Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum

We tell it like it is!

Big Bear Brake job

This is a discussion on Big Bear Brake job within the Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion forums, part of the Other Yamaha Forums category; What can I expect? I have done numerous brake jobs on cars; disc and drums. I asked a shop how much they would charge and ...

Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine here.

01BigBear400 will become famous soon enough
04-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Big Bear Brake job

What can I expect? I have done numerous brake jobs on cars; disc and drums. I asked a shop how much they would charge and he said it depends on how much labor was involved, saying they can be a pain in the a**.
This bike is so old and all of the bolts are seized. I broke quite a few removing the racks so I could remove and paint the fenders.

I have the rear shoes. Is it a straight forward process like on a truck? It are there special tools I need? This is my first ATV so bare with me. Took the Mrs. on a ride yesterday and she enjoyed it....so maybe I can get her one too! LOL

01BigBear400

sent from the Honey Badger Nexus
01BigBear400 is online nowReport Post

YellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to behold

04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BigBear400 View Post
What can I expect? I have done numerous brake jobs on cars; disc and drums. I asked a shop how much they would charge and he said it depends on how much labor was involved, saying they can be a pain in the a**.
This bike is so old and all of the bolts are seized. I broke quite a few removing the racks so I could remove and paint the fenders.

I have the rear shoes. Is it a straight forward process like on a truck? It are there special tools I need? This is my first ATV so bare with me. Took the Mrs. on a ride yesterday and she enjoyed it....so maybe I can get her one too! LOL

01BigBear400

An ATV brake job is a heck of a lot easier than an auto brake job. Everything is smaller and lighter and simpler
YellowKodi is offlineReport Post

Greg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to behold

04-08-2013, 11:49 AM
The hardest part of a brake job is just getting everything apart. The rest is like any car really. The worst part is damaged or seized cylinders or bad linings. Those will cost you some bucks. However, if you can get it apart, doing the job is pretty easy and hopefully putting it back together will be easy also.

My Bear has no front brakes because the PO neglected them to the point they are literally gone. I'm in the process of trying to find parts to change out the drum brakes to disc, but that is proving to be a challenge too.
1991 Big Bear 350 4x4
1994 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
Greg1991 is offlineReport Post

04-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Re: Big Bear Brake job

I'm hoping all I have to do is replace the shoes that I've already bought.

01BigBear400

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

04-09-2013, 04:54 PM

Well...as you would know it....my luck with this Big Bear just ain't that good. I can not get the drum off and on top of that I broke a tap off of the backing plate!
The one that the spring clips to. The way it looks in my Clymer manual is the drum/hub is one assembly.
True?

Help, if you know how to get the drum off.

01BigBear400

YellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to beholdYellowKodi is a splendid one to behold

04-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Quote:
Well...as you would know it....my luck with this Big Bear just ain't that good. I can not get the drum off and on top of that I broke a tap off of the backing plate!
The one that the spring clips to. The way it looks in my Clymer manual is the drum/hub is one assembly.
True?

Help, if you know how to get the drum off.

01BigBear400

Honestly youre wasting your time rebuilding the rear brakes anyway. I gutted all the brake stuff off mine (shoes brake lever and cable). Get your front brakes working 100% and those are more than enough to stop the whole bike. The rear is nothing more than a parking brake. But it sounds like your drum is seized to the axle splines. Soak it in penetrating oil, or heat it off, or persuade it off with a BFH. Just make sure you don't hammer directly on the axle shaft threads(where the large hub nut goes).

04-11-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKodi View Post
Honestly youre wasting your time rebuilding the rear brakes anyway. I gutted all the brake stuff off mine (shoes brake lever and cable). Get your front brakes working 100% and those are more than enough to stop the whole bike. The rear is nothing more than a parking brake. But it sounds like your drum is seized to the axle splines. Soak it in penetrating oil, or heat it off, or persuade it off with a BFH. Just make sure you don't hammer directly on the axle shaft threads(where the large hub nut goes).
I may be wasting my time rebuilding the rear brakes, but it will gimmie peace of mind....especially if my kid is riding it.
It will be a few days before I can get back to looking at it.

Question 1: Do the brake cables have to be removed before the drum will come off??? I agree with you that its probably seized onto the axle.. But I read somewhere that the cable has to be removed.

Question 2: Is there any other site for OEM Yamaha parts that are less expensive than Partzilla.com? I have checked quite a few Websites and partzilla seems to be the lowest priced.

Question 3: Does anyone make aftermarket brake parts; ie rear brake plate, drum, etc?

01BigBear400

Greg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to beholdGreg1991 is a splendid one to behold

04-11-2013, 08:51 AM
It is strange they put drum brakes on your newer bear 400 but my 1991 bear 350 has disc brakes on the rear.

I have found partzilla to have the lowest prices, or their partner company boats.net sometimes. The one thing about them is they take up to 3 days just to ship the order, so you won't get anything from them in a hurry.

Keep working on it. You need to have functioning brakes, especially if the kids are riding that bike.
1991 Big Bear 350 4x4

04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Quote:
I may be wasting my time rebuilding the rear brakes, but it will gimmie peace of mind....especially if my kid is riding it.
It will be a few days before I can get back to looking at it.

Question 1: Do the brake cables have to be removed before the drum will come off??? I agree with you that its probably seized onto the axle.. But I read somewhere that the cable has to be removed.

Question 2: Is there any other site for OEM Yamaha parts that are less expensive than Partzilla.com? I have checked quite a few Websites and partzilla seems to be the lowest priced.

Question 3: Does anyone make aftermarket brake parts; ie rear brake plate, drum, etc?

01BigBear400

Only part of the cable you need to touch is at the wingnut adjuster/cam lever at the backing plate. Even then you don't need to remove the cable just back the wingnuts off all the way to take off all tension off the cam. I don't think anyone will carry "cheap" OEM Yamaha parts. Yamaha sets their own price regardless of who you buy OEM parts from. Its like Microsoft and their software, they set the price and that's THE price you pay anywhere. Some places vary by a buck or two. OEM Yamaha parts are retardedly expensive.
For aftermarket parts, just go to any place that sells powersports/atv`s. They have aftermarket parts books IE: Motovan, Parts Canada (or Parts Unlimited for folks in the U.S.),Moose Utility/Moose Racing...and a few others.
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowKodi For This Useful Post:
Greg1991 (04-11-2013)

04-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1991 View Post
It is strange they put drum brakes on your newer bear 400 but my 1991 bear 350 has disc brakes on the rear.

I have found partzilla to have the lowest prices, or their partner company boats.net sometimes. The one thing about them is they take up to 3 days just to ship the order, so you won't get anything from them in a hurry.

Keep working on it. You need to have functioning brakes, especially if the kids are riding that bike.
Ya I never understood Yamaha`s theory on replacing a good sealed disk rear brake solid axle with a problematic drum. We 1993 and up guys got hosed.

04-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Finally got everything off. Old shoes were broken and moldy! Nasty! Gotta order some new parts now. Hopefully my friend can have the back plate welded back together to save me $200!! I can't believe the back plate is $204!!!
...Don't always get the BFH first!......

01BigBear400

Last edited by 01BigBear400; 04-16-2013 at 09:05 PM..

04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Yeah, the BFH has a a place in repairs, but usually as a last resort.

And, check ebay for back plates if you need one. I saw plenty on there recently for fair prices.
1991 Big Bear 350 4x4

04-19-2013, 09:58 PM

Haven't had luck with eBay. All I see are ones people have taken off from their old quads... and they ate different from my model year.

01BigBear400

04-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Quote:
Haven't had luck with eBay. All I see are ones people have taken off from their old quads... and they ate different from my model year.

01BigBear400

Doesn't the 01 bear have the rear drum on the left side, unlike the 90`s had it on the right?

04-20-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowKodi View Post
Doesn't the 01 bear have the rear drum on the left side, unlike the 90`s had it on the right?
No, my 01 has the drum on the rear passenger right side.

01BigBear400

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Kodiak/Big Bear/Bruin/Wolverine Discussion

Search tags for this page
'09 yamaha atv brake job videos
2004 yamaha big bear back brake replacement
big bear front brake drum removal
brake lines for a yamaha big bear 350
how much does a shop charge to change the brake pads on an atv

how to adjust rear brake on 2004 yamaha big bear 400

how to fix yahama 400 big bear breaks

how to remove a sealed brake drum on 2000 yamaha big bear atv

how to remove rear brakes on a 2004 big bear
how to replace rear brakes on yamaha big bear 400
how to take a brake drum off a yamaha four wheeler
yamaha big bear 350 rear brake
yamaha big bear 400 rear brake drum removal
yamaha big bear atv front drum brake adjustment
yamaha big bear brake drum
Click on a term to search our sites for related topics.