a grizzly 660 05
gas line schematic for a 2008 yamaha grizzly
how to connect fuel line 2002 grizzly 660

how to drain gas from grizzly 660

how to drain the gas tank on 03 grizzly

m.youtube.com grizzly 660 2005 replace rubber on exhaust

rhino 660 fuel line size

rhino fuel line size

yahama grizzy fuel lines
yamaha 660 grizzly wheeler gas over flow diagram
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.