Stage 4 Activate - Elka - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Chassis & Body Discuss Grizzly chassis and body modifications here.

8Likes
  • 8 Post By SavageGrizzly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-02-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Stage 4 Activate - Elka

So I promised a few folks I would write up a review after some ride time on them.

Well umm they are pretty freaking awesome, right now they are set to the specs that Monster Performance ordered for me and for 75% of stuff I probably wouldn't even need the adjustments. It was an improvement in both comfort and performance, if I were to sum it up in one word that would be "predictable".

Easily able to carry more speed into the corners and in general while feeling planted and in control. Was it worth $2K for them, I dont know yet, time will tell, but I can tell you they are a huge upgrade from stock.

Here are some notes:
I am set a little bit soft on the preload, occasionally sounds like I bottom out on bigger jumps.
Softer preload along with the dual rate springs makes it ride soooooo smooth on normal trail conditions.
Moderate washboard is soaked up and doesn't try to buck you off, when I got into long stretches of heavy washboard it kinda felt like the suspension would load up a bit but nothing like stock.

I think for the next time out I might add a couple clicks of compression and add in 1/4" of preload the the front and then on the rear increase the rebound a couple clicks and see how that handles.

In the end here are my thoughts:
If Stage 4 was $1200 it would be worth it all day long, but the reality is that it is over $2000, very hard to justify.
Is Stage 4 worth the $500-700 upcharge from Stage 3, maybe, this will depend on the rider and how close they can get rebound set up in the first place. If you are lucky, your dealer will have enough information and experience so that the valving that controls rebound will be set right from the get go and never need the adjustment.

If you are trying to keep costs down, my advice would be to go with Stage 2 in the rear and Stage 3 in the front. Adjustable compression seems to be more valuable in the front, where adjustable rebound is more of a benefit on the rear.

Otherwise, if I had I time machine and could go back, I would tell my self to do it again. Saturday put on about 75 miles, I havent had a smile that big in a long time. Straight line riding was boring but extremely comfortable, I kept looking for corners and bumpy stuff to play on. I rode this trail three times last year and I can say for a fact some of these areas I would have to slow down because the ATV would get upset and want to throw me around a bit. That is not the case anymore, now I find myself slowing down for others or because I want to enjoy the scenery.
Just pushing into a corner and hitting a bump mid through the turn with everything feeling so planted was amazing.

Heres to a fun season of riding in 2019!

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
26.5" Pit Bill Growler Uber XOR on STI HD7 14x7 Wheels
EPI Purple Spring & Coop Machined Sheave + 0.75mm shim
EHS Fuel Injection Tuner & Airbox Mod
SuperWinch Terra 35

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
26" Interco Radial Reptiles on '18 Grizzly SE wheels
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SavageGrizzly For This Useful Post:
Blklab (05-02-2019), jvictory1974 (05-02-2019), mainehunter (05-03-2019), PA. GRIZZLY (05-02-2019), Pjniez (06-26-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-02-2019, 06:22 PM

Thanked 1,406 Times in 1,025 Posts

I knew you would like them, few people are disappointed, but they are expensive and not everyone can swing this mod, glad you are enjoying them and continue to let us know what adjustments you are making and how you like them.

07 GRIZZLY 700 eps in CAMO
12" ITP SD Series Single Bead Locks W/
27" ITP Black Water EVO'S
OMI greaseable steering stem mount
Upgraded Stator/ Crankcase Cover
JBS Sheave,16gr.Ods,Gold Spring
ROX PowerMadd handguards
ROX 5in. Grizzly 700 package
Trail Bright Led Back-up Light
J&T atv Digital Temp. Gauge
Heat Demon heated grips
Yamaha rear storage box
2012 oil access footrest
Kuryakyn battery meter
XXbilletXX 1" spacers
Yamaha overfenders
Blue Sea Fuse Block
Yamaha Glide Plate
Level One footpegs
ELKA'S STAGE 3
ODI Rogue grips
Trail Tech Tach
Warn 3500-s
UNI air filter
Gold Plugs
LED bulbs
Tiger Tail

post #3 of 6 Old 05-03-2019, 07:33 AM

Garage
Thanks for your first ride review. I can tell you this from dirt bike experience. You will feel a noticeable change in 2 clicks on either the compression or rebound. If you cant tell any difference there is something wrong with the shock. It will probable take you several rides to get the shocks set the way you like them but once set you will be golden and as trail conditions change I would bet you will be adding or subtracting a click here or there to keep the ride the way you want. Just a reminder to keep a log of what settings you are at as its easy to forget if you had the clickers at 7 turns in or 9. I'm Glad you like them for what they cost and you made a very good point with using the stage 2 in the rear and stage 3 in the front. I'm looking forward to your next review after you had a chance to get them set to your liking.

2017 Grizzly EPS
EHS fuel controller
Wet Slug kit
Machined sheave 3.07 to 1
Stock 18g weights
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
AIS blocked off
ProVantage Warn 2500
Home made Air Filter Fix

Support our Troops
Put your trust in God
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
A couple of folks have asked for more information or more of a long term review on the shocks. I have put on about 200 miles since the last post and can still say I am extremely happy with the shocks. Would I be just as happy with the Stage 3's that are $700 less, probably but only time will tell. So far Monster Performance did a great job on the initial order so I haven't touched the rear shocks yet, still running the compression and rebound settings they sent to Elka when the shocks were built.
On the front I have done a minor preload and compression adjustment but haven't needed to touch the rebound yet. On Friday I bumped the from compression clicker 1 more time (2 clicks up I think, I know I tried adding in one click on a previous ride, but cant remember if I left it there or turned it back) and I feel pretty confident the front is handling the way I want it to. The rears I probably need to look at my ride height front to rear and decide what to do there, bottomed out against the bump stops a few times, thinking it needs a little more preload, compression wise the rear feels dead on, the hits where I bottomed out I am pretty sure are in the high speed compression valve circuit which isn't adjustable until you step up to stage 5.

Saturday was a good normal test, but I couldn't really ride very hard to give it a good workout. I was leading a group of 14-16 people depending on which day and due to breakdowns and one of our riders who is quite elderly I needed to keep the pace a bit slower than normal.

If a person was on a budget I would probably recommend the Stage 3 up front with Stage 2 rears or 3's all around, unfortunately Stage 2 does not have dual rate springs but it does have rebound adjustment. If they put the Stage 4's on sale for something like $1400 it would be a no-brainer.

In the end would I still enjoy the Grizzly with factory shocks, yeah, but I enjoy riding it so much more with the improved suspension.

On a side note, even if you dont wash your ATV after every ride, make sure to wash your shocks, especially the preload threads and collar, just makes life easier when you want to make an adjustment.

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
SuperWinch Terra 35

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageGrizzly For This Useful Post:
Pjniez (06-26-2019), Zrt1200 (06-27-2019)
post #5 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 AM

Garage
Just curious. Where is this Monster Performance located out of??

2017 Grizzly EPS
EHS fuel controller
Wet Slug kit
Machined sheave 3.07 to 1
Stock 18g weights
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
AIS blocked off
ProVantage Warn 2500
Home made Air Filter Fix

Support our Troops
Put your trust in God
post #6 of 6 Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrt1200 View Post
Just curious. Where is this Monster Performance located out of??
Ian is the guy, I believe the shop is in Fort Ann New York.

If you google Monster Performance Suspension or Shocks it should pop up for you. He does a mighty fine job servicing, rebuilding and revalving shocks as well.

If you are looking for a rebuild you will want to check into the lead time, alot of snowmobilers bombard his shop at certain times a year and I think its just him and maybe one other guy doing the work.

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
SuperWinch Terra 35

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
The Following User Says Thank You to SavageGrizzly For This Useful Post:
Zrt1200 (06-27-2019)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Chassis & Body