My 2008 Grizzly 700 vs two New Polaris 850XP - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Challenges You think your utility quad has what it takes? Post about it here!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

My 2008 Grizzly 700 vs two New Polaris 850XP

So with all this talk of Grizzly 700's vs the new Polaris 850XP's I figured I would post something on my weekend challenge. Two of my good friend bought new Polaris 850XP's in the last month and one of them was talking alot of stuff about how much better his Polaris was than my grizz. And we where going to see how they compared this weekend with a number of trail tests. So we headed out to on of my favorite riding places that is full of deep mud holds and rivers and lots of trials. So I have two Grizzly 700's so I took out on my stock grizzly except for a set of 26 inch MudLite XTR's on SS112 rims. I was up against stock Polaris 850XP's one had 27inch XTR on SS312 and the other is 28 inch Maxxis Zilla on SS212. So we rode all day hit some super huge mud holes and we all made it through them no issues. So we got on the straight away gravel road. And there was no surprise the Polaris wins in a drag race hands down. But in the trees and tight trails turning that big Polaris on a dime was a little tougher than my counterparts expected. So I had no problem putting space between me and them in the tight trees because they needed grease on each side of there machines to get through the tight trees. So the score was one and one next we did endurance well with in a 6 hour ride both Polaris where overheated and baging to go back to the trucks. So after I towed the first over heated Polaris off the trails the second one started to over heat on its way back so I had tow two yah you heard right two Polaris 850XP back to the truck and my little griz did this with no issues at all so overall score go's to 3 to 1 for the Grizzly 700. Figure you all would like to hear about the little Grizzly that could..... I also put some seat time on the new Polaris and its power steering is pretty bad a$$ just as good if not better than the grizzly one. But I don't think Polaris has the endurance of out beloved Grizzlys

Jerry

Last edited by Mad Mike; 06-02-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Great to hear it! I gotta rub it in my popo's friends face now!!!
(Im a die hard Yamaha guy, he is a die hard Polaris guy)

How hot outside was it that day?

'03 660 Green Grizz! - 26" Mud Bugs on SS112
K&N filter - Snorkels - 2" Receiver - Custom 2" tip
Warn 3000RT Front/ 2500 Rear
HL Temp Gauge - Hand/Thumb Warmers
Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
post #3 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 05:44 PM

I would love to see a pic of that. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM

haha very nice Grizzly not the fastest but definitely dependable!! thanks for sharing
post #5 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 07:53 PM
yamacliner rider

Nice, now you have an offical polaris tow strap.

Come see MY Garage
post #6 of 13 Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 PM

I have a 2007 700 EFI Polaris. I road in Moab, Ut May 22nd, 23rd and 24th with 6 riders on Grizzly. None of them out road or out preformed me.
Infact it was probably the opposite.
I'll ride with you anytime, anywhere and I am sure the result will be the same for me and I'm 69 yrs young!
Johnny Mac
post #7 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny mac View Post
I have a 2007 700 EFI Polaris. I road in Moab, Ut May 22nd, 23rd and 24th with 6 riders on Grizzly. None of them out road or out preformed me.
Infact it was probably the opposite.
I'll ride with you anytime, anywhere and I am sure the result will be the same for me and I'm 69 yrs young!
Johnny Mac
We are talking trails. You know, mud, ruts, steep hills, creek crossings, rocks, trees and unseen obejects that surface at a high rate of speed.

Too bad you don't ride in my neck of the woods.

I'd have a strap hooked to the po-po before lunchtime. pinky promise.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 08:37 AM

There are many great quads out there and there are some not-so-good ones as well. When it boils down to it, a great quad is a personal choice. What is great to me might be crap to you.

After racing motorcycles and riding quads for many years, I can confidently say that the rider has more to do with the outcome of a competition than the actual machine. This is true in the photography world as well (I am a pro photographer). I can give an amateur my $30K+ worth of gear and still out photograph him when I am only using a Rebel X (cheap camera). Experience and skill count for much more than a brand name.

Having said that, I think most Polaris ATVs are heavy and not dependable, but that didn't stop Johnny Mac. I would show you some great shots of JM at our recent Moab trip, but he was too far ahead of everyone for me to get many shots of him.

-Twister

post #9 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisterf4 View Post
There are many great quads out there and there are some not-so-good ones as well. When it boils down to it, a great quad is a personal choice. What is great to me might be crap to you.

After racing motorcycles and riding quads for many years, I can confidently say that the rider has more to do with the outcome of a competition than the actual machine. This is true in the photography world as well (I am a pro photographer). I can give an amateur my $30K+ worth of gear and still out photograph him when I am only using a Rebel X (cheap camera). Experience and skill count for much more than a brand name.

Having said that, I think most Polaris ATVs are heavy and not dependable, but that didn't stop Johnny Mac. I would show you some great shots of JM at our recent Moab trip, but he was too far ahead of everyone for me to get many shots of him.

-Twister
You hit the nail on the head, my man. Most people don't understand that statement. It's the "he who wants it most" scenario. I was raised up racing motocross and practicing hot laps on my practice track many, many hours, each and every single day. The results usually were paid in full come race day. 90% of the time it'll be the man running the machine.

post #10 of 13 Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I wish I would have took my camera but the only guy with a camera was the polaris guy and they didn't seem to want to offer up his camera for a photo op of his quads getting towed out of the bush..... Oh well I ride with these guys all the time so I'm sure I'll have more stories down the road..... Hey Johnny Mac if you are every up in Alberta Canada let me know I would love to show you where we ride the trails/swamp skag cut lines are a real treat with deep holds everywhere but I'm sure you would do just fine.

Cheers Jerry
post #11 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 09:30 PM

Well I am not a fan of the new 850. My buddy has one and only had it for the same length of time I had my 08 grizzly 700, which is about 4 or 5 months. So far he has replaced the belt 3 times and we do the same style riding and his is completly stock except for the 27" big horns. I have 28" silverbacks. Maybe when they come out with a better belt it might be a better bike.
post #12 of 13 Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 PM
CRASH STUNT MEMBER

Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,224 Posts

Right on the money Twister.
Johnny Mac is one Heck of a rider and his skill was very good. EX-cept for that tree that got in his way.
hehehe
Hey jurban just keep reminding those boy's of your towing skill when ever they go riding OH! and start charging them a recovery fee.

GREEN It's your Daddy !!!!
http://photobucket.com/desertdweller
'08-700 FI/EPS
OG/GROC Member #1
Thought of joining the Original Grizzly Roll Over Club? (OG/ GROC)
PM me and I'll tell you whats required to join.
All Grizzly's welcome!
post #13 of 13 Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to write on my Tow strap with a Jiffy Marker "Offical Polaris Recovery Strap" I'm sure that will remind them every time they need a tow :) We are heading back to the same spot next weekend for a camp and two day ride. But it has been raining for a few days and its going to rain until next weekend so they are in for a extra treat WAY WAY MORE MUD MY FAVORITE.... I'm sure I'll have more storys after the weekend of June 14th :) Cheer all

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > General Forums > Grizzly Challenges

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode