Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Where do you hook your tie-down straps on the Wolverine?

7K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  GreenGiant 
#1 ·
Where do you hook your tie-down straps on the Wolverine?
Looks like the A-arm might be a good bet in front, but trying to find a good place in the rear. Needs to be on the sides due to trailer length, the rear is right up against the tailgate ramp.

#3 ·
Can't bring myself to pay the ridiculous prices vendors want for tire bonnets.

My issues with using the tow hitch is that the straps are then going 90 degrees to the side. That allows a certain range of movement forward/backward before the straps tighten up fully. When the machine is in the middle of a trailer with empty space front/back of it, that's not too bad. But when you're cramming as much ORV as you can on a trailer, and there's some give, the machines can damage each other. Also, this trailer has a rear ramp that folds up. If the machine shifts back into the ramp, the ramp will shave the Wolverine's tailgate like a cheese grater.

What has worked well for me with other machines is to cross the straps - put straps somewhere near the front pulling the machine backward, and put straps somewhere near the rear pulling the machine forward. Then it can't go anywhere.

There is so much plastic around the rear wheel well on the Wolverine though, and nowhere obvious to put a strap in a place where the strap would not come into contact with the plastics.

I need to get it driven up onto the trailer and have another long look, I guess.

#4 ·
#5 ·
The thread Tracen8r posted has mention from geerig about the system he uses. I PM'd geerig a while back and he was very happy with that system, so ultimately I bought the same system but at a much reduced "sale" price on Amazon at the time - https://smile.amazon.com/Commercial-ATV-Mower-Strap-Tie-Down/dp/B01NCV79MZ/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1498401185&sr=1-2&keywords=Erickson+Wheel+Chock+Tie-Down

The good news is you can pick up an identical system via Cabelas which is on sale right now - Cabela's Tire Tite System : Cabela's

I bought two Erickson sets for my trailer, so each wheel is secured. I have gone over many very rocky access roads and just felt better with each wheel secured. My Grizzly does not move, shift or ? and i leave it in neutral while transporting on the trailer. Even better is that I can secure all four wheels very quickly.

#6 ·
Lower front A arm to trailer by rear wheel. Lower rear A arm to trailer by front wheel. Best way I have strapped it down to date. Front of machine is being pulled back rear of machine is being pulled forward. It is at lowest point of suspension so can't shake loose.

#7 ·
I have owned my PJ 77x10 trailer for years and never got around to installing tie-down rings for my Grizzly. I'm going to have to do it now as I have a hard time tying down my Wolverine too. I have tied once similar to @Scoundrel s description and it worked OK. The other time I tied down as in the picture below. The rear has a strap tied to a rescue clevis in the rear hitch receiver and the front was strapped to a couple of the front frame cross members. I really wasn't happy with either method. It think I am going with e-track and wheel bonnets when my new trailer shows up. I picked up four of the Erickson bonnets for $25 ea but need to sort out how I want the e-track set up on my trailer.

#8 ·
Photo wouldn't upload yesterday for some reason...

Attachments

#10 ·
Thanks for the correction geerig. I must have thought you had the Erickson's since they were on my mind and I don't have that PM any longer. I do know you were really pleased with the setup you are using. I am really glad I bought the similar setup, so easy to tie-down.

#11 ·
I ended up bolting some 3/8" forged eye bolts (the solid ones, not the bent ones with the gap) into existing holes in the A-arm assemblies front and back, and that is where I will attach the tie down straps. That way I can use straps with hooks with a gate that closes on the hook, so if the thing shifts and loosens up, the strap won't come off completely.

I might one day go to those tire bonnets, but not today.

#12 ·
Max's tire bonnets! I should have done this years ago with my Grizzly's too.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I park with the front tires butted up against the front of the trailer. One strap around the bumper to the tongue of the trailer. Another strap looping through the rear a arms toward the front of the trailer pulling the machine forward.

Attachments

#14 ·
I installed the e-track in my enclosed trailer for my Grizz. Haven't got to use it yet but looks like it will be very easy to strap it down.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.