Fire came out from engine while riding! - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Engine & Transmission Discuss your Grizzly engine and transmission modifications here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrMud

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Fire came out from engine while riding!

Ok I’m going to try to not make this a long story, while still needing your help figuring out what is going on.
Saturday I was at a work day at my deer camp. I went riding to another area that had grown up a whole lot. I was almost in the middle of this cutover to a big water hole, when I heard a loud noise from the engine looked down and flames started coming up on both sides.
I slowed enough then jumped off and the Grizzly stopped about five feet from this water hole. It was locked up and I couldn’t push it, flames and smoke still coming out. I jumped back on the brake and put it in neutral, pushing it into the water. Which is normally up to at least the engine but today being so long since rain was only to the floorboards. I kept splashing water all over it until it was all out.
I noticed there was some long dead grass stuck in the skid plates, but still couldn’t understand why the Grizzly would get hot enough to catch grass on fire like that where it could of blown up with me on it.
Now let me back up......

Recently my last mod was a full HMF Titan series with HMF tuner and I put a cap over the AIS blocking it like Eric shows. Now this mod took me weeks to get back too completing bc I had to go buy more washers and spacers to get the exhaust to fit properly giving my Elka Stage 4 shocks room so they would not hit the exhaust. Because I noticed how tight it was and how damn hot this exhaust was. It seemed extremely hot and I only ran it maybe a tenth of a mile after I installed it. Other than that the installation was fine, except the part where the instructions said to make sure the gasket did not come out of the top of the full exhaust to the motor. Well, I never saw the gasket so knew it did not come out but still thought it was weird how it just bolted onto the front part of the engine metal to metal with two bolts. I thought that was weird and couldn’t see how that was too much protection from things getting in.
So I went online and found the gasket, ordered it, but did not install it, more on this later.
So Friday night I finally completed putting the exhaust on where it was far enough from my shocks and would not move around even though one bolt holding it to the frame. Getting ready for going to the deer camp the next morning. I rode it down the street maybe 1 tenth of a mile and it seemed fine. I let it rest then I checked the oil. Oil shot out at me getting it all over my shirt, shoes, etc. I thought I was a dumbass and it was still too hot but then realized no way it should of squirted out like that. Several mins later being more cooled off, I checked it again and it was fine, levels and all. So didn’t pay much more attention to it, just thinking the exhaust and tuner was running to hot would need some adjustment tomorrow when I could ride it.
Keep in mind I bought the HMF from HMF so the tuner came to proper settings, at least not completely off, but close so then I could adjust myself when I could ride since I have never done it and don’t know how to judge what it good, lean, or not enough, either way up and down my subdivision is not the place to make these adjustments.

Now this brings me back to Saturday after I have splashed water all over my ATV. I got a hold of another member who came to pull me back to my trailer. We were looking at my Grizzly and noticed when I opened the plastic to the oil that the oil dip stick was open and oil was all over the inside of the plastics and down on the skid plate. Realizing the dead dry grass must of caught on fire due to oil on it getting so hot those few seconds I heard the Noise would of been the engine getting so hot and making so much pressure causing that to pop out. The oil seemed a little light brown and milky not as thick possibly.
The Grizzly would crank now and so I turned it around for my friend to pull me but then seemed fine enough to ride a couple hundred yards to my trailer where he was following me back thru these water puddles real slow watching. I could tell though it was very hot again when I made it up on the trailer and smoking some from the spilled oil heating up.
I packed up and came back home to drink beer and watch football really upset about how my day went, all the time I have put into this ATV and how much I love it, but seems to be a lot of trouble. My friend called me saying another member of the camp he had told the story too said it must be a blown head gasket.
Today I took it to the Yamaha dealer telling them the story and I have a warranty but this of course could be bc of mods. They were two weeks backup from even looking at it. I debated and even turned back around and winded up leaving it. I should of written this first and given everyone time to respond so I may go back up there and get it. I like doing all the work myself and I know they will not tell the actual mechanic everything he needs to know to diagnose the real problem. I left it at first thinking this could be something I couldn’t do anyway and definitely need a professional for anyway. Hell I was scared at first I blew up the motor when i thought it was on fire.
What do you all think the problem could be? What would cause the oil to build up so much pressure like that?

2016 Grizzly SE
Elka Stage 4 all around
JBS milled Yamaha Sheave, Wet Clutch Slug Kit, Dr. Pulley OD weights,
OEM camplate sliders, Purple Secondary Spring
Two Extra Sets of Tires Both Sets on 16 inch ITP Hurricane Wheels
26inch Arisun BrusterXT
28inch Zillas
Warn ProVantage 2500S
Yamaha Full Set Skid Plates
HMF Titan Blackout
HMF Tuner
EHS Racing Airbox Mod and AIS Blocked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 09:52 PM

Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,467 Posts

Your Grizzly transformed into a fire breathing dragon.
mainegrizz660 likes this.

YACC MEMBER # 7

2014 Grizzly 550 EPS, Richochet Full Set Skids, Fender Flares, Yamaha front Brush Guard, Moose Rear Bumper, Front and Rear cargo Box, Icom 2980 Ham Radio & 12 volt lithium battery in front box

2015 Grizzly 700 Eps, Warn Winch, Richochet full plate skids, OEM Hand Guards, Rigid Duallies, Fender Flares, ITP rims, 26 Bighorns, 1.5 mm shim (Ridgway Install)

2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS
My Sons: 29.5 laws or 27" Bighorns, SS12 ITP Rims, Richochet Full Set Skids, performance Snorkels, 1.5mm shim, Yamaha Brush Bumper, Moose rear bumper, Epi clutch kit, ATV nerf bars, Warn winch.

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI EPS Yamaha skid plates, Yamaha hand guard, Yamaha Brush bumper, Moose fender flares, ATV Nerf Bars, EPI Clutch Kit, Rigid Duallies, 1mm shim, Moose GPS Finger Grip mount, Garmin GPS, Warn winch, Performance Snorkles, 27" Bighorns, SS12 ITP Platinum rims.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-10-2019, 10:57 PM

Thanked 3,730 Times in 2,358 Posts

Dry grass around the exhaust will catch fire, right Dr. Mud?
The crank case is under high pressure, check to see if the breather hose is kinked.
You got to messing with the A.I.S. and may have affected something else.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM

Garage
Its possible that the tall grass and some sticks caught the dip stick just right and pulled it out. It happened to another member on here a while ago. If the dip stick got pulled out your oil would pump out and all over the plastic & exhuast. Being the dip stick is on the exhaust side right below your hot exhaust I could see how this could catch fire. Add some oil, dry grass & a very hot exhaust system. Poof your up in flames.

In the link post #60 he said his dip stick came out and he could smell oil on his 2018 grizzly.
https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum...-review-4.html

2017 Grizzly EPS
EHS fuel controller
Wet Slug kit
Machined sheave 3.07 to 1
Stock 18g weights
EPI Purple Secondary Spring
AIS blocked off
ProVantage Warn 2500
Home made Air Filter Fix
Ram mount / Garmin Nuvi 52 with Vvmapping SD card

2019 Kodiak 450 SE
Back-Country Blue
Machined sheave + 1/4mm Shim 3.05 to 1
Stock Grizzly 700 Secondary Spring
Stock 18g weights

Traded in 17 Honda Rancher 420 with 930 miles to get 19 Kodiak 450.

Support our Troops
Put your trust in God
post #5 of 8 Old 09-11-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Well thank you but no a stick didn’t make it come out. The night before when I checked the oil it had so much pressure in it, that it sprayed all over me. Nothing has ever happened to me like that before, so something is causing it as the next day I took it out and it came out, plus the look of the oil wasn’t normal.
I’m laying here reading all these terrible stories on this 708 engine again. I haven’t been on this site in a while and hate to see all these just keep adding up. I bought this for reliability or would of bought a CanAm for the power and fun factor.
I don’t know what else it could be. Ridgeway mentioned me messing with the AIS. After all the research I had done, I had never heard of anyone or read any warning on blocking it would cause major issues. Everyone just post how easy it is to do different ways and how it may help a little with the ATV backfiring, so I don’t know if that is a reason or new exhaust and tuner, or what. Something made it so hot and the oil pressure so much it.
I’ve got it at the Yamaha dealer now, but they are two weeks from even being able to look at it, bc one of their main mechanics lost his mind on meth one morning a week ago and shot at six cops with two fully automatic weapons and one is still in critical condition. The dealership told me they were backed up bc of hunting season and one of their mechanics took their own life. Then today I read in the paper they guy arrested worked at that particular dealership as a talented mechanic who was capable to converting semiautomatic to full auto.
Either they have had really bad luck on two mechanics recently or the guy flat out lied to me not wanting to admit the guy trying to shoot cops would be too bad publicity so better to say he committed suicide. Too bad the paper had their dealerships name on the front page as place of employment.
Anyway, I’m tempted to go get my ATV, just because two weeks is long, I didn’t want to leave it anyway, and know whoever works on it isn’t going to understand their notes or put the actual care needed into figuring out the real problem.

2016 Grizzly SE
Elka Stage 4 all around
26inch Arisun BrusterXT
28inch Zillas
Warn ProVantage 2500S
HMF Titan Blackout
HMF Tuner
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Would blocking the AIS and the tuner not being set for this cause the engine to get so hot and oil to build up so much pressure?
Or is the a blown head gasket?

2016 Grizzly SE
Elka Stage 4 all around
26inch Arisun BrusterXT
28inch Zillas
Warn ProVantage 2500S
HMF Titan Blackout
HMF Tuner
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

Probably head gasket If you have water in your oil that is probably it as your cooling system pressure is higher than your engine oil pan/sump

2011 700 Grizzly, Viper winch, Ricochet skids, Yamaha Bumper, RDC Rad Relocate

Proud member of Saskatchewan Hardcore ATV, Queen City Quaders, SATVA, Grizzly Central
post #8 of 8 Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Thanked 3,730 Times in 2,358 Posts

I guess I missed the part about water in the oil.
I was thinking if you messed with any tubes, you may have pinched/twisted/block the breather tube for the high crank-case pressure.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Engine & Transmission

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode