Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Leaking fuel on 05 Kodiak 400

This is a discussion on Leaking fuel on 05 Kodiak 400 within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; My Kodiak 400 4x4 has had a gas smell since May after it was tipped on its side almost rolled over. I have not started ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

05kodiak400yami is on a distinguished road
12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Leaking fuel on 05 Kodiak 400

My Kodiak 400 4x4 has had a gas smell since May after it was tipped on its side almost rolled over. I have not started it or touched since then. Since then it smells all the time. It wasnt hurt just lost our place to ride and 2 of us had babies.... Getting it ready to plow snow and I see the left front frame rail is wet and the tube coming off the bottom of the carb is the culprit. Any ideas why? I have rolled it over before and never an issue. I am mechanical but just not with small engine stuff. The carb has been jetted and I have a home made cold air intake tube. I noticed it was a bit sluggish off the line the same day it was semi rolled and a buddy rode the next day and was commenting on the sluggishness off the line.

Thanks Steve
05kodiak400yami is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,416 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
[QUOTE=05kodiak400yami;189237]My Kodiak 400 4x4 has had a gas smell since May after it was tipped on its side almost rolled over. I have not started it or touched since then. Since then it smells all the time. It wasnt hurt just lost our place to ride and 2 of us had babies.... Getting it ready to plow snow and I see the left front frame rail is wet and the tube coming off the bottom of the carb is the culprit. Any ideas why? I have rolled it over before and never an issue. I am mechanical but just not with small engine stuff. The carb has been jetted and I have a home made cold air intake tube. I noticed it was a bit sluggish off the line the same day it was semi rolled and a buddy rode the next day and was commenting on the sluggishness off the line.

Sounds like the float is stuck due to trash in the needle and seat from the rollover and it's leaking from overflow. Have you shut off fuel at the tank petcock? Try tapping on the float bowl to free it up. You may have to remove the float bowl and clean the trash out and/or replace the needl and seat.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

05kodiak400yami is on a distinguished road
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I have had that done 2x now. Yes I turn the gas off, ever since I had the carb jetted it leaks into the air box when I trailer it anywhere. 2 different shops have worked on it and it still is tempermental. I guess it is back to the shop again... Thanks much Steve
05kodiak400yami is offlineReport Post

TheGrizzter is just really niceTheGrizzter is just really niceTheGrizzter is just really niceTheGrizzter is just really nice
12-16-2010, 11:42 AM
My money is on the Needle and Seat. Little brother's 450 kodiak was leaking out the vent tube as well. Replaced the needle and seat, cleaned up the bowl, and its as good as new.

For a while we were able to just turn fuel off between rides but it finally got so bad it wouldnt run.

-12" ITP SS Wheels wrapped in 26" swamplites

-Warn 2500 Winch
-Tamarack rear box
-Vip-Air windshield/fairing
TheGrizzter is offlineReport Post
DJ

Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,416 Posts
AZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond reputeAZ08Grizz has a reputation beyond repute

12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05kodiak400yami View Post
I have had that done 2x now. Yes I turn the gas off, ever since I had the carb jetted it leaks into the air box when I trailer it anywhere. 2 different shops have worked on it and it still is tempermental. I guess it is back to the shop again... Thanks much Steve
Get a rebuild kit for the tank pet cock too!! If shut off it should not leak gas!!!! Period.
08 Camo 700EPS, 26" BH OGs on Blk 108's, 1" frnt whl spcrs, Elka Stg 2, RDC 2" lift , Rhino axels, EHS Bullet Box & lid mod w/K&N, Dyna FS, HMF Swamp Exh, Coop45 sheave, greaseless wts, purple spring, Yami US HD frt bumper, Bison Hunter rear bumper, ViperMax 3500 w/syn line, ATVrocks skids & Rock Sliders, Rox risers & Solex tapered quad bars, Roto Pax, PIAA Intense White H4's, Plano 1510 rear box.
AZ08Grizz is offlineReport Post

gregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to beholdgregp is a splendid one to behold
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
On Yamaha 1st generation R-1 Motorcycles, it is well know that the o-rings around the outside of the valve seats go bad within a few years due to the alchohol in our fuels.
If this o-ring in your carb was subjected to carb cleaner, a remedy may be as simple as replacing this o-ring if the seat and needle look fine.
gregp is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
2003 kodiac 400 lost all its gas
2003 yamaha 400 big bear 4x4 fuel line

draining car on yamaha kodiak how muck gas should flow

fuel cock for 1994 yamaha kodiak 4x4 400

gas tank valve for 2007 yamaha kodiak tav

kodiak 400 leaking
kodiak 450 fuel leaks out bottom of bowl

kodiak atv 400 gas leak carbutor

www.yamaha big bear 400 gas tank cutoff valve
yamaha kodiak 400 4x4 leaking oil that smells like gas

yamaha kodiak 400 gas line

yamaha kodiak 400 leaking gas

yamaha kodiak 400 oil leak
yamaha kodiak 450 leaking gas
yamaha kodiak fuel line drain
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.