2016 Grizzly 700 long term review - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Member Submitted Reviews Read reviews written by our members or write your own!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 91 Old 12-06-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

2016 Grizzly 700 long term review

I've done a couple long term reviews on my previous Arctic Cats. It's been a great way to track repairs and upgrades. Feel free to ask questions or give me pointers as I go. This is my first Yamaha since owning a 1995ish Wolverine. I've had Banshees and Blasters. I'm a former GNCC and Harescrable racer.
For the prior 13 months I've owned a 2015 Arctic Cat XR700. I have a long term review on it on another forum. Let's suffice to say in the 13 months and 3800 miles I owned it left me seeking a new brand.
I purchased a Grizzly due to several of my friends owning them. Riding with these men allowed me to see some strong points of the Grizzly over the Cat. Better suspension, power and reliability stand out.
This thread is a great way for me to track how owning it goes. I hope to ride over 4000 miles on it in the next year. I have lots of parts on order for it. I'm sure I'll be seeking input from this group for installs.
Feel free to jump in on any of my posts. I'm eager to learn from all of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 91 Old 12-06-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

First on my mind was tires. I don't think the stock tires have enough traction points on them. I had Maxxis Big horns on my last quad and got over 3000miles on them. I loved the bighorns and purchased them second hand to avoid the $550-$600 price tag.
This time I found a tire called Wanda. They look like Bighorns. They are 6 ply and I purchased all four from EBay for $250 shipped.
I installed them myself using a manual tire changer from Harbor Freight.
The stock size is 26" tall. I went smaller. I know I'm the odd ball here but hear me out. When was the last time you ran out of ground clearance? Maybe in a super deep mud hole. I'd guess one inch taller or shorter wouldn't make a difference in that mud hole. I went 25" to lower my center of gravity and hopefully increase torque for increased acceleration and hill climbing. Also a smaller sidewall makes for less tire roll in fast hard turns.
Let's see how these Wanda tires hold up.
Braaap! Ride it fast and ride it often!

The Following User Says Thank You to cornfedinohio For This Useful Post:
outbackandy (12-31-2016)
post #3 of 91 Old 12-06-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

2016 Grizzly 700 long term review

Next up is the horn, light bar, winch and heated grips. The Arctic Cats I owned had spots in the wiring harness to add accessories without buying an additional harness. One port up front, one port under the seat and one port In the rear. It meant adding lights and things without relays, buying a special harness or chopping up the factory harness. It seems to me there isn't any ready for use port on the Grizzly. The additional harness available looks like it would plug into an 18-20ga wire. My light bar, heated grips and back up light will require more power than a small gauge wire can provide.
I'm going add a relay. Then I can tap into the harness some where for a Key on source of power.

Last edited by cornfedinohio; 12-07-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 91 Old 12-06-2016, 07:31 PM

Thanked 1,292 Times in 774 Posts

Garage
Congrats on the new ride! May it serve you well.

The previous version Grizzly 700 (686CC) has an Accessory Ignition Power Harness available for purchase (Part Number For Ignition Power Harness #5km-86171-00-00). I would suspect the new version Grizzly would also have that available as well. You should contact a Yamaha dealer and find out unless someone on here can confirm and provide the part number for online ordering.

There's also a good FAQ post on this forum. Most of the tech info predates the current Grizzly 700 (708CC) but you 708CC guys need to start adding to the FAQ.

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...e-posting.html

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter
post #5 of 91 Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM

Hmm, that would be great if that harness worked with the 2016+. Would save me tapping into another keyed power source.

2016 Grizzly EPS
Warn 60" plow setup
3000lb Superwinch
QR windshield
27" Zillas
Yamaha 2" Receiver Hitch
Yamaha Rear Storage Box
Yamaha Foot Pegs
Tiger Tail
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
1.5mm Primary Shims
4 Kodiak 450 Roller Weights
Ricochet Skid Plates
Yamaha Bumpers F/R
Heat Demon Hand Warmers
Rigid Industries SR 10 Light Bar
Garmin Montana 610 with Powered Mount
D2 Fender Flares

Future Mods:
Beadlock Wheels
Rear LED Light
post #6 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Congrats on the new ride! May it serve you well.

The previous version Grizzly 700 (686CC) has an Accessory Ignition Power Harness available for purchase (Part Number For Ignition Power Harness #5km-86171-00-00). I would suspect the new version Grizzly would also have that available as well. You should contact a Yamaha dealer and find out unless someone on here can confirm and provide the part number for online ordering.

There's also a good FAQ post on this forum. Most of the tech info predates the current Grizzly 700 (708CC) but you 708CC guys need to start adding to the FAQ.

http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...e-posting.html

Thank you sir. I looked up the additional part to tap into the harness.
5km-86171-00-00
I've searched the area under the front panel. I've not located any spot to plug in a pair of connections like the one pictured.

post #7 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 06:55 AM

That adapter is a T-tap for the connector going to your ignition key- look for it on the RH fender going to the ignition. The same style harness is supplied with Warn/Yamaha winches install kits.

2016 Kodiak 700
24g Dr Pulley
post #8 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
That adapter is a T-tap for the connector going to your ignition key- look for it on the RH fender going to the ignition. The same style harness is supplied with Warn/Yamaha winches install kits.

Ok, T type makes sense. I think I found it.

This connection has a fake plug in it. It powers on with the ignition as well.

post #9 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

The fake plug has the male connection under the tape but it's void of the contacts and wire that make it useful.

post #10 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I had a connector with a similar terminal. I made it work. It's a touch hill Billy but better than cutting a factory harness.

I'll use this green wire to switch a relay on with the ignition. I wrapped it with electric tape after taking this picture.

post #11 of 91 Old 12-07-2016, 11:10 PM

Thanked 2,042 Times in 1,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornfedinohio View Post
Ok, T type makes sense. I think I found it.

This connection has a fake plug in it. It powers on with the ignition as well.

I just noticed a very serious problem with your new machine... It is easily correctable, but I would get it done ASAP!! It's too damn clean! Introduce it to some dirt stat!!! lol

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skids, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom dash, Blue Sea 5025, Rotopax 4 gallon pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds, flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, Halos
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/...ld-thread.html

-2015 Popo RZR S 900
-2014 Sportsman 90
-2016 Outlaw 50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to okbear For This Useful Post:
reogem (12-08-2016), Rollin (12-08-2016)
post #12 of 91 Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 AM

Garage
Damn fine lookin Grizz you got there...

You are going to love it for high speed riding , vrs your old kitten. I think the tire choice will be great for what you describe.. The only question I have , is if you are looking to keep a low center of gravity , and intend on high speed riding ... What the heck is that MONSTROSITY of a box doing on the front rack ? That sucker is going to mess with your handling more than tire size could ever manage. You may want to look into the Yamaha cargo boxes , they fit right into the rack , and are low profile. I have the Two rear ones (one with stereo , one without) , and really like the design.. I do not run the front one , as I like to have my headlight useable , but you may like it.
here is a link to the thread with the links for parts.

LINK TO ALL YAMAHA ACCESSORIES (USA)PARTS

Look forward to seeing how your quad evolves.

here is my Green Machine, for ideas..

2016 GRIZZLY 700 EPS
Yamaha Front/Rear brush guards, Aluminium Skids,
Camo seat cover, windshield, rear Cargo box, Hitch

Moose Heated Grips/Thumb
3000# WARN VANTAGE
Black Oak LED light bar
Rigid LED rear light bar

Boss 1000W Stereo

KFI synthetic Rope
Elka Stage 3 Front
Elka Stage 4 Rear

"SWAMP" exhaust
27"Mudlite XTR
Air Compressor
HMF fuel tuner
Pistol grip shift
12" MSA Elixir
Dual Batteries
Kenwood sub
Sythetic oils
2mm shim
Rotopax
RamX
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to POHLHAMMER For This Useful Post:
cornfedinohio (12-10-2016), Flach24 (05-09-2017)
post #13 of 91 Old 12-10-2016, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, my tool box looks pretty crazy. Its great to duck behind when your buddies are roosting mud at me! It's a water tight box. Perfect for gloves, extra coat and first aid kit. I also keep a small air compressor and tire repair kit. Not much weight in it. I added some marine grade rocker switches to the box this time. Let's see how long it lasts.
I have most of my extras mounted. Still waiting on a momentary horn rocker switch for the horn.

Installed my box, light bar and winch.

Added a switch panel to run all the extra items.

Installed A 12" rear light bar and the receiver style hitch.

The mittens are a bit on the cheap and flimsy side. I don't see these being on very long or very often. They came with the Tusk heated hand grips.

Heated hand grips from Tusk. $86 from eBay including the thumb warmer and mitts.

Now I need to ride soon!

post #14 of 91 Old 12-13-2016, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

38 miles ridden so far.
Add 2.5 gallons of gas at my first fill up 33 miles. 13.2 MPG seems very poor. I'm hoping it gets better. At that MPG I'll get 50-60 miles to a tank of gas.
Adjusted my wooden snow plow to fit the new Grizzly. It did fine plowing power wise. The fan seemed to run an awful lot. It was close to freezing temps maybe 30-31. Seems like the fan shouldn't need to run at all at those temps. The snow was pushing easy so I wasn't over working the bike. I used low range.

Installed my review mirror from Koplin. I like this mirror. I had the same one on my last quad.

My horn switch came in. Still waiting for the horn to come.

post #15 of 91 Old 12-13-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

This is how the rear of my plow is attached. Picture is from my old Arctic Cat but it's the same deal on the Grizzly.

The Following User Says Thank You to cornfedinohio For This Useful Post:
outbackandy (12-14-2016)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Reviews & Articles > Member Submitted Reviews

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode