2019 grizzly vs 2019 rubicon 500 - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Talk Here we talk about our Grizzlys in general.

14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 10-08-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

2019 grizzly vs 2019 rubicon 500

Looking to buy new quad and these are the 2 I got in mind .. the only thing that make me want to go honda again is I can get their financing to 3% and yamaha is 9 % .... i love my 2009 grizzly but I'm sick of doubling the wife and looking to add another atv in my garage lol. What's ur guys opinion on that new rubicon 500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 PM

Garage
I would say ride them both and see what you think. My experience the Honda is a very reliable quad but not as comfortable and capable on the trails and mud. Not saying it's bad just not as good. It also fits people differently. The Grizzly is more sporty feeling and fits my frame better than the Honda. I am 6 foot and about 235lbs and the Honda just feels like I am slouching a bit and slightly cramped.

Live to ride, ride to live!
post #3 of 43 Old 10-08-2018, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for your input big guy ! I've rode a 01 rubicon and it rode like a wheel barrel haha . But I'm sure 01 to 19 is a huge difference I'll see if yamaha can match honda hehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 04:14 AM
Just wanna ride!!

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,728 Posts

I was a Honda guy for a long time. It was a night and day difference when I rode a Grizzly. Now, we’re talking 07ish models here... I can tell you that Honda is bulllet proof but so is Yamaha. Honda has traditionally been “geared” (see what I did there? lol) toward work where the Griz is a work and play machine. If you look at some of the recent Dirt Trax livestream vids, you’ll find they agree and they get paid to talk good on Honda. I agree with the comments above. Ride both and see what works best for you. You are on a Yamaha site so the opinions here will most likely lean toward Yamaha. But I can tell you that I ride a Yamaha for a reason... Several, in fact.
1- It’s sportier but does work as well as a Honda.
2- Much easier and cheaper to adjust the low end to compensate for larger, heavier tires.
3- Yamaha reliability. (This one is equal to Honda IMO.)
4- Easier to work on / maintain. (Again, I’m going off my old 07 Rubi. It was a pain in the azzzz. Cartridge oil filter and TWO drain plugs!!!)
5- Looks. The Griz wins in this catagory IMO.
7- We have the better forum by far!! Spend a month over there and here and see who is more helpful without any BS. (Disclaimer- We can’t be held liable for the dent in your bank account that this forum has been known to cause. We love mods!!!!)
8- CVT transmission. The Yamaha CVT simply can’t be beat and we can tell you simple and cheap ways to mod it with no loss in reliability.
9- Comfort. The Griz has the most comfortable seat I have been on. That’s important if you’re putting in a ton of miles in a day. Eventually, you’re going to sit down and you don’t want it to feel like concrete when you do!
If I were buying new today, it would be a 2019 EPS Griz. If I were buying used, it would be a clean 14, 15 or 17+. Hands down, no discussion! I wouldn’t necessarily avoid an 16 but I’d make dang sure the decompression spring update had been done and that the air intake was clean. These were just growing pains with the new 708 motor and new air filter setup.

-2014 Grizzly 700 EPS, Bad A$$ Camo
26" Bighorn OG's, ITP Black Ops SD Beadlocks, Garmin Dakota 20 with Ram Mount, KFI SE 3500 Stealth Winch, Midland GXT5000 2-ways, Heat Demon dual zone, Wes Industries trunk, Full Ricochet skid plates, Moose 2" receiver, 12" combo light bar, whiskeymike custom switch dash, Blue Sea 5025 fuse block, Rotopax 4 gallon fuel pack, Water Wetter, Purple spring, Powermadds hand guards, rear flood cubes, 1.7mm shim, Uni air filter, Rock lights, Gold Plugs, Rox Risers, AIS block, Halos
https://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum...ld-thread.html

Last edited by okbear; 10-09-2018 at 04:27 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to okbear For This Useful Post:
2wheelATV (10-25-2018), Chuggy500 (12-18-2018), Stargate (10-11-2018)
post #5 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Thanked 1,808 Times in 1,402 Posts

Garage
This is somewhat a tough call in my opinion. The Honda Rubicon is the ONLY Honda ATV that I would consider purchasing in Honda's complete lineup.

In 2015, Honda released a completely new Rubicon 500. It was the most significant model release Honda has done in decades, again in my opinion. You really can't compare it against anything else in Honda's lineup before or since. It's simply a great ATV with IRS and front diff lock.

Now would I consider the Rubicon over the Grizzly 700? I doubt it.

But like others have said, try them both and pick what suits you. Both are great ATV's that will give you years of service. You really can't go wrong with either choice.
post #6 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 06:13 AM

@Steffy which Rubicon are you considering, the DCT or the footshift? I have a few things to say but will hold off until you narrow that down.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
post #7 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 10:59 AM

My brother has a 2015 Honda Rubicon with the electronic auto shift that he is selling. I rode it before I bought my Grizzly. I rode it a few times and had fun. I actually liked the way it felt and handled. I haven't ridden it since I bought my 2017 Grizzly though.

From what I've heard from talking to people and read online, I believe Honda is the most reliable machine you could possibly buy. Yamaha is right up there with Honda too. I think since the Honda has gears instead of a CVT, it would be a great work machine, primarily, and an OK trail rider second. If I had a farm and needed it for a working machine or needed hauling things around, I think the Honda Rubicon would be great.

But, this is what I didn't like:
1) The transmission shifted abruptly (more noticeable from 1st to 2nd to 3rd (especially when it was cold). This is also the primary reason why my sister-in-law didn't like it and why my brother is selling it.
2) In auto mode, the transmission shifted to a higher gear too early for me and I wasn't able to stay in the powerband as long as I wanted for the "spirited" type of riding that I do.
3) Not enough power for me. Enough said.
4) It is difficult to go into reverse. Going into reverse is a bit wonky. However, I am sure if I rode it more, I could get used to it.

Hope this helps!

2017 Grizzly 700 EPS (Blue)
Purchased used
Heated Demon Grips/Thumb warmers
Warn ProvaVantage 2500
Yamaha Front Brush Guard
Yamaha Glide Plate
Yamaha A-Arm Skids
Pit Bull Growler UBER XOR
STI HD Beadlock wheels
EHS Fuel Controller
EHS modified lower airbox w/ Uni Filter
Dimension2 Fender Extensions
Yamaha Rear Cargo Box
Cyclops LED 3600 Lumen Bulb
JBS AIS block-off plate kit
Gold EPI Secondary Spring
Coop45 Mod3 primary
PowerMadd Sentinel Handguard w/ Flare
Rox Risers and Handlebar kit
Rigid Industries 6" SR-Series Pro w/ Driving LEDs
post #8 of 43 Old 10-09-2018, 11:20 AM
"Respect my authoratah"

Thanked 2,181 Times in 1,237 Posts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffy View Post
I love my 2009 grizzly but I'm sick of doubling the wife and looking to add another atv in my garage lol. What's ur guys opinion on that new rubicon 500
Have you considered looking at the 2019 Kodiak 700 EPS as well? Has a slightly smaller footprint and better turning radius than the Grizzly so it might suit her better than a Grizzly.

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | HMF Swamp Slip-on | Koso AFR Meter | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter
post #9 of 43 Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM

I just did this same research 3 months ago and landed on a 2018 Grizzly eps SE. Deciding factor for me was diff locker. Honda has limited slip in both diffs and grizz has a front locker. (which has saved the day once already)
post #10 of 43 Old 10-10-2018, 04:59 PM

The 708cc has been flawless btw. Plenty of power and mine uses zero oil. I've seen folks on here saying oil consumption was an issue.
post #11 of 43 Old 10-10-2018, 05:23 PM

Thanked 3,058 Times in 2,108 Posts

Hey...Steffy...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

First off this is a Yamaha forum...??

If you wife is smaller, 5'-6" or less the Kodiak is the machine she will want. It is built on a frame similar in size to the 2013 Griz. They are about 3" shorter in seat height. The Kodi's are great stable machines. Easy to drive and shift. The diff lock is available but not really needed, except in very deep mud. Save the cash and buy a winch you need a winch anyway.

A friend bought a Hondo for his self and his wife. He complained that it always seemed to be searching for the right gear. The reverse lock out is like a "Bar Puzzle". His wife had small hands so she had to use both hands to get it into reverse. Their auto tranny is prone to electric gremlins. The computer pops up a change oil light every 600 miles.

We have 2 Kodi's. Change the roller weights to 20g weight makes them like a "Sporter-ized" Grizzlies.

Twin sister 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
Grezzzless CVT 22g
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
360/120 CVT
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
post #12 of 43 Old 10-10-2018, 06:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Looking to buy new quad and these are the 2 I got in mind .. the only thing that make me want to go honda again is I can get their financing to 3% and yamaha is 9 % .... i love my 2009 grizzly but I'm sick of doubling the wife and looking to add another atv in my garage lol. What's ur guys opinion on that new rubicon 500
Forget the Yamaha financing. My Yamaha dealer put me in local Credit Union financing and I'm in the 3's for a rate on my 2018 Griz. There are many banks and Credit Unions that have Powersport/ Motorcycle financing. Check with your dealer!

On the Machines, I agree with Dirt Trax Online that Honda is a very reliable vehicle, equal to Yamaha IMHO, but they don't innovate as much as Yamaha (Yamaha is slow enough as is, LOL). On the spec sheet they are similar but not as capable as the Griz. Of course, I'm bias (see picture included) so take it with a grain of salt!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180524_190929.jpg
Views:	864
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	76419  

•2018 Grizzly 700 EPS in Blue•
MSA 'M33 Clutch' Wheels 12" with matching Blue MSA center cap star.
Maxxis Bighorn 3.0 tires 26" (For 2018 I ran Maxxis Vipr tires).
Fasst Flexx Handlebars/ Rox 5" Riser/ Rox gauge pod relocate.
Moose Prospector Front Trunk (Installed on the rear rack).
RotoPax 2 Gal Gas installed on the Moose Prospector.
Warn ProVantage 2500-S With Synthetic Rope.
Warn ProVantage Hawse Fairlead #94243.
Factor55 ProLink XTV Shackle Mount.
Elka Stage 3 Shocks all around.
Line-X Front and Rear rack.
Yamaha Handguards.
post #13 of 43 Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 AM

I was a Honda guy also and was deciding on either the 500 Rubicon deluxe or the 700 grizzly se, I went with the Grizzly only because the price was abit cheaper and Yamaha service was more closer to my home, both bikes are very nice and the ride I found was close with Yamaha being abit more comfy, one thing that stuck out and noticed right away is the Grizz is much louder to ride than the Rubicon also you will find the Rubicon is very good on fuel compared to the Grizz, I am very happy with my Grizz and have a great Yamaha service shop close to home which was the deciding factor on why I went with Yamaha in the end.

2016 700 Grizzly SE 26" HTR Bear Claws, dual heat demon warmers, factory aluminum skid plates, Ropak fuel pack, hand guards with mirrors, Coops machined sheave and purple spring, rear seat with storage, rear Yamaha bumper 3000lb warn winch, kimpex gen 2 front bumper, kimpex 7" led lightbar EHS fuel controller .5mm shim exhaust mod Highlifter rear springs
The Following User Says Thank You to griz7 For This Useful Post:
Pjniez (10-11-2018)
post #14 of 43 Old 10-11-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
First, I agree with Reogem on the size and to consider the Kodiak 70 as well, and if you are even considering a Rubicon (which is only 475cc and 28hp), might as well throw the new Kodiak 450 into the mix as it actually stacks up most similar to the Rubicon.

Quote:
Well thanks for your input big guy ! I've rode a 01 rubicon and it rode like a wheel barrel haha . But I'm sure 01 to 19 is a huge difference I'll see if yamaha can match honda hehe
Huge difference is correct. The -01-’04 Rubicons were SRA and full time 4x4 with hydrostatic tranny only, carb’d. The ’05-’14 added 2x4/4x4 switch. The ‘15+ are the EFI, DCT/footshift, diff-lock, IRS, brand new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjniez View Post
My brother has a 2015 Honda Rubicon with the electronic auto shift that he is selling. I rode it before I bought my Grizzly. I rode it a few times and had fun. I actually liked the way it felt and handled. I haven't ridden it since I bought my 2017 Grizzly though.

From what I've heard from talking to people and read online, I believe Honda is the most reliable machine you could possibly buy. Yamaha is right up there with Honda too. I think since the Honda has gears instead of a CVT, it would be a great work machine, primarily, and an OK trail rider second. If I had a farm and needed it for a working machine or needed hauling things around, I think the Honda Rubicon would be great.

But, this is what I didn't like:
1) The transmission shifted abruptly (more noticeable from 1st to 2nd to 3rd (especially when it was cold). This is also the primary reason why my sister-in-law didn't like it and why my brother is selling it.
2) In auto mode, the transmission shifted to a higher gear too early for me and I wasn't able to stay in the powerband as long as I wanted for the "spirited" type of riding that I do.
3) Not enough power for me. Enough said.
4) It is difficult to go into reverse. Going into reverse is a bit wonky. However, I am sure if I rode it more, I could get used to it.

Hope this helps!
1) Abrupt shifting in the DCT Rubicon, yes. But not for the footshift model.
4) For the reverse being wonky, I make comment to that below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1CK78 View Post
I just did this same research 3 months ago and landed on a 2018 Grizzly eps SE. Deciding factor for me was diff locker. Honda has limited slip in both diffs and grizz has a front locker. (which has saved the day once already)
The Honda actually has a locked rear diff just like Yamaha, and the 2015+ Rubicon has front diff-lock as well. Their switch is actually nicer and takes one less hand action than Yamaha’s diff-lock switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz7 View Post
you will find the Rubicon is very good on fuel compared to the Grizz
Yep, can hold the Honda's in a high gear ratio for cruising and sip the fuel if you want. Grizz's can have heavier primary rollers put in to help with this, but can't match the low rpm of the Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Hey...Steffy...Welcome to GC from Wisconsin.

First off this is a Yamaha forum...??

If you wife is smaller, 5'-6" or less the Kodiak is the machine she will want. It is built on a frame similar in size to the 2013 Griz. They are about 3" shorter in seat height. The Kodi's are great stable machines. Easy to drive and shift. The diff lock is available but not really needed, except in very deep mud. Save the cash and buy a winch you need a winch anyway.

A friend bought a Hondo for his self and his wife. He complained that it always seemed to be searching for the right gear. The reverse lock out is like a "Bar Puzzle". His wife had small hands so she had to use both hands to get it into reverse. Their auto tranny is prone to electric gremlins. The computer pops up a change oil light every 600 miles.

We have 2 Kodi's. Change the roller weights to 20g weight makes them like a "Sporter-ized" Grizzlies.
I currently have more Honda’s in the family than we do Yamaha’s, and have no problem in the Honda forum laying out the facts about how great the Grizz’s and Kodiak’s are.

The Honda reverse being tricky is a non-issue though. Every Honda we own has the override done on it, and even with that you still can’t shift it into R until you are stopped anyway. The override is done simply by putting a zip-tie between the perch and R lever around the inner cable.

Also, the electrical gremlins that reogem mentioned are true. But they are not super common for the DCT’s, and keep in mind that ONLY applies to the DCT Rubicon’s. Everyone not familiar with the Honda lineup tends to forget they have a traditional footshift transmission available in the Rubicon. That is actually the base model and includes EPS. But footshift is not the way of the industry anymore, though you could argue that with the footshift transmission you get even more reliability than a Yamaha Ultramatic. The footshift Rubicon still has IRS, EPS, EFI, diff-lock, etc.

I didn't make this post to try to convince one way or the other. If I were in steffy's shoes, I would go for one of the Kodiak's. But I did feel it would be fair to set some facts straight about the Rubicon.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family

Last edited by wheelsquad; 10-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wheelsquad For This Useful Post:
it400 (10-11-2018), monksblood (10-11-2018), okbear (10-11-2018), reogem (10-18-2018), Vincent (10-11-2018)
post #15 of 43 Old 10-25-2018, 11:25 AM

If your credit will get you approved at 3% from Honda, then your credit will get you approved at 3% from a lender that finances Yamahas.

2017 Grizzly EPS - the fastest color

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Talk

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode