Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Grizzly rev limiting

This is a discussion on Grizzly rev limiting within the Grizzly Tech Tips forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Have a salvaged Grizzly 660 that I just got running. Starts and runs great but won't go over about 20 mph. Seems like a rev ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Grizzly Tech Tips Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts and your fellow Grizzly owners.

califbust is on a distinguished road
04-07-2012, 05:36 PM
Grizzly rev limiting

Have a salvaged Grizzly 660 that I just got running. Starts and runs great but won't go over about 20 mph. Seems like a rev limiter is preventing it from going faster. Any help would be appreciated.
califbust is offlineReport Post

ONTHEPIPE is a glorious beacon of lightONTHEPIPE is a glorious beacon of lightONTHEPIPE is a glorious beacon of lightONTHEPIPE is a glorious beacon of lightONTHEPIPE is a glorious beacon of light
04-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Clean up the cdi plug. Could have mud/water in it. I had same prob with son's bike
ONTHEPIPE is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to ONTHEPIPE For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-09-2012)

07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute

04-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Check and clean clutches.
07grizzlymud is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to 07grizzlymud For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-09-2012)

Cleftwynd is just really niceCleftwynd is just really niceCleftwynd is just really niceCleftwynd is just really niceCleftwynd is just really nice

04-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Is the diff lock engaged? It won't allow over 22 mph unless you hold the override button. It could even be a bad gear position switch.
GGOC Agent #4

Way too many mods and repairs, accessories to list...
Cleftwynd is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleftwynd For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-12-2012)

04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
I suspect you are right. Now I just have to figure out how to get it out of lock. Since this was a salvage, it has no front wheel drive and the 4wd/diff lock switch isn't connected to anything. Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanked 1,423 Times in 1,069 Posts
Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

04-08-2012, 03:39 PM
Does the override button work?
Are you going to leave the bike as a 2wd?
If so just permanently wire the override button so it's always on and call it day.
28" ML's
Civicgsr is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Civicgsr For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-12-2012)

04-09-2012, 08:26 PM
It will stay 2WD. I think the diff lock is the problem because the diff lock light is on. I've looked the system over but can't find an override button. Couldn't find a reference to the override in the operating manual either. So it's missing or I'm just overlooking it! Jumped the L/G, L/B and Br wires at the "on command" control without success. Any more suggestions on how to override the Dif lock would help.

Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

04-09-2012, 09:51 PM
What year is this bike?
28" ML's

04-10-2012, 10:54 AM

04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by califbust View Post

Ok cool same as mine.
There is no override button and there is no diff lock limiter.
Under the left side motor cover there is a group of wires. Find the green with white tracer. It has a bullet connector on it. You need to connect a wire to that and ground it out.
I cut the bullet out of mine soldiered the two greens plus my extra wire. Then ran that wire down to the ground bolt behind the shifter arm, where the battery gets grounded.
That will eliminate the reverse rev limiter.

I have my front diff out right now so when I go back to the garage I will tell you what wires to connect together at your front diff plugs to get the diff lock light off.

Just to double check, is your 4wd light on or flashing too?
28" ML's

Last edited by Civicgsr; 04-11-2012 at 01:13 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Civicgsr For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-12-2012), grizzlysituation (04-12-2012)

04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
In addition to the diff lock light (red) the four wheel "picture" on the meter is showing with "lock" showing within it. I assume you mean the green wire from the ignition control module. If the diff lock on this bike doesn't have the rev limiter, any idea why the reverse rev limiter is working in both low and high?

04-10-2012, 11:27 PM
Ok so here is how to finish your 2wd conversion.

On the 5 pin diff plug there is a black ground wire (in the middle) then beside that black with red tracer then beside that white with black tracer..... Connect all three together. I turned the bike on with no diff in it and both the 4wd and diff lock lights were on.

Put some cotter pin jumpers in and no more lights.

Connect the three wires together good and tight then seal up the rest of the plugs. (don't use cotter pins haha)

Now if you still have a rev limiter problem you need to replace or clean your reverse switch on the transmission or permanently disable the reverse rev limiter by grounding out that green with white tracer wire on the left side of the bike.
28" ML's
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Civicgsr For This Useful Post:
califbust (04-12-2012), grizzlysituation (04-12-2012)

04-12-2012, 01:14 AM
Thanks so much. That advice solved the problem! I think you went above and beyond with your help.

04-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Ahh no worries buddy I had the diff out anyways to fix the drain plug and a wiring diagram in front of me.

I look forward to hearing more about your 2wd build. One day if my front diff ever blows up I'll be converting it to a 2wd too.

Keep us posted.
28" ML's

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Search tags for this page

02 yamaha raptor 660 hits rev limiter

03 660 grizzly want run over 22 mph
08 grizzly rev limiter disable

2006 yamaha grizzly 660 diff lock replacement plug

2012 honda foreman seems like rev limiter is on
2012 yamaha grizzly rev limiter switch
660 grizzly wont hit rev limiter

grizzley 660 wont go but so fast forward

grizzly 660 plug wire replacement

grizzly 660 rev limiter

grizzly wont go over 20mph

honda cdi rev limiter diagram

how to disconnect yamaha 660 front diff lock
i have a yamaha 660 grizzly wont go faster than 20 mph in 4 wheel is it stuck in low
revese rev limiter engages going foward 03 grizzly 660
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.