Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Carb leaking gas

This is a discussion on Carb leaking gas within the Grizzly Tech Tips forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; Can anyone tell me what causes the carbs to leak gas from that tube on the bottom. We have a kodiak 400 and it keeps ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Grizzly Tech Tips Technical articles, tips, tricks and advice from the experts and your fellow Grizzly owners.

Firefighter05 will become famous soon enough
02-14-2009, 11:17 PM
Can anyone tell me what causes the carbs to leak gas from that tube on the bottom. We have a kodiak 400 and it keeps leaking after rides.
Firefighter05 is offlineReport Post

rob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant futurerob350 has a brilliant future

02-14-2009, 11:19 PM
There should be a small screw at the bottom of the carb looking towards you, make sure it is seated, and not loose. It may also have (or may be missing) a O-ring on it, check its condition.
HL Temp Gauge - Hand/Thumb Warmers
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
rob350 is offlineReport Post

herm is on a distinguished road

02-15-2009, 12:20 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firefighter05 @ February 15, 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what causes the carbs to leak gas from that tube on the bottom. We have a kodiak 400 and it keeps leaking after rides.[/b]
If it's comming out the tube sounds like the float is stuck or ajusted to hi. Give it a good hit or2 with the plastic handle of a screwdriver. Or try turning off gas & run it until carb goes dry tap it again & turn on gas that might work good luck.If it don;t get back to me if you like .. HERM
herm is offlineReport Post

grizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the roughgrizzlymark is a jewel in the rough

02-15-2009, 07:59 AM
just fixed this problem on a popo scrambler that was leaking gas like this so bad it filled the crank case through the intake sitting overnight..

took the carb apart, and I found that the brass fitting(needle seat) that the float needle goes into is replaceable, and there is an oring around it, it was rotted and even when the float was up, gas was still leaking past the system that was supposed to stop the gas...

replaced the oring and all is good.

also had to chainge the oil a few times too, but the crank case is nice and clean now!
grizzlymark is offlineReport Post

Firefighter05 will become famous soon enough
02-15-2009, 10:55 AM
thanks, thats what is awsome aabout this forum, knowledge from everywhere.
Firefighter05 is offlineReport Post

sigfire is on a distinguished road

03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
this happened to me also on my 04 grizz. yes it was the float in the carb. just a note, if it happens out on the trail, just tap the carb a little with the blunt side of a screwdriver, it managed to get me home.
sigfire is offlineReport Post

Bighorn is on a distinguished road

01-04-2010, 02:53 PM
loading my 04 grizz and heading to the shop cause mines doing the same thing. first time i have ever taken it to the repair shop. :) :(
Bighorn is offlineReport Post

El Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud of

01-04-2010, 04:01 PM
EVEL

And now for the 10,000th time......... the needle valve has failed. Rob there is a small tube running from just above fuel level to the drain screw orfice. It's an overflow should the needle/seat fail or float get stuck. I believe it's a brass on brass seal w/no O-ring not 100% sure.It's gonna be highly unlikely for the float to stick. Tapping on the carb is loosening the trash stuck inside the needle not freeing the float. Most float failure can be traced to a pinhole causing the float to fill w/fuel and sink.I believe Grizz has a plastic float to avoid this problem again not 100% sure...at this point I've seen so much it's all starting to run together. Order yourself a new needle and seat,,better check for fuel in your oil as well. That freakin' overflow tube isn't big enough to let out what the needle lets in. The rest heads for the cylinder/airbox.

blum has a spectacular aura aboutblum has a spectacular aura aboutblum has a spectacular aura about
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
tgriffin09 you are correct when you say it is the neddle seat. We have been putting in the update needle and seat which is made of stainless steel instead of brass. And yes you need to look at the air box and pull the spark plug out to make sure the cyl. is not full of gas.
blum is offlineReport Post

El Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud ofEl Dee has much to be proud of

01-04-2010, 05:53 PM
EVEL 660

Wise beyond my years I guess.....nothing sucks worse than a big puddle of gas under your Grizz an airbox/pipe/cylinder and crankcase full of fuel. This problem seems only to happen when you have just filled up. You are correct about the stainless update, only trouble is it'll fail too eventually. The absolute #1 cause of trouble on a carburated GRIZZ is either trash in the jets/needle/seat or a failed needle/seat........

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tech Tips

Search tags for this page
1997 yamaha timberwolf 4x4 is leaking fuel out the carb?
99 kodiak 400 leaking gas

atv leaking gas from carb

cause of gas leaking from atv carb
gas leaking out of yamaha carb

gas leaks from bottom of carburator 2002 yamaha grizzly 660

grizzly 660 carb drain screw wont seal
leaking carg yamaha kodiak 400
raptor 660 carb leaking gas
timberwolf fuel overflow leaking
what cause gasoline to leak carburetor
why does gas leak out of bottom of carberator on atv

why is my atv carburetor leaking gas

why is yamaha carb leaking gas
would a gas line above the float on an atv cause gas to drip out of the carburetor
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.