wet brake question ??? - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bausford
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
 
bausford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central,PA
Age: 51
Posts: 51
Thanks: 16
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Garage
wet brake question ???

I have been trying to find out some things about a wet brake... I was going to see if I could adjust the cables on my 09 grizzly 350 because the hand brake was locked up and wouldn't move and the foot brake had nothing not even and resistance, like it was broke, so when starting the task I noticed this (pic).

$#!t . looks like I'll be pulling the diff this winter, gotta at least get some riding time this summer

.. So I investigated a little more and it appears as though the foot brake is not broke and I can't adjust it any more its just that loose. Then move to the hand brake, and it is adjust so far it cant move. so I crank the adjuster out and nothing lever stays where it is and even after trying to push or pull on the lever. it does not move.

Before you ask I do have a service manual, the one from tradebits, and I have looked it over many times and maybe I am missing it but .

When servicing the wet brake I don't see anything on how to position the lever on the splined shaft it just says remove and install. So here is one question I have, if my cables are loose could I remove the bolt in the lever and "re-clock" it so the cables are able to be adjusted properly? Now before we get too far here is my thinking. Some "mechanics" out there who say "who needs a manual... I can adjust brakes" might try and move this lever, trust me I have to explain to the public about working on theirs cars or tricking their trucks out, so I know it can happen. I don't think this lever would need to be removed when replacing the brake pads and shims, looks to me like it could remain in its place. Maybe some one could correct me on this but that's how I see it in the diagrams. It looks like when reassembling you would have the cam plate in, balls behind it, actuated by the stud with the splines on it sticking out of the diff and then install the lever on the splines after installing the diff in the quad and installing the lever so the cables can be adjusted. but if some knucklehead moved the lever maybe my brakes are not shot!!!

Thought maybe the cables are just stretched also but at this point I'm game for any ideas or thoughts.

I have also thought maybe the cables are just stretched, they move in the sleeve, they are not "froze".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190512_131513.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	79745  

'99 Grizzly 600
Stock, 1600 miles



09 grizzly 350 IRS
stock, 4k
bausford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 05-17-2019, 09:34 AM
 
reogem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern WI.
Posts: 6,999
Thanks: 2,870
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,112 Posts
Rep Power: 136
                     
The wet brake lever on the Kodi's have an index mark in the shaft and lever. I don't see this in the 450 manual.
You picture is too blurry to see if it has one.

2019 Kodiak 700 EPS BC blue
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels


(Traded)16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
15300miles
Grezzzless CVT 22g
Stock tires and wheels


Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Wheels


2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
360/120 zombie cut CVT Purple spring
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
reogem is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
bausford (05-17-2019)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-18-2019, 07:37 AM
 
wheelsquad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Central MN
Age: 37
Posts: 1,221
Thanks: 281
Thanked 508 Times in 335 Posts
Rep Power: 96
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by bausford View Post
I have been trying to find out some things about a wet brake... I was going to see if I could adjust the cables on my 09 grizzly 350 because the hand brake was locked up and wouldn't move and the foot brake had nothing not even and resistance, like it was broke, so when starting the task I noticed this (pic).

$#!t . looks like I'll be pulling the diff this winter, gotta at least get some riding time this summer

.. So I investigated a little more and it appears as though the foot brake is not broke and I can't adjust it any more its just that loose. Then move to the hand brake, and it is adjust so far it cant move. so I crank the adjuster out and nothing lever stays where it is and even after trying to push or pull on the lever. it does not move.

Before you ask I do have a service manual, the one from tradebits, and I have looked it over many times and maybe I am missing it but .

When servicing the wet brake I don't see anything on how to position the lever on the splined shaft it just says remove and install. So here is one question I have, if my cables are loose could I remove the bolt in the lever and "re-clock" it so the cables are able to be adjusted properly? Now before we get too far here is my thinking. Some "mechanics" out there who say "who needs a manual... I can adjust brakes" might try and move this lever, trust me I have to explain to the public about working on theirs cars or tricking their trucks out, so I know it can happen. I don't think this lever would need to be removed when replacing the brake pads and shims, looks to me like it could remain in its place. Maybe some one could correct me on this but that's how I see it in the diagrams. It looks like when reassembling you would have the cam plate in, balls behind it, actuated by the stud with the splines on it sticking out of the diff and then install the lever on the splines after installing the diff in the quad and installing the lever so the cables can be adjusted. but if some knucklehead moved the lever maybe my brakes are not shot!!!

Thought maybe the cables are just stretched also but at this point I'm game for any ideas or thoughts.

I have also thought maybe the cables are just stretched, they move in the sleeve, they are not "froze".
What happens when you disconnect the cables from the arm? No rotating whatsoever?

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
wheelsquad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
 
bausford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central,PA
Age: 51
Posts: 51
Thanks: 16
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
You picture is too blurry to see if it has one.
sorry .. it is hard to get a good pic in the chassis... but I got it cleaned off and a better pic taken and I apologize for not doing it first before posting...


The shaft dose have a mark on it, but if you look closely the splines only go 3/4s of the way around were the bolt goes through it is notched for the bolt..... only one spot it can be

sorry for wasting your time. I was just trying to be hopeful in not have to tear it apart for the wet brake service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_201023.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	79781   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190517_201159.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.95 MB
ID:	79783  

'99 Grizzly 600
Stock, 1600 miles



09 grizzly 350 IRS
stock, 4k
bausford is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 08:06 PM
 
reogem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Northern WI.
Posts: 6,999
Thanks: 2,870
Thanked 3,066 Times in 2,112 Posts
Rep Power: 136
                     
Not wasting my time!
Looks like it can't be installed wrong.
If the cables are adjust right not much left.
Pop it open in a logical order and it should be reasonably easy.




Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

2019 Kodiak 700 EPS BC blue
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels


(Traded)16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
15300miles
Grezzzless CVT 22g
Stock tires and wheels


Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Wheels


2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
360/120 zombie cut CVT Purple spring
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
reogem is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to reogem For This Useful Post:
bausford (05-20-2019)
post #6 of 9 Old 05-20-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
 
bausford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central,PA
Age: 51
Posts: 51
Thanks: 16
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Garage
Thanks Reogem. There is a good thread with pics on GC I have found but after he tore it apart the brake wasn't bad so when I get mine apart and get pics, because I'm sure mine is shot and then post them to that thread. Wet brake looks like a diff almost in the way it is set up.... friction material then shim and so on. Just a pain in the arse to have to remove to service.



. wont be right away gotta get some ride time on it !! .. front pads and stem bushings coming wed. . fix them and ride.
reogem likes this.

'99 Grizzly 600
Stock, 1600 miles



09 grizzly 350 IRS
stock, 4k
bausford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to bausford For This Useful Post:
reogem (05-21-2019)
post #7 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 41
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 0
 
this being only a 10 yo bike, I find it hard to believe the wet brake would need service. Based on your description, my first thought is the cable is stretched. It's not uncommon for the cable to be over tightened by someone that doesn't know that the wet brake doesn't bite as hard as disc brakes, and will over adjust to try to get that same instant clamping power.
cheap thing to try, replace the brake cable
CanadianKodiak700 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
 
bausford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central,PA
Age: 51
Posts: 51
Thanks: 16
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianKodiak700 View Post
this being only a 10 yo bike, I find it hard to believe the wet brake would need service. Based on your description, my first thought is the cable is stretched. It's not uncommon for the cable to be over tightened by someone that doesn't know that the wet brake doesn't bite as hard as disc brakes, and will over adjust to try to get that same instant clamping power.
cheap thing to try, replace the brake cable
cables coming tomorrow with the others parts.... (didn't have them listed in original post)..because I thought that at first that's what the problem was. Upon further investigation I found the wear indicator showing otherwise. Nevertheless I will still try the cables and see if I can get it work before tearing into the wet brake service. Might be 10 yrs old but it was a younger guy that had a 37 acre farm to roam on, its got 4K on the odometer, front pads were metal on metal.

'99 Grizzly 600
Stock, 1600 miles



09 grizzly 350 IRS
stock, 4k
bausford is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
 
bausford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Central,PA
Age: 51
Posts: 51
Thanks: 16
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Rep Power: 8
   
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsquad View Post
What happens when you disconnect the cables from the arm? No rotating whatsoever?
none... just the spec for the free play according to the manual.

'99 Grizzly 600
Stock, 1600 miles



09 grizzly 350 IRS
stock, 4k
bausford is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 rear wet brake robertlutz Grizzly Tech Tips 9 01-26-2017 09:25 AM
Brake change question GrizzlyRN Grizzly Engine & Transmission 3 12-04-2016 10:19 AM
1998 grizzly 600, brake caliper question Dewm Grizzly Talk 10 04-30-2016 12:01 PM
660 brake line question Rkcrwlr Grizzly Chassis & Body 5 04-24-2016 07:33 AM
Brake Question CGrizz Off-Topic Discussion 1 09-28-2009 02:56 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome