Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Yamaha big bear 350 brake adjustment screw

This is a discussion on Yamaha big bear 350 brake adjustment screw within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; I have a 1991 yamaha big bear 350 4x4 that im gonna be restoring. It has sat inside a garage for approx 12yrs and the ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

yamaha_bigbear_4x4 is on a distinguished road

11-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Yamaha big bear 350 brake adjustment screw

I have a 1991 yamaha big bear 350 4x4 that im gonna be restoring. It has sat inside a garage for approx 12yrs and the last time i rode it i remembered that there was no more rear brake adjustment, its already been adjusted all the way. My question is: Once the wing nut is adjusted all the way does this mean it needs new brake pads or is there another way to adjust the rear brake to give it more life??? Just wondered what the procedure was when its adjusted all the way! This way here if thats the indication that its needing new brakes, i will add new rear brakes to my list of things i will need to get! Also would it be wise to get another wing nut and spring? The spring looks smashed to me and the ears on the wing nut was already broke off when i purchased the atv back in 1994. Thank you for any advice or assistance in advance!
yamaha_bigbear_4x4 is offlineReport Post

Thanked 1,395 Times in 1,057 Posts
Civicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond reputeCivicgsr has a reputation beyond repute

11-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Is that a drum brake setup?

If its anything like a Honda, once the drum it self gets past the wear limit new shoes will do nothing.

If the drum is way overpriced like a Honda ($250+) you can modify the brake cam to create more range to push the new shoes into the "just past the service limit" drum.
28" ML's
Civicgsr is offlineReport Post

11-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah it has drum brakes on the back! Like i mentioned, the adjustable wing nut right now is drawn up as far as it will go! Since its my first time at this point i figured i would ask just to see if there might of been any other adjustments and if there wasnt then i would simply put the rear brakes on my list along with all the other parts i was planning on getting!

steelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant future

11-03-2012, 05:51 PM
I have a 1990 350 big bear 4x4 and you also described my linkage set up however in the rear it is disc pads enclosed in like a steel protective drum looking device. In the front it has 2 drum brakes ,but rear 1 disc brake.
Soft camo Cabela's rear bag
Swisher univ mount and plow
Symtec heated grips and thumb
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps
11 mm blue LEDS at 4 corners
2" blue digital temp gauge
steelcity is offlineReport Post

11-04-2012, 08:01 AM
Yeah steelcity i believe your right, i was looking on ebay for some prices and i seen 1 set of pads and 2 sets of shoes! So i have disc on the back and drums on the front!

When your adjustment was drawn up all the way on your atv did that mean you needed new brake pads for the back or was there another adjustment to take ya alil further? I just know i dont have none left on the wing nut adjustment and im assuming that its time for new brakes! I just thought i would ask first before making any purchases!

steelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant futuresteelcity has a brilliant future

11-04-2012, 08:51 AM
Yep out of pad , so is mine ,at least the pads are cheap.
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps

11-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Yeah steel i was looking on ebay and i figured i would order the works, front & back...Check out item# 140866194848 on ebay...Looks like a pretty good deal for front and back brakes! When it comes time to actually take off the wheel i hope there is no surprizes...Its been atleast 17 yrs since the wheel has been off! hahaha The atv has sat in a garage for the last 12 yrs, now im finally gonna bring it back to life hopefully! lol I see where your from Pa...I moved to ky in 1991...im originally from Williamsport Pa, home of the little league world series!

P.S.-Any advise of getting any parts that i might need before i change the brake pads?? I know how things dont last forever and i figured i would ask now so i didnt have to make 20 trips to the parts store! hahaha

Last edited by yamaha_bigbear_4x4; 11-04-2012 at 11:52 PM..

11-05-2012, 04:54 AM
I would take it apart first , all 3 wheels and spray all the springs and clips and adjusters with maybe pb blaster if they are frozed or wd40 if they don't look to bad and let sit for a day or 2. The front pads may just need sanded to remove the haze,or if they soaked up oil or moisture then just replace them. Check your wheel cylinders for leaks and dry rot ?
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps

11-05-2012, 06:26 PM
So your saying you would pull the wheel and spray it down first for a few days? That would be a good idea! On my list is a few other jobs as well, i have wheel bearings for both front wheels and a cv boot! I always remembered that 1 boot being a pain, it would only last for about a mth and i would see a slice in the boot! Back then they didnt have metal guards in the front like i see on some atvs...I wouldnt mind having a set to fit on mine to guard them cv boots! Im wondering if i should replace that joint, even though the boot stayed slite all the time i always kept grease in it! The part i believe is $40 on ebay with a cv boot! If it was you, would you just get the rear wheel bearings as well and do them to while your at it or just wait until it needs it later?? I found a complete rear wheel bearing kit on ebay for only $18, it will do both!

P.S.-I just read on yahoo news that a toddler fell into a african wild dog exhibit at the Pittsburgh Pa zoo, did you hear about that steelcity??

Last edited by yamaha_bigbear_4x4; 11-05-2012 at 06:50 PM..

11-06-2012, 05:06 AM
sad very sad about that little 2 yr old ,just terrible thing to happen and the poor mother that witnessed it and the father who showed up later according to the press. My prayers go out to the little toddler and the parents,family. Not sure about the wheel bearings ,they seem pretty durable with my big bear and also my boots have held up well also ,however if you have the extra money and plan on keeping it a while then might as well replace all that while u have it apart.
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps

11-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Yeah that is sad, I couldnt believe it when i read it!
So far i have bought online oil filter, front wheel bearings, carb rebuild kit and front & rear brakes. Tomorrow im gonna look and see what condition the foam air filter is in since they want so much for the thing...Mise well not spend folishly and just get what is needed! Im then gonna go get 10W-40 engine oil=3 Qts, Gear lube 80W-90=1 Qt, Brake fluid Dot4 and spark plug NGK D8EA=qty 1....I really dont know how much gear lube to get for the front and back! Do you think 1 quart would do it or 2??
Another question-Might sound dumb but when i change the oil and its all drained out, im gonna take off the oil cooler to clean out between the fins real good and put it back on....When i fill it back up with oil the whole system takes 3 quarts of oil total correct or will it take more since i took off the oil cooler??? I never had the oil cooler off before but i remember 12 yrs ago it was running hot so i want to clean between the fins and straighten out the fins "if needed"!

Last edited by yamaha_bigbear_4x4; 11-06-2012 at 05:39 PM..

11-06-2012, 07:22 PM
good question about the oil cooler taking more oil ? I don't know ,you could just hit it with the hose ,it is easy to get to even both sides . As far as both pumpkins (diff oil) you only need 1 quart ,after doing both you will have a little left over. What I like to do is drive the quad a little bit to warm up the fluids and mix up the dirt/debris then give it a quick drain while she is still warm. However I don't think yours is running ? Your doing this to get it running?
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps

11-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Exactly! If it was a regular service i would do it the same way you mentioned but this is alil different! I was bein safe about it & thinking since it sat for 12 yrs i was gonna change everything out first and then see if it will fire up! On the parts i bought online, i always contact the seller before i buy any item and so after contacting each and everyone i bought 70% of the parts i needed. I say an hour later i see that one item which is the brake shoes & pads was updated and will be shipped soon, then 30 min later the seller sends me a message stating that they are not 100% sure the item will work for my atv....what the heck?? I sent a message response real quick and stated that if the item isnt compatible after i specifically called and verified before i purchased then im not gonna be held responsible for paying to have the item sent back in the mail! I couldnt believe they was trying to pull a fast one! Unbelieveable! So when i receive my parts i might have a slight set back, hopefully not! It specified 1991 yamaha big bear 350 on the item...i called anyways cause i dont like having issues later on & the lady who answered the phone looked it up and said yes it is compatible with your 1991 yamaha big bear 350 4x4 atv....Im wondering if the yamaha big bear 350 and the yamaha big bear 350 4x4 are different...Do you think they would be?

11-07-2012, 04:43 AM
Most likely the same ,you can always verify that on rocky mountain atv and look up both models to verify part #'s .
DDM 6K 35w HID lamps

11-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I looked it up on a site called part shark, the part numbers match for the front shoes and the part numbers match for the rear pads! I really dont know why they would update the transaction, purchase a shipping label and then message me to tell me we arent 100% sure it will work! I kinda have an idea, makes me think they was covering up just in case it isnt compatible so i would have to pay to have it shipped back! I dont think so!! lol Actually i feel confident that it will be fine!

Last edited by yamaha_bigbear_4x4; 11-08-2012 at 12:18 AM..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
36w led ligh bar flood vs spot forums
92 yamaha big bear rear brake adjustment
94 big bear 350 brake pads
94 yamaha kodiak front brake adjustment
adjusting brakes on a yamaha fourwheeler

adjusting brakes on wolverine

air screew adjustment on a big bear yamaha

how do you adjust the front break shoes on a 1992 yamaha big bear

how to adjust brakes on a yamaha 350 big bear
how to adjust rear brakes on a 1996 big bear atv
rear brake adjustment 04 350 yamaha bruin

yamaha atv front drum brake adjustment

yamaha big bear 350 front brake drum

yamaha big bear rear brake adjustment

yamaha wolverine 350 4x4 rear brake adjustment
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.