Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Radial Outlaw- 27" or 28" for Grizzly 550

This is a discussion on Radial Outlaw- 27" or 28" for Grizzly 550 within the Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos forums, part of the Grizzly Forums category; I sold the 27" Outlaws which were on SS212 rims. Now the Grizzly is up on jack stands waiting on a new set of rubber. ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos

Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos Discuss tire & wheel combos here.

ChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud of

03-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Exclamation Radial Outlaw- 27" or 28" for Grizzly 550

I sold the 27" Outlaws which were on SS212 rims. Now the Grizzly is up on jack stands waiting on a new set of rubber. The Radial Outlaw has my eye. Now I just need some opinions and advice on which size to select.

27x9.5x14 / 27x12x14
-OR-
28x9.5x14 / 28x12x14

The 27s have a total tire weight of 146lbs.
The 28s have a total tire weight of 152lbs.

Price difference is less than $20

I have the Mad Mike machined sheave and 0.5mm shim, 14 gram weights, and orange spring.

Engine is completely stock.

40% mud, 30% river/creek, 30% trail
Average speed per ride is 5-10mph

I'm leaning toward the 28s just because it's cool. But I need to be able to turn these things in deep mud, which does comprise a big part of my ATV riding experience. Then again, the 27s are slightly lighter and probably easier for my little 550 to turn in tough conditions. (2x my 27" Outlaws were unable to turn because of the thick mud) I do not want to regret this tire purchase because Radial 'Laws are $$$.

Help?
ChrisH is online nowReport Post

CajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2011, 10:59 PM
You had trouble turning 27 outlaws with all of those clutch mods done?
YACC member #2
SGCR #3
'07 Grizzly 700 Ducks Unlimited w/eps
30x10x14 Silverback X-lites
14x7 Machined STI HD3s
2" Snorkels
Custom Rad Relo
Custom Split Speakers
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm shim
Gold Secondary
4 14 gram roller weights
4 stock weights

GONE
'03 Grizzly 660 Special Edition
-gone but not forgotten
CajunGrizzJr is offlineReport Post

ChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud ofChrisH has much to be proud of

03-27-2011, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunGrizzJr View Post
You had trouble turning 27 outlaws with all of those clutch mods done?
Yeah, twice.

This one busted the front CV, and the mud wasn't even all that deep. Just super thick!

This one was just a flat-out bogged situation. I got in there in 2wd, got stuck. Engaged 4wd. The tires wouldn't turn. Stuck!

This one was tough to get the tires turning from a dead stop, but once they got spinning it was good... till I completely framed out! LoL

But this kind of riding is getting a little less, which is why I'm looking to get the Radial Outlaws. I'd like a little less "shoveling action" out in the sandy creeks. The Outlaws dig extremely fast so you get something like this -

So what do you guys think - 27s or 28s ???

Aarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond reputeAarons grizznizz has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Ewww that looks like the same hole that I always wind up hauling ass through and breaking axles. Get the 28''
Louisiana mud boggers member #2
"YACC" member #1
Owner of Axle Customs ATV
2004 720 grizz with alot of other shit!

Rather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6.
Aarons grizznizz is offlineReport Post

CajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond reputeCajunGrizzJr has a reputation beyond repute

03-27-2011, 11:26 PM
Man you gotta avoid them nasty sticky ass slop holes. I don't mess with em cus I know what happens... But I'd go 28s, I kno I have swamp lites and they're different tires, but I'm pretty sure they're heavier and on the 660 with a shim and weights I really don't have any trouble spinning. Just got to stay out of the sticky sh*t!
YACC member #2
SGCR #3
'07 Grizzly 700 Ducks Unlimited w/eps
30x10x14 Silverback X-lites
14x7 Machined STI HD3s
2" Snorkels
Custom Rad Relo
Custom Split Speakers
UNI Air Filter
1.5mm shim
Gold Secondary
4 14 gram roller weights
4 stock weights

GONE
'03 Grizzly 660 Special Edition
-gone but not forgotten
CajunGrizzJr is offlineReport Post

NCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2011, 10:46 AM
As long as you stay out of those super sticky holes, you should go with the 28s. I love mine!!!!
ITP SS108s
Hl Tire Sealant
1.5mm shim mod
EPI orange spring
Barkers Dual Exhaust
EHS Racing Intake
EHS fuel programmer
Warn Front Bumper
Moose rear bumper
Fender Bars w/ footpegs
AP Skids
Warn RT2.5
2R Racing pegs, side rails
Rock Sliderzz
Kimpex Fender Flares
Tamarack Front Box
Moose handgaurds
rotopax 4gal fuel pack
NCMUDMAN is online nowReport Post

07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute07grizzlymud has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2011, 01:59 PM
How did you like the 27" Real Laws if they worked good except for not being able to spin them then I'd stick with the 27's. Unless your not going to see the peanut butter mud anymore, then grab the 28"s or get some stall springs, they help with the take off but then can break axles too.
07grizzlymud is offlineReport Post

03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07grizzlymud View Post
How did you like the 27" Real Laws if they worked good except for not being able to spin them then I'd stick with the 27's.
Thanks-
I really liked my Outlaws. It's just that someone made me a deal on them that I couldn't pass up- wheels & tires.

I only had problems spinning them- I think- because they just grab so much mud it's unbelievable! They get better traction in mud than they do on pavement! haha

I liked they way they handled; it was "fun" needing 4wd on hardpack at speed. I didn't like that they rode so rough out in the rocky riverbeds, though, and the sandy hill climbs were usually futile. Once I got shown-up by a 300cc bike on 25" Zillas. Not good!

But mud, wow, were they awesome. It didn't matter if the skid plate was dragging or not. As long as there was something under those 1.5" cleats, we were still rocking and rolling. LoL

All of this is to say that I'm not married to a particular tire. I wanted to try out something different. I've run the stock tires, Zillas, Outlaws, and now Radial Outlaws. The Radial 'Laws looked like an interesting mix of trail + mud. I just needed a few ideas on whether to step up to the 28s or stay with the 27" size. Either way, this time I'm going with those FAT 12" wide rear tires.

What a change from the skinny 9.5" Outlaws

Last edited by ChrisH; 03-28-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Hog Runner is just really niceHog Runner is just really niceHog Runner is just really niceHog Runner is just really niceHog Runner is just really nice

03-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Buy the looks of that mud it doesnt really matter witch one you get looks like it would have hell turning either one of them. That looks like some mean holes.

28x10/28x12 Gators on stockers
Viper 2500
2R exhaust tip
1.5 Shim Mod
4-16 & 4-14 gram weights
Gold Secondary Spring
Mad Dog Cargo Bag
Hog Runner is offlineReport Post

Lil griz 538 is on a distinguished road

03-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Just look at the weight diffrence, between a 27 and 28" tire is only half inch height diffrence. And that diffrence isnt even in lug size.

2011 grizzly 700 FI green 30" mudlites on 14" motosport rims
LOUISIANA MUDBOGGERS member #3

2011 Grizzly 700 Green
14" motosport alloys
30" mudlites
1.5mm shim mod
14 gram rollers
White secondary spring
Snorkled
Uni air filter
Big gun fuel optimizier
Dynatech cdi box
Hanger mod :) lol
Two UNI stickers (+15hp)
Lil griz 538 is offlineReport Post

NCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond reputeNCMUDMAN has a reputation beyond repute

03-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Radial Outlaw weights
28s
front- 37lb
rear- 39lb

27s
front- 35lb
rear- 38lb

your skinny regular outlaws weighed just over 30lb each
ITP SS108s
Hl Tire Sealant
1.5mm shim mod
EPI orange spring
Barkers Dual Exhaust
EHS Racing Intake
EHS fuel programmer
Warn Front Bumper
Moose rear bumper
Fender Bars w/ footpegs
AP Skids
Warn RT2.5
2R Racing pegs, side rails
Rock Sliderzz
Kimpex Fender Flares
Tamarack Front Box
Moose handgaurds
rotopax 4gal fuel pack
NCMUDMAN is online nowReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos

Search tags for this page

27 inch outlaw tire weight

27 inch outlaws on atv
27 inch outlaws ss212 fo-14
27 inch outlaws tires

27 inch radial outlaws

27 outlaw height

27 outlaw radial weight

27 outlaw radials

27 outlaw radials vs 28

28 outlaw radial weight

best 28 tires for grizzly 550

grizzly 27 inch outlaw
grizzly 550 28's

grizzly 550 28s

radial outlaw

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.