Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Official 2016 Grizzly EHS fuel controller install/results/thoughts/questions thread!

67K views 178 replies 47 participants last post by  Coles 
#1 · (Edited)
I installed my fuel controller last night. Install was very easy. When I talked to Eric on the phone he said he was sending the controllers out set up for a tip on the stock exhaust. When I got mine hooked up I checked the settings and it's actually set up for a 100% stock machine which is what I currently have. For u guys that have a tip it doesn't matter as its relatively easy to change the settings once u check it all out for whatever mods ur machine currently has or will have. The only settings that change if ur using Eric's recommendations for diff exhaust setups are the first three modes. The last three are the same regardless. Although u can change them if u ever feel the need.

Before I installed the controller I played around in the yard some and attempted to do some runs from a stop to say the corner of my house hitting a max speed of 42 mph but usually it was 40. Some from a roll at 15mph to the corner of my house. I did it multiple times trying to get a good average.

Once the controller was installed I checked the tune that was loaded up and rode around easy to thoroughly warm the machine. I did the same test hits but it was a bit harder to judge the finish line so to speak as it was now dark. At any rate I did see a very small increase in mph on the pod by hitting a best of 43 and a few 42s. This is in no way the best and most accurate way to test but hey it's all I could really do by myself lol.

As far as seat of the pants gain, if someone had installed it and not told me, I don't believe I would have ever noticed a diff. Maybe once I hit the trails I will notice a diff in certain situation but last night I can't say I did.

What I did notice is my head pipe is no longer glowing like it use to. After the hard runs I pulled in the garage with the lights off and looked and couldn't see it at all. After 2-3 cycles of the fan it still wasn't glowing. I took it back out rode at a more normal pace and returned for two more fan cycles at idle and it still didn't glow. Use to I could see it turning with the lights on!

I noticed the closed throttle decel sputtering is still there for all of us that were hoping that would go away. I may try blocking off the AIS to see if that helps eliminate that pet peeve.

My main reason for wanting one of these was to correct the lean condition. Any performance increase was a bonus. I'll def line up with my buddies modded 13 that I beat before to see if I can tell a larger diff. As well as doing another top speed run when weather permits. My fastest to date was 69 mph but since adding the 17" light bar and my audio tube on a diff day the fastest I hit during a ride was 68.

I ordered a 2R Racing tip last night as well. Maybe being more open it will help with the decel sputter as well as add a little more power boost. The sweet thing about this controller and the stock exhaust and a tip is I can swap back and forth the tune and the tip based off what I'm going to be doing or where I'm riding. And all in prolly 5-10 mins tops.

Here's a few pics to tide you all over until your unit comes in and u can check it all out and post your thoughts up.

Here's a video of before and after the 2R racing tip install and how to adjust the controller for the added fuel for the tip.

http://s130.photobucket.com/user/Br...8-4163-9FB4-F908AAF9F13B_zpsmwbntyox.mp4.html

See less See more
#47 ·
What is your question(s), cbull?

#50 ·
Thanks guys appreciate the help, I did watch a couple of Eriks videos I found on YouTube last night upon reading my instructions a couple times and upon reading this last post from KY grizzly it makes pretty good sense now I think I've got a pretty good understanding now.
I guess my only other question or questions would be what each mode is for. I'm going to guess that the first mode is low end second mode is mid range and third mode is high and or wide open throttle near as I can tell anyway. The next three modes I don't quite understand and probably won't need to mess with them until internal motor work is done so those three modes may not be of any importance to me. My next question would be when I get to higher elevation will I be be adjusting all three of the first modes or just one mode if any? Thanks

#51 ·
KYGrizzly is right, all of a sudden it will just click. Kind of like snowboarding if anyone has ever done that.. Anyway, my understand of the modes are as follows:

GREEN (Mode 1) Is the amount of fuel added light throttle to about 1/4 Throttle
YELLOW (Mode 2) Is the amount of fuel added during Acceleration
RED (Mode 3) Is the amount of Fuel added at Wide Open Throttle (WOT)

Using the (-) and (+) buttons in any of those modes would be subtracting or adding fuel in only the mode you are adjusting. Tip - it's good to write down what changes you are making, so you can revert back to anything if needed.

Now the next three modes directly coordinate with the first 3, its just about when they come on depending on your Throttle Position.

GREEN-BLUE (Mode 4) Is at what point the GREEN/Mode 1 activates and adds the fuel for that specific setting. [~1/4ish Throttle]
YELLOW-BLUE (Mode 5) Is at what point the YELLOW/Mode 2 activates and adds the fuel for that specific setting. [~1/2ish Throttle]
RED-BLUE (Mode 6) is at what point the RED/Mode 3 activates and adds fuel for that specific setting. [~Full Throttle]

For the last three modes, if you are messing with these settings, using the (-) button will activate these modes earlier/lighter throttle position or using the (+) will activate these setting later/higher throttle position.

Hopefully this helps anyone who needs it, its pretty similar to the instructions and the video he made, but I kind of used this to understand it more myself. If anything is wrong, please feel free to correct me, don't want misinformation on this thread.

Has everyone been getting the GEN 3 or GEN 3.5 Fuel controllers?

#54 ·
Adc27 they all said Gen 3 on the packaging. Glad u got it figured out!

Hey tech, I think it's cool doing all the testing you are, however, now that u have the controller I would suggest removing the resistor tricks you previously used and try allowing it all to work as designed and just use the controller to add the fuel. Of course with the A/F you listed with the e85 added in it looks like you don't have enough adjustment to add enough fuel even with the resistors in.

Stoich for e85 is just under 9.8 compared to 14.7 for pure gasoline. 12.5 a/f for pure gas would read about 7 on e85. 13.20 a/f would go to about 8.5. This is all considering a true e85 compared to pure gas, and that the wide band was original setup for reading pure gasoline and u are now just running e85.

I know u said you have e85 mixed with some real gas so your not gonna have to see values quite as fat as I mentioned but it should give you an idea.

I'm curious how your machine would run with just straight 93 and the controller set up for a tip on gas. Reason being is from my impressions of my own which although I don't have the cvt mods yet so they aren't as extreme as yours, I feel they are excellent. I'll post up about that in a min.

#55 ·
Tested with the tip now and!!!!

So yesterday evening I got the machine out with the tip installed and controller set to compensate for it. Wow, now I feel the diff that I hoped for and its not in my head. The same speed tests I did multiple times before that reached a max mph of 43 before with just the controller, stock exhaust set for a stock machine, it hit 50 mph yesterday!
From idle just setting in the seat in high I can jab the throttle and it begins to come up now just kinda lightly packs em sets em down and goes. A little tug on the bars as I jab it still setting down normal and it's coming up! I actually got surprised and let out lol.
Just riding it around it seems to rev more freely and the throttle response is noticeably increased. I'm really pumped to go for a ride when the weather warms up some and to run my buddy and see the change. Not to mention I think I'm really gonna be satisfied when I dive into the clutch soon!

Reactions: whittle450
#56 ·
Eric.
I will try to clarify myself.
first yes I am very much aware of a warm up period. I am an auto tech who owns his own shop and have been tuning quite a while.
Second my iat is not bypassed I installed a 4.5k ohm resistor in it to trick it into thinking it was cold all the time and hopefully adding some fuel. I did this because when I did my exhaust tip it felt lean. The same goes for adjusting the tps.
the bike reaponded very well to these mods.
now onto af ratios
I am using a wideband that is not calibrated for e85 and from my experience with this fuel and this sensor 11.0 is good wot and cruise in the 12 with idle on the 13 to 14 range.
I need a little more fuel up top and in the mid range.
Also to clarify about my bike without your box and on 93 striaght gas I was at 12.6 to 13.0 wot near top speed.

KYGrizzly
I wrote that I did run my bike on 93 no ethanol with the controller setup for a tip and it was rich.

#57 ·
KYGrizzly
I wrote that I did run my bike on 93 no ethanol with the controller setup for a tip and it was rich.
The way it read to me it was rich while u had the controller adding fuel and also your iat tricked. Then u turned the controller off, said u wondered if your iat trick was adding that much fuel, yet u didn't mention returning the machine back to stock configuration and trying the fuel controller alone on 93, which is what I suggested just as a comparison to controller on, iat tricked while running your e85 blended with 93.

#58 ·
hey KY, am I reading this right that after you installed just the fuel controller you didn't notice too much of a difference but after you installed the 2R Racing tip, this is when it really woke up???

#59 ·
Yes just the controller set for a stock machine didn't yield much of a diff. Granted I didn't get it thinking it would but more so to have a safer tune and to be able to adjust for later mods. But with the tip installed and controller set up for it, was a very noticeable diff indeed. I'd say guys that want to do the dual exhaust will really be smiling at the sotp gains.

#60 ·
KYGrizzly.
I played with it a good bit yesterday and I will try some today as well.
what I have found is that moving the tps sensor even slightly with move the af ratio drastically.
I have added more e 85 now but I will plug my iat back in just to see.
I wonder what duty cycle this injector is at trying to run e85.
I really want to try a slip on so as to eliminate the catalyst and see if that helps any.
You had previously asked about top speed. Prior to any mods i saw 66 on the pavement. I jacked it up with the tires off and it hit rev limit at 69.
Now with the shims I saw 60 on the road and 63 if I jack it up and run it with the tires off.
I suppose this indicates some belt slip but I would like to find out if it is within spec or not.

#64 ·
the tps will change things a lot when/if we make a custom map it will be important to set to factory spec or recalibrate it. I assume you know what your doing by changing it but for people reading that don't the tps is a low voltage 5 volt sensor it correlates throttle opening back to the ecu. it needs a high voltage or (open position) and a low voltage point (closed) set everything in between correlates to % throttle is open. .692= 0% throttle open and 3.892=100% then 3.892-.692=x/2 = 50% opening etc.

so if you full ecu think that 10% actual opening is 50% then you will be adding more fuel and as well altering timing with the tps off it will idle not well and low speed accell will be very hard to tune

duty cycle to inj will not change any by changing fuel your ecu doesn't know if there is diesel in there it just does what sensors tell it to

the IAT or air temp effects will be a complety separate offset table in the ecu so if main table output says at 2750rpm 10% tps send 1.78ms of fuel to inj you then go to offset tables like IAT which will be at 70 Degrees offset 1.78MS of fuel by 0% or by telling IAT your colder it will have a offset value higher for example ecu things IAT is 0 degrees it will now take 1.78 MS and X by 3% additioinal fuel or a flat MS value like .2 MS what they use im not sure I haven't been inside yami ecu

so what your doing for fuel addition is 1.78MS x 3%=x or at wide open throttle say its 3.78MS x3%=% the fuel addition is greater if % base if its flat MS additional then change is smaller

take what your doing with TPS and IAT

at 10% actual throttle and now thinks its say 100% for easier math

10% throttle used to be at correct factory values =1.78MS

new value with IAT adding imaginery value I picked because fooled

1.78MS + +3% additional fuel (for 0 degrees) .0534
1.78 + .0534=1.834 MS to inj

new value added for fooled TPS imaginery value 100% 3.78MS at 100%

3.78MS + 3% (.1134MS) =3.8934MS

10% correct value 1.78
10 new value 3.8934

basically doubling fuel at 10%

problem is what you get at 10% is what you get at wide open throttle even if you change by only 20% tps value you lose additional fuel at anything above 80% your just shifting extra to come sooner

if you really want e85 I will make map I think is close and you can try it may take a few tries to get right but I can guess and you will be much safer and better results with what I can do behind scence of efi unit.

I can make it push max duty cycle if needed without effect stock sensors. I also have larger injectors if we need that route also

#62 ·
I just did the same too. First off I didn't do any before or after tests, just dove straight into the tip and tuner.

I also noticed a little back fire but it seemed to subside after a bit of time. As was stated earlier I noticed better throttle response and acceleration, The the machine sounds much happier.

I'm at 6500 ft so I'm not seeing any trouble keeping the front end down, but this is to be excepted at my elevation.

#63 · (Edited)
duplicate post

#65 ·
Eric thanks for the post.
Yes absolutely what I did with the tps only make it bring fuel in sooner with no effect at wot and the iat is like you said maybe 3 to 5 percent added to the base tables in the ecm. I could only wish to be able to have something like hp tuners for this ecm that would be awesome.
I ended up bring my tps back to .7 because I got tired of the high cold idle issue and the just after throttle tip in rich issue. I am going to pursue this e85 thing because it does run really strong.
If you think you could make me a base map for e85 with enough tunability in the box I would appreciate it and if you think I need to move to a larger injector then I would not mind doing that as well. I do have plans to make more power down the road most likely a turbo but that wont be for quite a while.

#68 ·
Mine was set for a 100% stock machine. Setting it up for the tip is a breeze however. I posted a link with a how to in the original post in this thread.

Reactions: cbull
#67 · (Edited)
Finally had a chance to install my tuner last night, but sadly wasn't able to take it for a spin. It was a pretty simple set up. Thinking about a 2R racing tip now, but there aren't any specs in the install sheet that Eric sent with the tuner for a 2014 with just a 2R tip.

#70 ·
Ordered a 2r Racing tip from 2R Racing, hopefully their fast at getting things shipped out, kinda concerned I haven't got an email back from them. Once I get the tip I'll make the adjustments, I understand it pretty well now, shouldn't be a problem. I'll find out soon, I hope!

#71 ·
I think I got mine 2-3 days after ordering.. Be sure to let us know what you thing once installed. Since you and I are in "higher" elevations I be curious what you have to report.

#73 ·
I ordered mine off eBay and it came in very fast, 3 days or so best I remember.

Also, I took it on a short 11-12 mile ride after it stopped snowing one night earlier this week. I am very happy with how the machine runs now. Doesn't feel so choked up. It revs free and the throttle response is crisp. The 2R tip is louder than I expected it to be. It's not a slip on pipe loud but def louder than I'll use for checking trail cams and hanging deer stands with. It sounds very good tho. I think it sounds better than my 660 with an hmf. The tone is very deep at certain rpms. For just riding without worrying about noise I give it a thumbs up!

#74 ·
planning on installing tommorow and hopefully testing most of the sunday will let ya guys know how i make out

#75 ·

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#76 ·
Hey guys.

I was really hoping to get some video showing the install and improvements the EHS tuner and 2R tip made but time just wouldn't allow it (those of you with toddlers will understand) So here's my written review...

Install was super easy. Took about 30 minutes for both. Setting the tune was very easy also. Especially after watching KYGRIZZLY's video.

I went for a 2 hour rip afterwards and I can honestly say it makes a difference. Like giving it a can of red bull. It doesn't have wings, but it's definitely more awake.

I chose to mount it next to fuse block under the "hood" as I don't foresee myself changing the tune on a regular basis.

I'm happy with my purchase.

Attachments

#77 ·
Glad u saw improvements!

I rode all this past weekend and on sat weekend before this one, and I'm loving the machine more than ever with the newfound power and throttle response.

Couple guys with 686 machines mounted theirs to the underside of the hood which is the basic area u have urs. They haven't had any issues. I just feel safest having mine under the storage lid. It never gets wet.

#78 ·
How is everyone doing with their tuners these days? Been about a month since anyone has posted thoughts/reviews.

#79 ·
so far so good. Im back to running the stock exhaust tip. tuner is still set for a tip. Runs great.

#80 ·
Im happy with it , since i had it to the dealer and they richened it up a bit , the sputtering was almost all but gone , and with a good pull she pulls the front tires right off the ground easily, we had it last weekend for a good 45 mile ride and she ran great (( now keep in mind the wife is riding it haha)) but when we get to a pit area or some super swampy conditions , she goes good for me

#94 · (Edited)
My dealer just re-mapped my 2016 Grizzly much richer and it runs awesome now!!!!!! I'm talking night and day difference. No more stalling, way cooler exhaust and the popping is almost gone (going to block AIS next to complete that) With an exhaust gas analyzer my dealer richened it to the EPA maximum. What many people dont know is there is a way to unlock the factory ECU and re-map these machines to do just about anything.

Maybe EHS can answer this but I would also buy their tuner if it would give additional performance. Any thoughts? Mine is stock

#81 ·
Did anyone have the stalling issue before the tuner? Did the tuner cure it?

I could bring mine back to the dealer for the stalling but they could have it for weeks trying to figure it out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.