Grizzly or King Quad 2019. - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 06-27-2018, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Grizzly or King Quad 2019.

Im considering a Grizzly or King Quad for 2019. I like a lot of the new features of the king quad, but it sounds like the suspension is very soft from the reviews I watched, that it maybe a deal breaker. However, the new Grizzly went back to the 686, which I like, but I really question the break on the grizzly. Seems like guys can't get more then 500 km's on them before they need to be changed.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 01:59 AM
Just wanna ride!!

Thanked 2,884 Times in 1,726 Posts

Both are great machines. Iíve never heard complaints about brake life on the Griz and am up around 800 miles (sad, I know) on my machine. I hadnít touched my brakes yet but they were squealing a bit on our last ride. With the engine braking on the Griz thereís probably more times I donít use my brakes that do.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Bad A$$ Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skid plates, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom switch dash, Blue Sea 5025 fuse block, Rotopax 4 gallon fuel pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds hand guards, rear flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, AIS block, Halos
https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum...ld-thread.html
post #3 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 06:10 AM

Garage
Like Okbear said, I wouldn't worry too much about the brakes. My '16 has 1,000 miles on it, and it's spent it's whole life, either in thick mud or in the gritty world of taconite mining roads turned into trails in northern MN. I still have lots of life left in them, even though I use them a lot. Have yet to touch them. Hope this helps with your decision:)

-2016 Grizzly
Moose brush guard and 2500# KFI winch, EHS controller, EHS air box mod, 28" Zillas, Coop mod 3 clutch, gold secondary

-1999 Polaris Diesel Sportsman 455
Mud Lites & wheel spacers, Kimpex Outback rear trunk/seat, 2500# KFI winch- SOLD, but still close:)

-2006 Suzuki LTR450
Cylinderworks 474 BB, 12.8:1 piston, PCV, AC Nerfs and grab bar, motorsports bumper, 6" LED bar on handlebars- SOLD!!!!*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 06:20 AM

Garage
Over 2.000 miles on the stock brake pads, still plenty of material left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 Grizzly 700 EPS (YFM700FWAD/YFM70GPXH)
Street legal
ITP SS112
Maxxis Bighorn
EHS filter
EHS EFI controller
Rox foot pegs
Warn ProVantage 2500 winch
Warn synthetic rope
KFI winch cable hook stopper
Acerbis handguards
Rear cargo box
RAM Mount
Garmin nŁvi 550
Kolpin Rhino XL
Ricochet skid plates

+ 2007 Yamaha Raptor 700R SE
post #5 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 04:48 PM

I like the King Quads.
It's when you can compare it directly side-by-side to a Grizzly that you discover the little things that make it seem cheap by comparison. The "bread box" rear hatch, cheap lights vs LED's on the Grizzly, the plastic front end, and just looking at the controls and the gauges it gives me a feeling of cheapness. The engines are strong and the transmissions are excellent. The rear brake system is maintenance free, and the warranty is better than the Yamaha, while the price is lower. If you look those things over and they suit you, you will be happy with the Zuk. I grew up with Yamahas so I had to stick with it. Had many Suzuki motorcycles which are excellent machines.
GEARSLAYER likes this.

2017 Grizzly EPS - the fastest color
post #6 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 05:30 PM

My 2013 has about 8,500 miles on it. Last summer I bought new pads, pulled the wheels, saw how much of the pad was left on the old one, and put the wheels back on. I put the new pads on the shelf and might check them again at 12,000 miles. I wouldn't worry about the rumor about brakes.

MitGSX97
post #7 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 05:54 PM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,401 Posts

Garage
I am not going to try and sway you either way. Both bikes are fantastic and you can't go wrong with either one.

I am just going to get the facts straight on the brakes.

The Grizzly 700 (made since 2007) has never had a premature or quick wearing brake issue reputation. People get thousands of miles between brake replacements. When people did have quick wearing brakes on the 700, it was almost always due to a lack of maintenance

The quick wearing brakes reputation came from the Grizzly 600 and Grizzly 660 models, and that was only from the mud riding crowd. Stay out of the mud and you'll get thousands of miles between changes on these models as well. And that's not opinion. That's facts. Ask the guys on here about it.

On my old Grizzly 600, I could go through a set of front brake pads in a weekend of mud riding. Less than 200 kilometers and they were metal on metal.....when I gave up the mud riding, I never changed a brake pad on that bike after.
On my 660, I have owned it over 6 years. Bought it used and I just changed the front brake pads last fall. And they were not metal on metal, they were just worn out.
The Following User Says Thank You to dezz For This Useful Post:
8yn815 (06-29-2018)
post #8 of 27 Old 06-28-2018, 07:50 PM

I hadn't realized until this thread that the 2019 King Quads are actually updated, the most updates in about 10 years.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
post #9 of 27 Old 06-29-2018, 02:32 AM

Thanked 1,806 Times in 1,401 Posts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsquad View Post
I hadn't realized until this thread that the 2019 King Quads are actually updated, the most updates in about 10 years.
Yup. Basically the King Quad is almost completely new for 2019, with a lot of very significant upgrades.
post #10 of 27 Old 06-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelATV View Post
I like the King Quads.
It's when you can compare it directly side-by-side to a Grizzly that you discover the little things that make it seem cheap by comparison. The "bread box" rear hatch, cheap lights vs LED's on the Grizzly, the plastic front end, and just looking at the controls and the gauges it gives me a feeling of cheapness. The engines are strong and the transmissions are excellent. The rear brake system is maintenance free, and the warranty is better than the Yamaha, while the price is lower. If you look those things over and they suit you, you will be happy with the Zuk. I grew up with Yamahas so I had to stick with it. Had many Suzuki motorcycles which are excellent machines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsquad View Post
I didn't either. The King Quad had a refresh in '17 and I just assumed it was all the same still. My comments were related to the '05 - '18 model year King Quad.

Looks like some good improvements. I'm going to check them out.

2017 Grizzly EPS - the fastest color
post #11 of 27 Old 06-29-2018, 06:23 PM

Garage
I don't know what type of riding the others are doing but I am on my 4th set of pads. I do a lot of mud and water riding. I have been trying to find a set that will stand up. I only had Yamaha pads until it went in for the first service. At that time it was metal on metal. I have just over 800 miles on it.

If you think that was stupid, Just wait until you see what I do next

2017 Grizzly SE Tactical Black
27" Zilla's
Purple spring
HMF Exhaust
HMF Optimizer
Trailblazer ATV Trunk
Heat Demon heated Grips and Thumb Warmer
Rear Fender protectors with foot pegs
Warn 3000lb winch
PowerMadd hand guards
N2Deep Rad Relocate

2017 Grizzly EPS Alpine White
26" Mud Lite's
Mirrors
Kolpin ATV Matrix Seat Rack Bag
Heat Demon heated Grips and Thumb Warmer
post #12 of 27 Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 PM

I love Yamaha and my 2016 grizzly, but the new king for 2019 is sweet looking.
My only concern would be the EPS.
Fishers ATV world did a review video of the ďpress unitsĒ and he said the eps didnít feel as strong as the olde models.
Itís supposed to be stronger.
I want stronger EPS.. I want Polaris (yes it said it. Lol) eps feeling... REAL Power steering. Steer with 2 fingers, steering.
A weaker system than the grizzly has would be unacceptable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2016 Grizzly 700 LE
EHS controller, Custom Exhaust Tip.
26" Bighorn OG's on STI HD Wheels,
Acerbis Uniko Hand-guards, WES rear Seat/Box
post #13 of 27 Old 06-29-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmadman72 View Post
I don't know what type of riding the others are doing but I am on my 4th set of pads. I do a lot of mud and water riding. I have been trying to find a set that will stand up. I only had Yamaha pads until it went in for the first service. At that time it was metal on metal. I have just over 800 miles on it.
If you really are doing a lot of mud riding, you really should get solid brake disks / rotors to save wear on your pads: https://www.race-driven.com/2011-201...ere-duty-pads/ saw just the rotors were available for less $$ on ebay too.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
post #14 of 27 Old 07-07-2018, 10:27 PM

I had a 2014 King. Last year I got a 17 Grizz SE. I was actually trying to buy a King last year, but my dealer only had a 550 and the Grizz SE. When Suzuki took the headlight off, they pissed me off. I have 1300 miles on my Grizz and absolutely no issues. I'm glad I have the 708. I bought it because I had a 16 Wolverine Rspec with the same motor. I have sold the Wolvie because I have so much more fun on the quad and I have worn my wife out. She no longer wants to go. The King was great. The wet rear brake doesn't feel or act as good as the Grizz rear brake, but you will never wear one out. The King has great power and a tad more top end. Suzuki licensed the wet clutch system from Kawasaki and it's a good one. I still think the Yamaha Ultramatic is the best there is. When I need to replace the Grizz, I will go with another King strictly because of Yamaha going back to the old motor. Unless Yamaha puts the new 850 twin in a quad. That would have me running to my dealer...
post #15 of 27 Old 07-15-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmmdad50 View Post
Im considering a Grizzly or King Quad for 2019. I like a lot of the new features of the king quad, but it sounds like the suspension is very soft from the reviews I watched, that it maybe a deal breaker. However, the new Grizzly went back to the 686, which I like, but I really question the break on the grizzly. Seems like guys can't get more then 500 km's on them before they need to be changed.

Any thoughts on which direction I should go?
It's a great predicament to be in, Grizzly or King Quad?
I was in the same position about 9 months ago and though I knew that I always wanted a Grizzly 700, I knew I couldn't ignore the 750 KQ.

Here is my take on both 2018 quads...
The KQ 750 has quieter & smoother engine, has a great seat, has a vertually maintenance free rear brake and can be had for less money and still have a longer warranty. I found that it didn't meet most of my needs and wants.
The Grizzly 708 engine is not as quiet or smooth and maybe the 686 will be better in that respect. From here on I think the grizzly shines. Grizzly has more storage, more user friendly steel racks, a better instrument panel, better headlamps/taillamps, very strong brakes, precise handling, great rider ergos, way better running boards and my seat of the pants riding tells me the grizzly is a smoother all day ride and in rough terrain.

The grizzly engine braking is just right, it won't throw you over the bars but it will hold you back on a hill. Low gear engine braking will hold back a large trailer load of firewood. I've only got 800+ km on my Grizzly right now but that's plowing snow, hauling firewood and I've just returned from a 255 km trip. Not much use I agree but the brakes are not showing any signs of wearing.

You can't go wrong with either of these quads, I'm very happy with my Grizzly.

Last edited by Eastcoastresident; 07-15-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk