Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Kodiak VS. Grizzle???

17K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Packmaster 
#1 ·
I am back again. I was going to get a 700 Kodiak a few months ago, but things did not work out for me.

We I am getting back on me feet and its been something that has been popping up a lot here the last few weeks.
I am about sure I want the Kodiak, but what will I gain with a Grizz?

What ever bike I end up with will have a 700 FI., EPS, 4X4, Diff lock. and would like the Tactical Black (But open)

I been looking at some of the 2016 Kodiak, but it seems harder to find one in S.E.

Right now I do have a 2005 Yamaha Kodiak, and I do love it. Bike runs good but something about that F.I. I want.

At first I was just thinking about the KODIAK, but I would like to know what I will be missing out on with the Grizz? I know that the Kodiak is a but smaller and I do like that. But what are other PROS, and CONS about both of them,

I am going to buy it new, and I hope this will be the ONLY ATV I will need to buy.

I am going to use it for a few things.
1.Play
2. Work on the land
3. pull/push old cars around
4. trails

Ok, about 90% of it will be for play lol

But if you can give me some thoughts about them let me know. I know I can go to the dealer and look at them all day, and maybe a 5 min. test drive but I want to hear from you all that been on them for hours at a time.

See less See more
#2 ·
Kodiak vs grizzly

Kodiak is narrower grizzly offers wider stance more stability and all usher suspension

Everyone refers to the Kodiak as smaller but it is literally a half inch smaller no big deal

Grizzly has a more performance driven CVT set up. This can be gained on the Kodiak with changing out the weights in the Kodiak.

Other then this they are pretty much the same

#3 ·
If you haven't done so, go to Yamaha's site and do a comparison between the two bikes, 2017 Kodiak EPS and 2017 Grizzly EPS and check out the specs. Didn't look but assuming you can do the same for 2016.

Some additional info that didn't get mentioned by TRev.

Grizzly gets Diff Lock, adjustable preload shocks, 7.6" travel versus 7.1" for Kodiak, rear brakes are dual disc versus Kodiak multi-disk wet brake

Dimensions:
Kodiak - 81.5 in x 46.5 in x 48.8 in
Grizzly - 81.5 in x 48.4 in x 49.3 in

Max Ground Clearance:
Kodiak - 10.8 in
Grizzly - 11.3 in

$1400 price delta

I recall someone saying the frame is shared between the bikes. There is also a thread on GC where EHS is taking a new Kodiak and doing some simple bolt on mods and making quite the bike of it. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either bike.

Reactions: JB556
#4 ·
We have 16 Kodi.eps without dif lock which isn't a big deal. If you really need diff lock Oleblue22 has a manual kit for 1/3 what oem costs. But you would have to install it.

Size what RR posted give a good idea of size difference.
To add a little more the seat on the Kodi is 2" lower. The difference in ground clearance is just the tire size 25's on the Kodi 26" on the Griz. Kodi has an 13" small turning radius.
The Kodi comes with 30 gram roller weights. For me it needs to have 20 gram roller weights install.

A 2016 Kodi EPS SE is basically a 2013 Grizzly EPS with bigger engine, a 3rd headlight and relocated gas tank.

I like the Queens Kodi so much I'm thinking of getting one this spring.

Reactions: oleblue22 and JB556
#5 ·
What ever bike I end up with will have a 700 FI., EPS, 4X4, Diff lock. and would like the Tactical Black (But open)

I been looking at some of the 2016 Kodiak, but it seems harder to find one in S.E.
If you really need /want that diff lock then only the Kodiak SE will have that option. That will be about $1k less than the EPS Grizz. Or if you can live without the diff lock, the Kodi EPS is about $1.5 k less than the grizz. Lots of mods can be had for this money, or just put the savings into your kids college fund :nerd:
I never found myself stuck in 4x4 where I could't get out and wished I had the diff lock.Besides, that is the reason I have a good quality winch installed, right? Only sometimes I would have liked the convenience of "push button" 4x4 instead of lever flipping. Still not justifying the extra $500 to me.
The frames on the Grizz and Kodi are different, I don't know exactly how but they're 2 different part numbers and the Grizz one is more money :laugh:

The Grizz disk brake on the rear vs the Kodi wet brake ? I don"t have experience riding a Grizz so no comparison on stopping power there but I think I like very much the maintenance free aspect of the wet brake setup.
All in all I really like the ride of the Kodiak, power is there, nimble on the tight trails... after a day of riding my younger buddies with CanAms and Hondas are all sore, I could go for another day without stopping:grin2:

#6 ·
I often need and use the differential lock when climbing out of creeks. I'm not arguing that it is required, but it comes in handy.
Also, ground clearance and track width are certainly desirable features in my opinion.

Reactions: JB556
#7 ·
Thanks guys. You all made some good points. I love the size of my 450, but that Yamaha Fuel injection is what is pushing me to a new one. I do like the push button 4x4 . As said, I do not need the Diff lock, but I do not want to get it home and be kicking myself for not getting. I do hope this will be my last ATV I will buy (for myself that is)

The wet brake, is something I will look more into. Do not know a lot about them, but the idea of mud not getting into it seems like a good idea.

But for the most part I think I am going to go with my gut. The first pick. The Kodiak. Thank you all for your input. Thank you.

#10 ·
If you're planning on this being your last atv, then I wouldn't hesitate to get the Griz or the SE Kodiak with diff lock. You never know when you might need it. I don't use it a lot but when I do, I'm sure glad I have it. Also add up what it's going to take to get the Kodi where you want it vs what comes stock on the Griz... Spacers for width, rollers, and so on. If the price difference is worth it to you, get the Kodi. But if you're leaning toward the Griz, get it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.