Possible 708 Service Bulletin - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

6Likes
  • 6 Post By SavageGrizzly
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Unread 03-27-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Possible 708 Service Bulletin

So let me start with this is NOT a thread to get into a pissing match about 708 vs 686 or anything like that.
If this turns out to be true it would be nice to see if you hear anything about this as well.

I wanted to relay some information that I read from an individual on a Facebook forum that sounds plausible and I don't have any reason to believe what he is saying is not true. He is a mechanic that works for a Yamaha dealership in Newfoundland, Canada.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some copy paste action from that posting and its replies:

Yamaha is releasing a “service bulletin” that replaces the cyl, piston, gaskets, and updated ring set just waitin in the legal side of it now to be finished up, engineering has a limited stock of kits so far. This is only for people with the oil burning issue and will only be valid for 5 years from date of manufacture

I’ve installed these kits 6 month ago for a few select customers to do field testing for Yamaha

When the kits become available stress to your dealer to get the valve seals replaced with the 2019 seals also as the kits done come with any new seals

Yamaha won’t pay for there replacement so that’s something you can take up with your dealer.

Before talks of the update we were replacing it all with new oem parts. Had some come back still burning oil, really tho what was the good of putting the same garbage back on lol. Now we’re telling everyone to hang off and taking there info to call them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With that all said, maybe they have finally figured out the story behind the smoking 708.

From another user (not the mechanic above) there is the photo attached.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, if it is true hopefully it will bring an end to the smoking 708 threads...

On a side note, my Grizz smokes a little, the Kodiak isnt smoking yet, both are 2018's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bad Cyl Grizz.PNG
Views:	106
Size:	551.4 KB
ID:	79011  
reogem, RansomP, okbear and 3 others like this.

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
26.5" Pit Bill Growler Uber XOR on STI HD7 14x7 Wheels
EPI Purple Spring & Coop Machined Sheave + 0.75mm shim
EHS Fuel Injection Tuner, EHS Airbox Mod, 2R Exhaust
SuperWinch Terra 35
PowerMadd Handguards, Yamaha Front Box, Dual LED's (1-60 deg, 1-30 deg)

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
26" Interco Radial Reptiles on '18 Grizzly SE wheels
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SavageGrizzly For This Useful Post:
Blklab (03-27-2019), okbear (04-05-2019), RansomP (03-27-2019), reogem (03-27-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Unread 03-29-2019, 05:01 PM

Interested to see what comes out of it.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, Pod Mod set to 45, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5 shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
post #3 of 7 Unread 04-04-2019, 06:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGrizzly View Post
So let me start with this is NOT a thread to get into a pissing match about 708 vs 686 or anything like that.
If this turns out to be true it would be nice to see if you hear anything about this as well.

I wanted to relay some information that I read from an individual on a Facebook forum that sounds plausible and I don't have any reason to believe what he is saying is not true. He is a mechanic that works for a Yamaha dealership in Newfoundland, Canada.

Here are some copy paste action from that posting and its replies:

Yamaha is releasing a “service bulletin” that replaces the cyl, piston, gaskets, and updated ring set just waitin in the legal side of it now to be finished up, engineering has a limited stock of kits so far. This is only for people with the oil burning issue and will only be valid for 5 years from date of manufacture

I’ve installed these kits 6 month ago for a few select customers to do field testing for Yamaha

When the kits become available stress to your dealer to get the valve seals replaced with the 2019 seals also as the kits done come with any new seals

Yamaha won’t pay for there replacement so that’s something you can take up with your dealer.

Before talks of the update we were replacing it all with new oem parts. Had some come back still burning oil, really tho what was the good of putting the same garbage back on lol. Now we’re telling everyone to hang off and taking there info to call them.

With that all said, maybe they have finally figured out the story behind the smoking 708.

From another user (not the mechanic above) there is the photo attached.

It will be interesting to see what comes of this, if it is true hopefully it will bring an end to the smoking 708 threads...

On a side note, my Grizz smokes a little, the Kodiak isnt smoking yet, both are 2018's.

I have been inside many 2 stroke race engines through the years. That pic looks like they did not apply enough Nicasal coating to cover the bore imperfection. Then when diamond honed the bore imperfection showed up. This could be fixed with the Nicasal being stripped, Bored over sized .010" to .020" and then re Nicasal'ed and finished Diamond honed back to the Original bore Diameter. In the 2 stroke race engines we have had cylinders welded and bored up to .040" over sized and then nicasal'ed back to the original bore diameter. This has worked flawless for many years like this. If the 708 problem is the bores the only correct way of fixing it is to either fix the cylinder the correct way or to replace the cylinder. And piston/rings.

2017 Grizzly EPS
EHS fuel controller
Wet Slug kit
Machined sheave 3.07 to 1
20g Dr Pulley Greaseless rollers and cam sliders
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
AIS blocked off
ProVantage Warn 2500
Home made Air Filter Fix
Ridgid Rear Box and Basket

Support our Troops
Put your trust in God
The Following User Says Thank You to Zrt1200 For This Useful Post:
rosscopeeko (04-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 01:25 PM

Any new news on this?
post #5 of 7 Unread Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmiller View Post
Any new news on this?

I just PM'ed a guy on Facebook who is a mechanic at a Yamaha Dealership. Right now his dealer is fixing them on a case by case base's. Some are getting a cylinder and piston/rings, Some are getting a new head, and some are getting both. But as of yet there is no Tech Bulletin out. He said its coming and it will be for the 16-18 and will run for 5 years.

2017 Grizzly EPS
EHS fuel controller
Wet Slug kit
Machined sheave 3.07 to 1
20g Dr Pulley Greaseless rollers and cam sliders
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
AIS blocked off
ProVantage Warn 2500
Home made Air Filter Fix
Ridgid Rear Box and Basket

Support our Troops
Put your trust in God
The Following User Says Thank You to Zrt1200 For This Useful Post:
Pjniez (Yesterday)
post #6 of 7 Unread Today, 06:25 AM

That would be great. I shouldn't have this issue with a 2 year old motor. My honda is 35 years old an I think I trust it more than the grizzly.
post #7 of 7 Unread Today, 04:45 PM

Glad Yamaha is stepping up and addressing this!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission