Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

cooling system part question

11K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  wtoosl 
#1 ·
i have a 2003 grizzly 660
there is a hose that runs from the water pump to where the thermostat housing & upper radiator hose is located. The hose just presses on a nipple and is held in place by a clamp. Somehow the nipple came out and i cant find it. It looks like the nipple is pressed in and not threaded. There isnt a part number & i dont want to purchase an entire head. Any suggestions on where to find this nipple and how to install?

#3 ·
Welcome from Colorado.
I was thinking like above, or on the shield under the engine.
Look on flea bay for a used part.

#4 ·
I doubt you would find that piece anywhere since it's part of the water pump. Part Discounter sells a water pump for the Grizzly 660 but they are out of stock right now. I think I bought the last one in stock, got it 2 days ago. I got it for 39 CDN though. Looks like they jacked up the price. It's identical to OEM, just doesn't have the 5KM markings on it..

#5 ·
@david8017, if you mean the small steel nipple in the photo, that looks exactly like the one that goes in the Grizzly 700. I don't know if it's the same size, but I would bet that it is. If you look at the water pump and engine cover parts diagram on yamaha sports plaza, or any of the others that show the exploded view of the parts for the 2009 grizzly 700, you should find that nipple. It was one of the parts that I bought when I did my stator cover upgrade. The nipple is a really tight press/tap fit. On the 700, it does not go into the water pump. It goes into the engine cover that has a coolant channel going to the water pump. To install it, I used a block of hardwood against the end of the nipple so the end of the nipple did not get damaged. I tapped pretty hard on the wood block with a hammer to drive the nipple in. Check carefully as you go to make sure you get the nipple started in straight.

#6 ·
Housing, Water Pump
5KM-12421-00-00

This is the description and the Yamaha part number for the 2003 660, it's not the whole water pump, just the housing that includes the steel nipple already installed. It's a little over $60.00 on Yamaha Sports Plaza

#7 ·
Pipe, Drain
5D3-1243K-00-00

This is the description and part number for the "nipple" for the 2009 700. It is the water pump drain. It's $3.08 on Yamaha Sports Plaza. If it's the same thing as the 660 part, pretty cheap/easy.

Reactions: Scorpyon
#9 ·
@david8017, I can't seem to find that part. Do you know what the inside diameter of the hose is?

#15 ·
If it's 1/4", I'm pretty sure that's the size of the little press in drain pipe from the 700 that I posted. I bet it's the same thing. Or, @reogem has a solution too.

#13 ·
Looong thread, I forgot you are not looking for the radiator hose diameter.

#14 ·
That pipe is pressed into the thermostat housing part name and #= Cover, Thermostat
5KM-12413-01-00 about $25.00

or
Take the housing off and fab a piece of pipe back into it. You would need to JB weld or solder it.

#18 ·
david8017..
I believe you are correct. Thanks for the correction. My 660 is long gone so I was looking for a detail in the service manual. There really isn't a good detail in the manual not even in the coolant flow diagrams. I did find one that in the cam and valve repair area that has a detail of what could be the pipe. It seems to be in the head pointing vertical above the thermostat housing.

I guess you are back to epoxying a piece of pipe in.

#20 ·
Can't help thinking that if this was the eighties you could take that unit down to the auto spare parts shop & an ol' guy would go "sure we got that, how many do you want?" pipes like that were common on carby manifolds for vacuum, radiators, old car water pumps, stuff like that, tractor repairer's maybe, junk yards, you could search any of these, hope it works out.

#24 ·
if we are talking about the same part, the rod is pressed in the thermostat housing (or the head itself near the thermostat housing). A hose attaches to the rod and runs to the water pump. Obviously, if the rod breaks (like mine did) theres nothing for the hose to clamp onto and coolant cant cycle. The engine will over heat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.