Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

okbear's '14 camo 700 EPS build thread

24K views 136 replies 21 participants last post by  okbear 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I would start a thread on my build. There was a little interest through pm's to keep up with it. I bought this machine with 215 miles on it so the previous owner pretty much just broke it in for me. The only accessory it came with was a crappy Harbor Freight winch which I'm sure cost the guy at least 25 bucks on a sale day. Don't expect anything like Whiskey's build thread. I'm not quite that handy.... or motivated. More to come later...

Here she is in all her stock glory getting her first service.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love build threads

I disagree, it will be every bit as good!

#3 ·
I think the rule is that you must keep adding pictures with your build!

Reactions: okbear
#4 ·
lol. They're coming. I'll update to the point I'm at now when I have some free time later. Wife just got home.

#5 ·
I'll be watching.:shocked::shocked::shocked:

#6 ·
My vote for the first mod is mounting that pink speaker box on the front rack!

#7 ·
:rofl:

#11 · (Edited)
Full Ricochet skids. Gearslayer was nice enough to give me a discount code that was greater than the regular forum discount.

The next order of business after the service and skids was that damn winch... This is a dealer photo so they were trying to use it as a selling point. And it didn't work...

KFI removed from the '10 and mounted / wired on the 14...

Mounted contactor high and dry. Tight fit there, but it works. I was in a bit of a hurry as it was late and we were going riding the next day. I still have a little cleanup to do but you get the idea. Also mounted the Blue Sea fuse block. I don't have anything to wire to it just yet so it's just mounted and not wired.

#12 ·
Swapped handlebars from the 10 and 14 (Thanks for the tip, Wade). I didn't want to buy new grips for the 10 when I moved the Heat Demons. These are also the bars PA Grizzly graciously sold me so a piece of his machine will still ride with me. I got all the wiring run for the grips. Just need to solder in the connections and tuck it all away.

#13 · (Edited)
Two great features of your build thread OK is-
1.)By including your name you have a great title.
2.)Goes with out saying it's a Grizz.

More great features will be added.

#14 ·
Where'd ya get the cool Yamaha workbench? I especially like the Ricichet filing cabinet! I wonder if they'll make that in UDPE....

#15 · (Edited)
Haaaa... Those decals are from my sons old Raptor 90. It came with two sets for a boy or girl. I sure wasn't going to let some perfectly good Yamaha decals go to waste!! Especially after I converted from Honda.

#16 ·
Ordered....

:banana::icon_ goofy::banana::icon_ goofy::banana::icon_ goofy::banana::icon_ goofy:

#17 · (Edited)
What made you choose big horns ? I barely ever hear them mentioned on the forum. I would have thought you may have considered the itp tire, I think it's called a plug lite or something. Those big horns look like they will get 5000+ miles of Colorado Rocky Mountain terrain at high elevation.
Make sure you keep us updated on how this rare tire holds up

Ps... Good choice of rims and tires ... Build is coming along well

Reactions: BDSNJ and okbear
#18 ·
:icon_ laughup:
Thanks. Yea, it's kind of an obscure tire but I figured I'd give them a shot. Pluglites were next on the list.... NOT! lol

#19 ·
Good choice, the beadlocks are worth every penny. All black will look good, black lugs are a nice touch too. I've always loved the look of bighorns, and they have a cult like following for a good reason.

White letters in or out?

#20 ·
I didn't specify so probably out. I don't really care. As you know, one of the advantages of beadlocks is I can easily change it myself if I decide to.

Reactions: whiskeymike
#21 ·
I like the look of running the letters out. I have never run into the "rubbing the white off" issue that you hear of so much

#24 ·
Nice wheels, can't wait to see them on.

#27 · (Edited)
I need to publicly thank PA Grizzly and Whiskey who gave me some guidance on the beadlocks. Thanks guys!

#28 ·
Coming along nicely I see.

You need to make a short trip to CO for some riding come summer!!!

#29 ·
Man, I'd love to! We'll do it sometime.

#30 ·
Powermadds arrived yesterday.

#31 ·
Coming along nicely! Camo and black is such a sweet color scheme. You will love those big horns! I know I sure do! Best decision I ever made was abandoning the mud riding style and swapping tires. What size did u get? Beadlocks are awesome, anxious to see how that style wheel looks on ur machine. Those are some great looking hand guards!

#32 ·
Thank you. To be fair, I actually borrowed the wheel idea from PA Grizzly. He got them and I couldn't stand how good they looked (and I'm not a big bling guy). I like the idea of beadlocks, also. Those along with the Big Horns was a pretty sizable investment but I figure I'm keeping this machine around for awhile (my wife rolled her eyes when I told her that... lol). Either way, the stock tires and wheels can go back on when the time comes to trade up again. With the reports on how long the Big Horns last, they'll probably dry rot before I wear them out as little as I get to ride. lol. I love where I live but I sure wish I had great riding areas immediately available like a lot of the members here do.

I ordered 26" which I understand are actually a bit taller. The tires on my '10 are 28" but actually stand at 27". That's the tallest tire I would care for, so I think the 26" will work out well. I also have shims and a purple spring in hand just waiting for me to find the time to throw them in. I have 1.7mm in my '10 and will probably start there. I'll eventually have Whiskey machine my sheave as he's local and has done a few of them including his own.

I should have a good report on everything after Valentines Day weekend. We're headed down to a local offroad park called Cross Bar Ranch in Davis, OK. We were recently there for a few hours and had a blast. We're renting a cabin so we'll be there Saturday and Sunday until we've had enough.
:getrdone:

Reactions: PA. GRIZZLY
#33 ·
Are u gonna run 12" or 14" wheels? My reason for asking is my 26" in the 14" size run just at 26" when I measured em new mounted on the wheels off the machine. I believe it's the 12s that run taller tho.

They do wear awesome! I have 750 miles on my set and besides the edges on one side not being square they haven't worn hardly at all. I always tried to avoid the highway when I ran zillas on my old machine, and when I did I rode it slow to save em. These, heck I let it rip and don't think twice!! I figure at 1000 miles I'll rotate em for good measure.

Hey, that's what I did pretty much. Still had the original wheels to my 660 so when I got ready to sell it after getting the 16 I pulled the new tires off of the 16s wheels, mounted em to the 660s wheels and bolted up the ITPs and big horns to the new ride!

The machined sheaves and supporting components really wake a machine up! I'll prolly pull this thing apart before long and start the clutch mods.

Sounds like a good time, looking forward to your impression of all the changes!

#34 ·
I ordered the 26's so they should stand about 26 1/2 which is fine with me. I guess with 14's it may be different but what pressure are you running?

#36 ·
Oops. I meant they'll be on 12" wheels.

#37 ·
I figured that's what u meant :happy:

#38 ·
Wheels and tires should be here tomorrow (actually, later today...). I can't stand waiting!!!! Unfortunately, lugs are running behind and will hopefully be here Thursday or Friday... Damnit. :icon_ cry:

On the bright side, they "should" be here prior to leaving for a short riding trip Saturday afternoon through Sunday evening. Tuesday is my Friday, so I'll have some time to get the purple spring and shims in before the lugs arrive and I can get the new wheels and tires on.
:rocker:

#39 ·
Wheels and tires should be here tomorrow (actually, later today...). I can't stand waiting!!!! Unfortunately, lugs are running behind and will hopefully be here Thursday or Friday... Damnit. :icon_ cry:

On the bright side, they "should" be here prior to leaving for a short riding trip Saturday afternoon through Sunday evening. Tuesday is my Friday, so I'll have some time to get the purple spring and shims in before the lugs arrive and I can get the new wheels and tires on.
:rocker:
Waiting sux. I know, I had the same lug nut issue you are having.

#41 ·
Very useful thread and build you have going on.
Great job and great writing.
I'm interested in replacing my stock tires (and possible wheels also) with better tires, to give me more peace of mind on the trails.
Like the idea of using Kenda HTR's but my second choice right now (all driven by the budget!) are the OG's.
Anybody can tell me how much wider their machine is with this setup? Kenda HTR's 26x11x12 or OG's 26X12X12?
My truck bed is only 48 inches, maybe 49"..., right now the quad with stock tires fits fine with some space on each side, however i don't want to get tires and ending up needing a bigger truck or a trailer.
Another thing: Let's say that the tire is wider 2 inches. It's just rubber and I'm sure it fill deflect towards the inside of the wheel if getting into the truck.
Having this side way force or pressure during hauling can affect in any way the suspension?Any feedback on this topic?
Thanks,

#42 ·
Chris,

Wouldn't you only need front end Grizzly measurements, so 26x9x12 with no aftermarket wheels or spacers?

Reactions: Grizzly_2015
#43 · (Edited)
Might be better to post this in the wheel and tire section but a quick answer,
My 15 with 27" htr's on STI beadlocks is almost 51" wide
If it's 48 between wheel wells your fine, 48" at widest width between bedsides, that's most likely too tight. A cheap small trailer can fix that problem.
Stock wheels + htr's or bighorns SHOULD fit, but no promises.

Like RR said if your rear is on the tailgate that changes things.

Reactions: Grizzly_2015
#44 ·
Not trying to jeopardize Bear's thread. I knew the right audience is in here, and I took advantage.
Didn't want to start another thread only for this simple question
My quad fits almost all the way inside. The gate is open only 20-30 degrees.
It's a Tacoma long bed, but 48"-49" I believe is the largest width size.
Thanks,

#46 · (Edited)
They're here! It's better than Christmas!! But then again, I got a bunch of Under Armour drawers and a few work bench tools for Christmas. lol

You'll notice there's no Bighorn wrapped around this wheel. Being the observant individual I am, I noticed the same. I used the wheel and tire package builder on RM so I don't know what the hell the deal is.:cussing: But I will be finding out later today!

You are about to see my very first tire mounting experience. Wasn't too bad. On the second rear, the damn thing wouldn't take air after I had the ring all torqued down. Back off with the ring and recentered the tire. It took air on the second attempt but I was smart enough to only torque to 6ft lbs and make sure before I did the final torque at 11ft lbs.

Much better!!!:icon_ goofy: I'll do the fronts tomorrow. Need sleep.

Hopefully, my lugs will be here tomorrow. I'll post up a pic as soon as they're mounted on the Griz.

I had to check before crashing for the morning... Good news. Lugs should be here today!

Question: What pressure are you guys running? Need a good starting spot for our trip coming up this weekend.

And TRev... As the tires were't mounted, I had a decision to make. You convinced me to try the white lettering out. I've never been a fan of that on my vehicles but it seems a bit different on quads. I'll give it a shot for awhile.

And PA Grizzly... You were right. Those valve stems and caps are WELL PROTECTED. I had to use pliers to get the caps off since I couldn't get a good enough hold with my fingers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.