Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

450 and 660 weights in 700

8K views 55 replies 19 participants last post by  twisterf4 
#1 ·
Has anybody tried putting a combo of 450 and 660 weights in the 700 yet. I found a chart someone had posted on the HL forum and the combo adds up to just about what dalton recomends for 26 - 27 tires. I ordered the weights today so Ill be trying it later on this week and reporting back, but I was just wondering if anybody else has attempted using the 660 weights?

#3 ·
Well I did the 450 and 660 weight combo. The biggest thing I noticed is the lag at the bottom of high is pretty much gone, also i can pretty easily pull the front end up in high now with a little tug on the bars. I think it accelerates faster but its hard to tell exactly how much. Ill have to line up with my buddy's 650 brute and see how we do now. He would always take me off the start, but i would be right on his rear bumper the whole way.

#4 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stainlessmag @ Jul 26 2007, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I did the 450 and 660 weight combo. The biggest thing I noticed is the lag at the bottom of high is pretty much gone, also i can pretty easily pull the front end up in high now with a little tug on the bars. I think it accelerates faster but its hard to tell exactly how much. Ill have to line up with my buddy's 650 brute and see how we do now. He would always take me off the start, but i would be right on his rear bumper the whole way.[/b]
That will be good to know. Keep us updated!

Thanks

#5 ·
Well I finally got to really ride it today for the first time since i put the weights in. All I can say is WOW!! I cant believe the difference it made in the snap and throttle response. I found it much easier to get the tires broke loose when trying to slide the back around, when wanting to launch off a jump the extra snap makes it much easier to get the front end up and land correctly. Overall I would defiantly recommend this mod to anyone with 26" tires.

#8 ·
So, basically instead of just the 450 weights, we should really be putting in 4 660 weights as well for 27" and below.

Here's the info from the link above:

Yamaha Grizzly 700 Clutch Weight Modification:

This information has been gathered to help others with their Grizzly 700 clutch weight modifications. It is for reference only and gathers information from a number of sources.

Dalton Industries currently sells a kit for $100 on their website, http://www.daltonindustries.com/atv/YamahaClutchKit.htm . It includes 12 clutch weights, (8) 14.7grams and (4) 17grams. The clutch uses (8) weights total.
As a reference, the stock 700 weights are approximately 18.5 grams each. Stock 660 weights are 17g and stock Kodiak 450 weights are 14g. These weights can be found at your dealer for approximately $3-4 each.
Dalton recommends the following weight changes according to application:

Stock tire size but heavier: (4) 14.7g weights and (4) 18.5g weights (132.8g)
26-27” tire (0-4000’ elevation): (4) 14.7g weights and (4) 17g weights (126.8g)
28” tire: (8) 14.7g weights (117.6g)

It also recommends the 28” setup for 26-27” tires at high elevations.

#9 ·
Thats what I did and I really like it. Just trying something a little differant than the rest cuz it seemed like a good idea. If it helps others than that great. Here are the part numbers I used if anybody was wondering, YAM 5GH-17632-00-00, and, YAM 5KM-17632-00-00

#10 ·
I just added 4 450 weights and 4 660 weights to mine. Made a noticeable difference, especially middle range. Low is improved, but not dramtically. The middle range really responds well now.

Was easy to do following Gearslayers How To. Took about 1.5 hours. Make sure you have a deep well impact socket to get the big nut off the clutch assembly. I had to make a quick run to the tool store for a 22mm Deep Well impact socket. You need an impact wrench, either air or electric. You're not getting that nut off any other way unless you figure out how to keep the clutch from turning. Even an impact took time as the clutch turns some as you go.

As for tools: phillips head, metric sockets, metric hex head sockets or hex keys, channel locks or pliers, small flat head for prying, and grease. I actually had plenty of grease left in my clutch, my ride is still pretty new, so didn't add any yet.

The 450 & 660 weights are essentially a Dalton kit. 4 of each cost maybe $45 from dealer. Cheaper if you order online. My dealer charged over $5 a weight, but online you can get them as low as $3.38 each.

#13 ·
You want to pair them to keep an even balance. I put one 450 on the left and a 660 on the right of each slot.

As for tightening, I don't have a torque impact wrench, but my nut and "drum" had a mark on it from the factory, so I jsut tightened it until they almost lined up. Without some way to stop the assembly from turning, I couldn't get it any tighter, so close enough was good enough for me.

Just had it out this afternoon and really put it to work with no problems. It's nice to have that uuummmph back in the low end and really pulls in the middle range.

#14 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigDaddyTX @ Aug 10 2007, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You want to pair them to keep an even balance. I put one 450 on the left and a 660 on the right of each slot.

As for tightening, I don't have a torque impact wrench, but my nut and "drum" had a mark on it from the factory, so I jsut tightened it until they almost lined up. Without some way to stop the assembly from turning, I couldn't get it any tighter, so close enough was good enough for me.

Just had it out this afternoon and really put it to work with no problems. It's nice to have that uuummmph back in the low end and really pulls in the middle range.[/b]
awesome bigdaddytx thats what i needed to know thanks.

#15 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigDaddyTX @ Aug 10 2007, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just added 4 450 weights and 4 660 weights to mine. Made a noticeable difference, especially middle range. Low is improved, but not dramtically. The middle range really responds well now.

Was easy to do following Gearslayers How To. Took about 1.5 hours. Make sure you have a deep well impact socket to get the big nut off the clutch assembly. I had to make a quick run to the tool store for a 22mm Deep Well impact socket. You need an impact wrench, either air or electric. You're not getting that nut off any other way unless you figure out how to keep the clutch from turning. Even an impact took time as the clutch turns some as you go.

As for tools: phillips head, metric sockets, metric hex head sockets or hex keys, channel locks or pliers, small flat head for prying, and grease. I actually had plenty of grease left in my clutch, my ride is still pretty new, so didn't add any yet.

The 450 & 660 weights are essentially a Dalton kit. 4 of each cost maybe $45 from dealer. Cheaper if you order online. My dealer charged over $5 a weight, but online you can get them as low as $3.38 each.[/b]
Glad to hear that you liked it.

#16 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigDaddyTX @ Aug 10 2007, 08:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The 450 & 660 weights are essentially a Dalton kit. 4 of each cost maybe $45 from dealer. Cheaper if you order online. My dealer charged over $5 a weight, but online you can get them as low as $3.38 each.[/b]
I've looked around, but been unable to find the prices you've mentioned. Would you please post a link to where you found them for $3.38?

Thanks, Jerry

#17 ·
Jaxom or anyone else for that matter, I know you run 25" bighorns. Would you use this mod for them considering they weigh more and actually measure 26"? I just slapped on some 25" 'horns on and really noticed the bottom end death gasp, especially since I was about 8500' ASL and higher.

I love the new shoes but the bottom end act is tired already. Its really noticeable crawling over boulders and fallen trees, unless you make a run at them to get the RPM's up.

#21 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InvizGrizz @ Aug 12 2007, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jaxom or anyone else for that matter, I know you run 25" bighorns. Would you use this mod for them considering they weigh more and actually measure 26"? I just slapped on some 25" 'horns on and really noticed the bottom end death gasp, especially since I was about 8500' ASL and higher.

I love the new shoes but the bottom end act is tired already. Its really noticeable crawling over boulders and fallen trees, unless you make a run at them to get the RPM's up.
[/b]
Inviz, its hard for me to say if this combo or weights would be right for you because I run 26" terras and I'm at only about 2000' ASL, but some combo of weights would definatly show a great benifit. For the price that was found online I would try it and see what you think, at 3-4 dollars a weight you could always try the 450/660 combo and if you feel it was not enough due to your elavation try using just 450 weights.

#24 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InvizGrizz @ Aug 13 2007, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Jaxom, I'll give'em a shot.[/b]
Keep us informed. I have mine on order, 8 of the 450's and 4 of the 660's.
I should have the bases covered that way!

Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.