Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Kodiak 400 seems to keep frying starter relays. Buzzing instead of starting

This is a discussion on Kodiak 400 seems to keep frying starter relays. Buzzing instead of starting within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; This 2005 Kodiak 400 started having issues last year. Would all of a sudden either die and make no sound at all when you tired ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

a_gunslinger is on a distinguished road
03-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Kodiak 400 seems to keep frying starter relays. Buzzing instead of starting

This 2005 Kodiak 400 started having issues last year. Would all of a sudden either die and make no sound at all when you tired to start it or make a buzzing under the seat by battery when trying to fire it up with starter switch. After a bunch of posts last year it was suggested Starter Relay possibly bad. Sure enough it had blown a fuse. Replaced fuse and it worked fine but then later started not firing up again - buzzing again under seat when starter button pressed (see video below for the sound). So I replaced starter relay and it was great for several months.

Just last week it started not firing up again. Same symptoms - the buzzing sound again under seat where the starter relay is. Bad relay again? Or can something else be causing the relay to fail? Or is it relay at all this time? Can other starter issues cause this sound?

Any ideas to point me in the right direction before getting another relay?

StarterRelay - UEP's library

Many thnaks!
a_gunslinger is offlineReport Post

waltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond repute

03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
check the voltage at the 2 wires opposite the 2 red wires on the 4 pin plug on the starter relay..thinking that perhaps you are dropping voltage in that supply line (either Ground or 12v) causing the contacts that pull the solenoid in to suffer high resistance burnout.

double check condition of the battery..(loadtest at Walmart/Autozone)
But I'm feelin' a voltage drop situation ( dirty corroded contacts causing voltage to be lost at that point)

Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 03-31-2012 at 08:15 AM..
waltinbatonrouge is offlineReport Post

grizz413 is just really nicegrizz413 is just really nicegrizz413 is just really nicegrizz413 is just really nice
03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
2x check you're voltage at the battery at rest and watch it when you push the start button. Of it drops you may have a bad connection our your battery its on its way out. You could also put it on a charger for a while then try it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
2" Power Tip
Grunt Clutch Kit
Diff-Lock Override
Reverse Override
grizz413 is offlineReport Post

03-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinbatonrouge View Post
check the voltage at the 2 wires opposite the 2 red wires on the 4 pin plug on the starter relay..thinking that perhaps you are dropping voltage in that supply line (either Ground or 12v) causing the contacts that pull the solenoid in to suffer high resistance burnout.

double check condition of the battery..(loadtest at Walmart/Autozone)
But I'm feelin' a voltage drop situation ( dirty corroded contacts causing voltage to be lost at that point)

Using a voltmeter out side my expertise - maybe time to leard. With respect to the dirty/corroded contacts are you referring to the conacts on the starter relay or at batterry. Both look clean but will clean and test. Thanks for the replies.

Accordnc will become famous soon enoughAccordnc will become famous soon enough

03-31-2012, 12:18 PM
Mine does this and I have replaced the relay twice and I'm starting to think its the battery just being low cause I can start it by bypassing the relay and let it charge for a while and then it doesn't do it anymore.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tx2j44

04 Grizzly 660
Warn winch w/ synthetic cable
Ricochet full skids and CV covers
Wild boar radiator relocate
2" Gorilla stage one lift
Custom front bumper
28"Zillas on ITP 12" ss212
1" wheel spacers
1.5mm shim mod

WIFEY'S Grizz
07 GRIZZLY 350
3000lb winch and winch saver
2" lift RDC
1mm shim mod
27" Zilla's on stock 12" wheels
Heated hand grips
Pink camo seat
Pink camo painted racks
Accordnc is offlineReport Post

03-31-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. How do you bypass the relay? Autozone told me the battery was Ok for what thats worth.

waltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond reputewaltinbatonrouge has a reputation beyond repute

04-02-2012, 07:32 AM
hey gunslinger...

The battery has to be top notch healthy..did they give you a little printout that says its good? just asking, cause some years back a guy at Autozone put a voltmeter on mine and said "yup its good"

I said "can you do a load test and not just a voltage test" ..
He says "don't need a load test if its got the right voltage' i say 'not quite mr Autozone" went to walmart they use that little hand held machine that runs a LOAD test prints out a " bad battery" tape..

bought a new battery for the waverunner, instantly fixed intermittant solenoid click, no start.

anywho..if you turn the key on, then take a big pair of pliers that aren't your BEST pliers (cause the arcing will melt tiny pieces of the tip of the pliers), and use them to MAKE a soilid connection of the 2 big wires on the starter relay..it will crank and start. (leave key off it will crank but NO Start.

( you are then bypassing the relay with the pliers)

Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 06-06-2012 at 07:55 PM..

04-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltinbatonrouge View Post
hey gunslinger...

if the battery is good thats important..did they give you a little printout that says its good? just asking cause some years back a guy at Autozone put a voltmeter on mine and said "yup its good"

I said "can you do a load test and not just a voltage test" ..
He says "don't need a load test if its got the right voltage' i say 'not quite mr Autozone" went to walmart they use that little hand held machine that runs a LOAD test prints out a " bad battery" tape..

bought a new battery for the waverunner, fixed intermittant solenoid click, no start.

anywho..if you turn key on then take a big pair of pliers that aren't your bEST pliers (cause the arcing will melt tiny pieces of the tip of the pliers), and use them to MAKE a soilid connection of the 2 big wires on the starter relay..it will crank and start. (leave key off it will crank but NO Start.

( you are then bypassing the relay with the pliers)

No, they just said it was good. But you are right, Advanced Auto parts did give me a printout for anothe rbattery recently. Will check with them on it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>your bEST pliers (cause the arcing will melt tiny pieces of the tip of the pliers),

Yay - fireworks! This sounds like fun.

04-02-2012, 04:49 PM
oh wow! a pyromaniac like me!!! 'sup dog!

Last edited by waltinbatonrouge; 04-02-2012 at 04:51 PM..

04-07-2012, 03:01 PM
Ok, so now what. I go to bypass the starter relay and for the heck of it try to start it to hear the clicking agian - but the quad fires right up!!! Normally would be happy, but in this case an intermittent issues is worse. Cant fix whats working - and more importantly I dont trust it enough to take it anywhere far.

Any thoughts on what would make this issue come and go? Still possibly starter/brushes?

Accordnc will become famous soon enoughAccordnc will become famous soon enough

04-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Also I removed my winch cables and it did fine so I was wondering if that is the problem with mine

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ik2mhl

04 Grizzly 660
Warn winch w/ synthetic cable
Ricochet full skids and CV covers
Wild boar radiator relocate
2" Gorilla stage one lift
Custom front bumper
28"Zillas on ITP 12" ss212
1" wheel spacers
1.5mm shim mod

WIFEY'S Grizz
07 GRIZZLY 350
3000lb winch and winch saver
2" lift RDC
1mm shim mod
27" Zilla's on stock 12" wheels
Heated hand grips
Pink camo seat
Pink camo painted racks
Accordnc is offlineReport Post

04-08-2012, 03:05 PM
While not confident, I found one small thing that may be my problem (fingers crossed). I checked the connections. Couldnt test starter or bypass relay because the damn thing is starting fine right now!

But I followed the harness the relay wires are part of and on the muffler isde, one of the harness cable ties that hold it to frame was broken and the harness was drooping down and sitting on the muffler. Part of the protective sheath had of course meltted from the muffler heat and two of the many small wires inside had a little exposed wire. One of which "seemed" to be a light blue one that went to relay - cant tell for sure though. I taped them up (hoping thats all it needs) and secured harness back to frame away from muffler.

If one of those exposed wires was contacting muffler or each other, or just in direct heat of the muffler, maybe that was my issue.

04-09-2012, 10:51 AM
No luck. STILL died on my riding it. Soem new info/symptoms though.

Starts fine.
  1. Got a couple laps around our property in then hear very slight backfire-type sound. Two back to back.
  2. Goes further, then just dies.
  3. Restarting it it just cranks but doenst start
  4. After a few tries it switches from cranking to that Starter Relay clicking again.
  5. After a brief rest it will cycle back and forth between cfrank but not start then clicking again.
Im at a loss. Couple backfires before dying and cranking but not starting makes me think carb - but the failing to start switching to starter relay clicking confuses the matter.

Thanks for any input.

workorplay is on a distinguished road

04-14-2012, 06:11 PM
im having the same issue im going to look in to it and ill post back if i find a fix
workorplay is offlineReport Post

daver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond reputedaver18qc has a reputation beyond repute

04-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_gunslinger View Post
No luck. STILL died on my riding it. Soem new info/symptoms though.

Starts fine.
  1. Got a couple laps around our property in then hear very slight backfire-type sound. Two back to back.
  2. Goes further, then just dies.
  3. Restarting it it just cranks but doenst start
  4. After a few tries it switches from cranking to that Starter Relay clicking again.
  5. After a brief rest it will cycle back and forth between cfrank but not start then clicking again.
Im at a loss. Couple backfires before dying and cranking but not starting makes me think carb - but the failing to start switching to starter relay clicking confuses the matter.

Thanks for any input.
What i'd check :
Battery voltage when quad stops running then won't start
(If any less than 12v, not good, check next step)

Running voltage when quad is running fine
(If any less than 13.8v, Check/Replace Stator and Voltage Regulator)
(If 13.8v or more, Replace Battery)

Also, i am aware that the newer grizzly's have some kind of fuel cut-off valve that is supposed to shutdown fuel supply when the quad is tipped/rolled over, but they are known to go bad and shutdown the fuel supply randomly.
8x 15.6g Clutch Weights (drilled)
Carburetor Slide Spring cut 3 turns
Muffler tip cut off, hole made bigger
Airbox top cut open with a screen
Reverse and Full-Lock Limiter Bypass
Carlisles Badland xTr radial tires
^^25-11-12 and 25-8-12^^
Warn XT25 2500lbs winch

Last edited by daver18qc; 04-14-2012 at 10:35 PM..
daver18qc is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
2000 yamaha big bear 400 starter draging

2000 yamaha kodiak 400 starter solenoid

bruin starting selonoid buzzing
install solenoid 98 kodiak
replaceing the coil on a kodiak 400
solenoid on yamaha buzzing not cranking

starter relay kodiak 400

testing solenoid yamaha
where is starter on kodiak 400
why does my 2007 yamaha grizzly 400 not start

yamaha kodiak 400 starter relay buzzing

yamaha kodiak starter

yamaha kodiak starter relay clicking

yamaha kodiak starting issues

yamaha kodiak starting problems

Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.