Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Bighorns,Blackwaters,or Bearclaw HTRs?

27K views 49 replies 16 participants last post by  btends 
#1 ·
Looking for some input from the experts here.I'm considering replacing my stock tires with either the Maxxis Bighorns,ITP Blackwater EVOs or Kenda Bearclaw HTRs.Mostly slow technical trail riding on hard pack,loose big rock,some sand,and a little asphalt.Very little mud.Looking at either 25s or 26s.Looking for opinions on these tires,also considering the ITP SS216 wheels.

#2 ·
Lol..... All of them mentioned are worthy tires. If itvwas me I'd like to try out the Blackwater's. Bighorns are tried and true.

Also another tire to consider is the GBC dirt Commander. They are a very stout tire that offers very good grip. I've had 2 sets and loved them both

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks NCMUDMAN.I was leaning towards the Blackwaters and I will check out the Dirt Commanders.

#4 ·
Also I know some of theses are heavy tires.If I stick with 25s am I still going to notice low end power loss?

G
#5 · (Edited)
I have 26" Bearclaw HTRs on ITP SS216s and have over 600 hard miles on them so far. I have to ride 4 miles of pavement every time I ride and the tires are still showing little to no wear on them. I have only had one flat and that was due to a nail and that includes hitting a rock in the trail about the size of a concrete block at 45mph that bent my stock SE wheel in 3 inches but didnt hurt the tire at all. As far as power loss, yes I can feel it a little bit but can still wheelie in high and a couple of weeks ago I hit the rev limiter running just over 68mph so its not bad. I had 25" Big Horn 2.0s and these new tires dwarf them.

With all of that being said I am just about to pull the trigger on a set of Blackwater EVOs because I think for my riding that is the best all around tire I can buy.

#6 ·
Hey thanks thekevin for your reply and the pics.That set up looks really nice!A friend of mine has the HTRs on his Arctic Cat and really likes them.

#7 ·
I'm running Blackwaters now. Good so far. Real good in mud,slurry,rock hoppin, log jumping. Good power sliding on the hard pack and gravel trails. I don't do much winter riding seem to be just fair in the snow.
Tried 7,6,5,4 psi. Perform best at 5psi.

Reactions: rat
#8 ·
The O.G.'s have proven to be a great tire for the conditions I ride. From the desert slick rock in Moab (3000 ft.) to high mountain mining trails topping out just above 14,000 ft. there hasn't been a performance problem with them. I have bent all the wheels with no tire damage from the impacts, yet have a couple plugs due to nails.
I do ride pavement at times and found that re-setting the tow to get the front tires pointing straight ahead keeps the tire wear down.
We don't have deep, thick peanut butter mud, but in mud less than floor board deep, the tires pull just fine. I haven't had a problem turning them, but I do run a modified C.V.T. set-up.
I recommend a tire 26"s tall as there is plenty of room for C.V.T. mods, while extended fuel range is easily had. A tire 26.5"s tall makes the odometer correct for true speed too.
I have 7000 miles on them in three years and think another year will happen.
I'm not easy on the grizz, here are a few pictures of from my area over the last 3 years,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/98048924@N06/

And here are a few videos from the last year,
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?o=U

Also, other G.C. members have visited/ridden this area with Rockers and Growlers with equal ride performance, just not as many miles to prove long term durability.

Happy Hunting...

Reactions: it400
#9 ·
ITP Terracross would be another great option you no doubt have read the miles I put on mine , I run pavement , sand everything that your looking to do . Look at this SxS he won running Terracross Tires .
Kyle Chaney (Chaney Racing / Can Am) Won The 2014 Grand National Cross Country Xc1 Modified (Side By Side) Class Championship In His Can Am Maverick 1000r X Rs Unit, Giving Brp Its First Ever Gncc Side By Side Title.

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks for all the great feed back and suggestions.I have been researching this for the past few days and having a hard time making a final decision.

#11 ·
26" Blackwater Evo's on the way along with the SS216 rims!Thanks again to all for your input!

Reactions: reogem
#12 ·
Congrats man!! Look forward to hearing what ya have to say about them!!

#13 ·
#14 ·
Lonerider, I've read that article and I completely disagree with his assertions about the Bighorns. I've got 1500 miles on mine and they have been outstanding, very pleased.

I just did a snow ride in 10" of snow last weekend and the BH's were awesome.

#15 · (Edited)
Got the Blackwater Evos and the SS216s on the machine! Love the new look!!!!Can't wait to ride with them!Shim for the CVT on the way.

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY
#18 ·
looks nice maybe my next tire or choice oh and I like the RED

#19 ·
Looks great, congratulations, let us know how you like them.

#20 ·
That combo looks great!

#21 ·
Got a nice break in the weather this past weekend and got to try out the new Blackwater Evoloutions.I am very happy with the tires!I was concerned with getting a rougher ride with the 8ply.I ran the fronts at 4.5psi and the rears at 4psi and they road smooth.Traction was great, it was very sloppy out later in the day when the ground thawed out.Ran over a few logs,loose big rock,mud and sand.They performed well in all conditions.I also like the wider stance with the wheel and tire combo.I am at about 50.5" in the rear now including the sidewall lugs.Overall I am very pleased with these tires and would recommend them to anyone who likes to trail ride.Time will tell on the wear.One word of caution,they are not yard friendly!!

#22 ·
it400, that's the same pressure I run my BH's at, gives a real nice ride. I agree on the wider stance, makes a big difference. I'm at 49.5" on the rear, I can't go any wider, as our trails are gated 50" wide.

Reactions: rat and it400
#23 ·
Hey it400.. Machine look great. I finally settled at 5psi all around. These tire are very sensitive to psi ½lb low and they start to pull. At least on the 13 the 14 may be different.

Reactions: rat and it400
#26 ·
Holding the tape measure and eye balling,it looks to be about 50.5" at outer sidewall lugs.

Reactions: rat
#29 · (Edited)
I knew there would be some power loss going with a taller and heavier tire.How much???? If you look at post no.5 by thekevin on this thread this may help answer your question.Different tires but same size as the Blackwaters.Knowing there would be some low end loss I went ahead and ordered the primary shims and installed them before my first ride with the new tires.With the shims it now feels pretty much the same as with the stock tires.I have since the first ride installed a secondary EPI purple spring,this helped with engine braking and I am happy with this set up.I always felt the bottom end of high range was a little too high to start off with when everything was still stock.

As far as the pressures I have only ran mine at 4.5psi front and 4.0 psi rear.I'm not that big of a guy 165lbs and running lower pressures to help smooth out the ride for my back.There are a couple of post on this thread by reogem,he has tried different psi settings and runs his at 5psi.

So far I have ridden two times with these tires and really like them!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.