Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Clutch Troubles....please help

This is a discussion on Clutch Troubles....please help within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; Okay 1. 2002 Big Bear 400 4x4 2. Friend's kid's ran it low on oil because they lost the oil fill stick. 3. They had ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

2002BigBear is on a distinguished road
12-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Clutch Troubles....please help

Okay

1. 2002 Big Bear 400 4x4
2. Friend's kid's ran it low on oil because they lost the oil fill stick.
3. They had some guy up north look at it and got it running
4. ATV ran with limited range only 20 mph max speed.
5. I look at it, and lots of ticking, adjusted valves.
6. Ran great for 5 mins down the street and locked up.
7. I tear apart engine and found the piston pin had sheared off
8. Put a big bore kit in. New piston etc...
9. Ran great, moved and everything.
10. Head gasket seeped oil.
11. Removed head only and had tested.
12. Cam was bad and replaced
13. Installed head, and runs great.
14. NOW IT DOESN'T MOVE, tried the clutch adjuster and nothing. It does click into all gears including reverse but doesn't move.
15. Another mute point, it's been siting for 2 days and the carb started leaking LOL - easy fix but just wanted to complain as I want this thing out of my garage finally. LOL

SO my question is.......what should I check first??? I really don't want to drain the oil and pull the side casing off if i don't have to but just looking for a plan of action. Another side note is it has been 6 weeks as I had to wait for the Head to return if that matters.

Thanks ahead of time,
JC
2002BigBear is offlineReport Post
Banned

jteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these partsjteahan3165 is infamous around these parts
12-23-2009, 08:24 PM
The very first thing I would check is the price of a new Grizzly..........................
jteahan3165 is offlineReport Post
I Mucked up AGAIN?!?!

~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute~Muckboy has a reputation beyond repute

12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Damn Jack....I was going to say the same thing...
Putting an awful lot of work into something you can sell on CraigsList then use that $$$ towards something currently running...
GC/OG GROC MEMBER #2

~Muckboy is offlineReport Post

12-24-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the sarcasm guys. The big bear is not mine, I'm just repairing it, and the atv mechanically runs great engine wise. Just curious if there is something simple than pulling the case off to inspect why the clutch is not engaging.

Again, if you could help that would be appreciated.
Mack450

12-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Hmmm.......stripped gear?

12-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Could be. Before I removed the head because the new head gasket seeped oil it ran and moved great. I didn't do anything to the engine case or clutch cover, just simply took the head off. So it's a little baffling that it won't move. The gears click into position, reverse on up.

Looks like I'll drain the oil and pull the covers off to take a look. I'll do that this weekend and let everyone know what I find.

Perhaps it's a loose nut behind the wrench?? LOL

Any advice on what to look for specifically that would cause an issue with the clutch not engaging while in gear would be appreciated. Or if anyone knows of a service manual online detailing the clutch system would be great.
RIP Mike Mayho

Mad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMad Mike has a reputation beyond repute

12-25-2009, 07:36 AM
I don`t on a bb but on a honda when you move the shifter there is a piece of linkage that disengages the clutch 1st then moves the gear position. maybe that piece got stuck and not letting the clutch engage.

Mike road a mean...
07 770 Green Grizzly: EHS/Barker Port/Polish w/1mm o/s valves,Trinity 734 BBK, Barker +4mm Stroker Crank, Stage 2 Raptor Hot Cam, Barker true dual exhaust, PC5 w/Auto Tune, EHS Airbox Setup, 2mm o/s Throttle Body by KDS, 25.5" Pit Bull Growlers, Owner of Mike`s Powerhouse Mods #2 and #3 (formerly coop45 mods).

GOD BLESS MIKE'S SOUL. HE WAS A GREAT FRIEND AND ASSET TO THIS SITE. SEE YOU WHEN I GET THERE BUDDY! JAMEY (AKA GEARSLAYER).
Mad Mike is offlineReport Post

04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Sorry for not closing this, but I took apart the clutch and re cleaned. All I can think of is that I didn't have the springs torqued correctly the first time I put it together. Clutch works great but now I have a different problem that I'll post.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
2000 yamaha big bear 400 2x 4 cluch wont work
2000 yamaha big bear 400 clutch adjustment
2001 big bear 400 clutch adjustment
big bear 400 tighten clutch

big bear clutch adjustment

clutch adjustment 2004 yamaha big bear 400
clutch adjustment procedure big bear 400
clutch adjustment yamaha big bear
how does the clutch work on a yamaha big bear 400 2004
how to adjust clutch / 1998 yahama big bear
how to adjust clutch on 2002 yamaha big bear 400
how to adjust clutches on yamaha big bear 400 4x4
yamaha big bear 400 automatic clutch adjustment

yamaha big bear 400 clutch adjustment

yamaha big bear clutch adjustment

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.