Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

which size wheels?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  hossz71 
#1 ·
hey guys,

i'm new to the board. i was thinking about getting some more aggressive tires when i get my tax returns back this spring. i have a grizzly 700, and i am unsure as to what size to go with. my buddy has a 03 grizzly, and he put 27's on and he says he would never go that big again, claiming that they rob to much power.

what are you guys buying?? i was thinking ITP XTR's

-chris

#3 ·
I just ordered a set of 27" Mst's, I have seen them in action and they do great. You could get some 26" ones. All these aftermarket radials tires weigh alot that is where the power loss comes from. XTR's and Bighorns and heavy. I would say if you dont ride much to any mud, mudlites would be a good choice for you. I prefer the Mst's or Mudbugs myself.

#4 ·
i apologize, i meant what size tires, not wheels. and i also forgot to mention what type of terrain i ride. for the most part, i try to stay out of the mud. where i live, there isn't a lot of places to ride, and irritating landowners by ripping all the mud holes up means even less places to ride. although, every now and then.... i ride a lot of woods, and snowmobile trails. we can't ride them on any roads, so there won't be a lot of on road travel.

i'm just looking for other ideas as to what to get, pros and cons.

thanks,
chris

#7 ·
I have the 27" XTR's on mine and am very happy with them, if I had it to do over I would buy them again. The only down side to them for some people is the weight and it does cut the power, with these on it's a whole lot harder to wheelie in high. Not that doing wheelies is a big concern of mine just saying it does cut the power but it still has more than enough for me. They do great in the woods, mud well just about anything, there a good all around tire.

[attachment=101:picture_..._Custom_.jpg]

Attachments

#9 ·
Hey chrispy,
I have the 27" XTR's on my 700 and yea they rob some power, but IMHO there's enough power there that it's not a problem. With the power steering they are no problem to turn(steer). I think the extra ground clearance and the extra traction out weigh the slight power loss. Plus they look cool. I don't think you will regret oversized tire's.

#10 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (greengrizz700 @ Jan 8 2007, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey chrispy,
I have the 27" XTR's on my 700 and yea they rob some power, but IMHO there's enough power there that it's not a problem. With the power steering they are no problem to turn(steer). I think the extra ground clearance and the extra traction out weigh the slight power loss. Plus they look cool. I don't think you will regret oversized tire's.[/b]
I agree 100% with greengrizz. I have the same tires on mine and they are the best. They were recommended to me by a bunch of guys. I can get through stuff without even putting it in 4wd that any other machines would just skate around in and get stuck.

#11 ·
guys, thanks for the imput. i see that most of you guys go with the 27's, and the 14" wheels do look sweet. but have any of you had any problems with axles with the bigger tires, and will the 27's require any fender trimming?????? my buddy has a grizzly 660 with 27's and he has been through a few axles, i think that he learned the hard way on the first few, and he hasn't had any problems in the past few years. although he rides it a lot more conservatively now.

any issues with the 27's?????

thanks,
chrispy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.