Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

CV Boot replacement - How To?

This is a discussion on CV Boot replacement - How To? within the Grizzly Tech Tips forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Is there a step by step on how to replace CV boots on a grizzly 700? Much appriciate any links and such......

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Grizzly Tech Tips Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts and your fellow Grizzly owners.

grizzlycaper is on a distinguished road

04-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Is there a step by step on how to replace CV boots on a grizzly 700? Much appriciate any links and such...
grizzlycaper is offlineReport Post

04-23-2008, 07:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grizzlycaper @ April 18, 2008, 6:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Is there a step by step on how to replace CV boots on a grizzly 700? Much appriciate any links and such...[/b]

no?

Backon4 is on a distinguished road
04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Just did one myself on my 660. Not fun. Prepare to get greasy....
Backon4 is offlineReport Post

brave1 will become famous soon enough
04-24-2008, 06:31 AM
which boot is needing to be relaced ? inner(upper) or the outer (lower) front or back??. changing the boot is the easy part its flushing out the lower joint of all the contaminated grease (if any) thats the real pain in the arse.
i dont know of any step by step diagram instructions but its not that hard just messy , key to the whole operation is to have a CLEAN area and CLEAN work bench or floor spaces to work on. have lots of shop cloths on hand.

tell me which one your doing and i think i can talk you thru it ive done all four a few times in the past on my kodiak and my grizz
brave1 is offlineReport Post

04-24-2008, 08:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (brave1 @ April 24, 2008, 6:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
which boot is needing to be relaced ? inner(upper) or the outer (lower) front or back??. changing the boot is the easy part its flushing out the lower joint of all the contaminated grease (if any) thats the real pain in the arse.
i dont know of any step by step diagram instructions but its not that hard just messy , key to the whole operation is to have a CLEAN area and CLEAN work bench or floor spaces to work on. have lots of shop cloths on hand.

tell me which one your doing and i think i can talk you thru it ive done all four a few times in the past on my kodiak and my grizz[/b]
hi.. thanks... it is the rear left side outer. my biggest concern is getting the joint off the axle in order to get the boot on. do you just give it a wack? i know it is a c clip that holds it in place....

brave1 will become famous soon enough
04-25-2008, 08:04 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (grizzlycaper @ April 24, 2008, 9:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
hi.. thanks... it is the rear left side outer. my biggest concern is getting the joint off the axle in order to get the boot on. do you just give it a wack? i know it is a c clip that holds it in place....[/b]

ok the rear axels on the new grizz are the easiest to get off, :
-take off the wheel, then the brake calipers , and the bearing essembly ( two bolts ,1 upper arm ,1 lower a arm) .

- grab the axel and firmly tug outward it should pop out of the diff. there is a compression clip on the end of the axel to help keep it in the diff so it maybe a lil snug or tuff to first pop out. if you need to GENTLY pry outward behind the inner cv joint with a screw driver while pulling axel out ward. ok that was easy !

- on a clean work surface , undo the inner boot clamps ( if they are the originals or were new ones and were the fold over an clamp kind ) and your carefull you may be able to reuse the clamps .
-slid boot back down the shaft .on the inside of the cv joint along the inn lip there is a nother compression ring dig that out with a small awl i find that going under the ring in one of the bearing grooves is easiest. pop it out an put some where safe. the joint will now slide apart.
- on the end of the shaft w/the bearing cage is the lil e clip you were talking about , BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT OFF ,TAKE NOTE HOW IT FITS ON THE SHAFT . the deep end of the bearing cage faces out w/ the e clip on the end, the flush side goes in!! ( it only fits on one way but if you take apart the bearing cage itself to clean you can make sure it all goes back the same way it came off) i leaned the hard way lol
- after removing that and the boot you can remove the inner boot clamps and boot.

- if your grease hasnt been contaminated w/ grit and grime re enstall new boot and the rest of it.

- if your inner joint has been contaminated , you need to flush out all that grit and grime. they say this unit is a one peice unit and doesnt come apart??? i dont want to tell you to hammer it apart and wreck your joint. i got a broken axel apart once long ago an for get what the trick was???
- since then ,ive always soaked the entire joint in a bucket of solvent and flushed it out several times deisel fuel works good. and having an air line is a plus . repeat the soaking and flushing til you get all the grit out , let dry then re pack with clean grease and work it in thourghly before buting new boot on .
- i put a dab of grease in the boot before sliding it all the way on an sealing it up , you may have to slide a small screw driver under the small end of the boot to release the vacuum pressure fron grease and trapped air.

- re essemble the inner joint with all new grease (after cleaning out the old stuff)
- pop the axel back in the diff making sure its seated all the way in.
-when re enstalling the bearing hub essembly this would be the best and easiest time to grease those pesky grease nipples (zerts)

i think that covers the whole procedure. maybe some one else can shed some light on taking apart the outer joint but i dont believe it can be done with out damaging something but i could be wrong ? if ive missed something please jump in and correct me.

good luck
alex
aka brave1
brave1 is offlineReport Post

Niskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the roughNiskibum is a jewel in the rough
04-25-2008, 08:31 AM
A friend of mine that is a proffesional mechanic tells me that pulling on the inside joint is bad for it. You should pry it out from behind, not pull on it with the axle. With the right tool, they pop right out with a little pressure from behind.

I haven't done a rear one on the Grizz, but I have done the front. The outside joint is held on by a c-clip. I just wrapped the axle in a rag and put it in a vice, then used a brass punch to pop the outside joint off. It takes a few good hits, but it's much less work if you only take one joint off.

Make sure to remove all the old grease before putting the new grease in, since different greases don't like each other and you could end up with mush.
Niskibum is offlineReport Post

StupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to beholdStupidNewbie is a splendid one to behold

04-25-2008, 03:41 PM
When i do my first boot. Which I know wont be long with the skeg i ride in. Ill post a guide with pics.
07 Red 700 Grizzly. EPI Clutch Kit, Powermad Hand Guards, Heated Grips and Thumb, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, One Off, Dual 2" Intake Snorkels, 2" CVT snorkels, 27" 589s (to be changed). Monkey Axkes Up Front, VDI sitting and waiting. 11:1 on its way, maybe cam
StupidNewbie is offlineReport Post

brharrison will become famous soon enoughbrharrison will become famous soon enough
04-26-2008, 09:06 PM
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forums/index...?showtopic=5200
brharrison is offlineReport Post

05-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Search tags for this page
03 yamaha kodiak 400 front cv shaft boot replacement

change boot on 2002 yamaha grizzily

changing cv joint on 700 yamaha
grizzly 350 cv boot repair
how to change a axle boot on a yamaha 660 grizzley

how to fix the rear axle boots on a yamaha 450 grizzly

how to put boots on a 2006 kodiak 450

how to remove cv boot grizzly 550

how to repair right rear boot on 2007 yamaha grizzly atv

how to replace a cv booth left side on a kodiak
how to replace boot on grizzly
how to take off rear boot on 2012 grizzly
replace 4 wheeler front axle boot

replacing rear inner cv boot 2003 grizzly 660

yamaha grizzly cv boot replacement

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.