Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

New 1999 Grizzley 600 4x4 owner

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Grizzly4fun 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello All. I am Ronnie from Arkansas. I just today received a 99 Grizzley 600 4x4 from man I have know for years. He wanted my virago 1100 and I wanted his toy. He has book which I need to go get from him but he is in another town and I want to play with it now.
I ran it out of gas today and after I got it gassed back up and started I made one small round around house and it was leaking oil out of air cleaner. Ran real good before this. What is your advise for me to do or do I need to take to dealer. Would rather fix it on my own.
Thanks to all.

PS. I forgot to mention my sons wife tried pull rope and now I can not get it to return. She was not aware it was electric start I guess. Any cures for this?

#2 ·
Welcome from Forida, hippie! Glad you are here with us at GC.
Pull the pull start cover off of the left side and inspect. Probably got dirt in it or weak spring. May be able to completely unwind, put tape around rope next to housing and lock in place with vise grips. Then rinse out housing and rope of any dirt. Let dry and hopefully may wind back up for you. Might just need to replace.
I used to live in Little Rock a while back. Went to school there too.
Where do you live in Arkansas?
Good luck

#3 ·
P.S. you may have a blow-by issue causing pressure build-up in crankcase and spitting out of crankcase vent hose that terminates in air box. Another consideration is that you may have too much oil in crankcase. Check that first!
Good luck

#4 ·
Hello All. I am Ronnie from Arkansas. I just today received a 99 Grizzley 6000 4x4 from man I have know for years. He wanted my virago 1100 and I wanted his toy. He has book which I need to go get from him but he is in another town and I want to play with it now.
I ran it out of gas today and after I got it gassed back up and started I made one small round around house and it was leaking oil out of air cleaner. Ran real good before this. What is your advise for me to do or do I need to take to dealer. Would rather fix it on my own.
Thanks to all.

PS. I forgot to mention my sons wife tried pull rope and now I can not get it to return. She was not aware it was eectric start I guess. Any cures for this?

WOW, no wonder you ran out of gas. That 6000 must really suck it down. You got a lot of posting to do, I don't think anybody here has got a 6000. Lot of 600s, hope they can help you. hahaha

Anyway, welcome to the jungle from Upstate New York. Congrats on the trade. Glad you found the site. There is plenty of useful information here, so anytime you have a question, just abuse the search feature to see if the information has already been posted. If you can’t find anything, just start a thread in the appropriate forum and you’ll have help in know time. The best thing about this site is the members and their wealth of knowledge. There are plenty people here willing to put in their 2 cents. Some of it you’ll find useful, the rest, well lets just say it will be entertaining. As if you don't already know, spelling errors are free game. Just don't spell winch incorrectly or people will have a field day. Enjoy the site and get working to that garage to get some pics posted.

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply. I bad with the 6000 model, (opps). I lived around Beebe for few years not far from Little Rock and moved to Jonesboro Ar. Thanks for tips and I am going to try this out for sure as not working and plenty of time to mess with machine. I feel I need to run on down to owners house in another town to get his book on this as feel I need to know all I can about these great machines. Thanks all.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.