Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

450 Head Gasket?

This is a discussion on 450 Head Gasket? within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; Hi Folks, Finally finished work on my 03 - 04 450 kodiak and fired her up on the driveway this week, I noticed a small ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

thejim662 is on a distinguished road

09-10-2012, 07:27 AM
450 Head Gasket?

Hi Folks,
Finally finished work on my 03 - 04 450 kodiak and fired her up on the driveway this week, I noticed a small amount of frothy coolant leaking from the lower radiator hose connection where it enters the rad on the left hand side of the bike so I grabbed the hose to see how hard it was and it was really hard - there doesnt appear to be any oil in the coolant or vice versa and it isn't blowing white smoke but I guess it could be due to pressurized combustion gases getting into the water system?
Will check the thermostat and see if its opening and also see if the fan comes on but I suspect it might be the head gasket so what I want to know is can the head gasket, piston rings and timing chain be changed with the motor in the frame or am I going to have to pull it all out onto the bench.
thanks
Jim
thejim662 is offlineReport Post

Poorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to beholdPoorfolks is a splendid one to behold

09-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Did you do any work to the motor where most of the coolant ran out? If so you may have a air pocket in the system. Run the motor to temp with the rad cap off to ''burp'' the the system. If bubbles still come up after a while it my be pumping CO into the cooling system.You usually can smell something(co is oderless) wrong in the vapor coming off of the top of the rad, but in some cases you need a co tester. After the test if the blue fluid does not change color(blue to green then yellow) its ok with no combustion leaks.
I believe you can do the piston/rings or head in the frame.
I have a snap-on co tester but it cost about 60 bucks. Lisle makes one (#75500) that you can buy for under $30.
Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector
Poorfolks 1 inch HD lift
Poorfolks exhaust mod
handwarmers
Warn winch & fiddy inch eagle plow
sway bar delete
reverse light
4 Maxxis 25/10/12s
SS 108s
Poorfolks is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Poorfolks For This Useful Post:
thejim662 (09-12-2012)

NickH will become famous soon enough

09-10-2012, 04:10 PM
I jist rebuilt my 06 Kodiak 450 without removing the engine. They finally made it easier on us. Not sure about your year.

Last edited by NickH; 09-10-2012 at 04:11 PM..
NickH is offlineReport Post
The Following User Says Thank You to NickH For This Useful Post:
thejim662 (09-12-2012)

thejim662 is on a distinguished road

09-12-2012, 05:31 AM
Hi Folks,
Well last night I pulled the top end apart in the frame (no need to pull the motor plenty of room) and the head gasket has definitely gone.
Timing chain was badly stretched too it had run out of adjustment on the auto tensioner and looked like the stretch was bad enough to put the timing about 5-7 degrees out if you line up the t mark on flywheel and the groove on the cam drive sprocket with their marks on the engine castings.
thanks for the help and advice guys
Jim
thejim662 is offlineReport Post

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
2008 grizzly 450 head gasket replacement
buy head gaket yahaha 450

do you have to reset the.timing when you change the headgasket on a yamaha kodiak

grizzly 450 how to remove head

how hard is it to change the headgasket on a grizzly 450

how to change a blowed head gasket on a 2008 450 grizzly
how to remove the head on a 450 yamaha rhino
how to tell if rino yamaha 450 has a blown head gasket
howtochangeheadgasket2000bigbear

removing head on kodiak 450

repair head gasket in yamaha bruin
replace head gasket on a yamaha 450 grizzly
where is the head gasket located on a grizzly 450

yamaha 450 grizzly head gasket

yamaha grizzly 450 head gaskets
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.