Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

Elka stage 3 installed

7K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Parks450 
#1 ·
I have to say even with all the positive reviews of the elkas I was skeptical. Well I installed them today and must say... holy crap I cant believe I didnt do this before. The difference is night and day and I havent hit the trails yet. My grizzly rode extrmeely stiff and I'm 225 and it didnt make any difference. My lower back would be very sore after every ride from the jarring and bouncing. Even with my wife on it, it rode very hard.

Thanks to ziechman on here I got them for a steal and they came exactly as described in near perfect shape. Cant wait to try them out next week. Plans are to send the clutch off as well to coop for the clutch sheave, then the ehs big 3 kit.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
*Jealous*!!

#4 ·
Lol probably. They need a new suspension I think. My last grizzly 660 rode very hard To. I know my tires dont help but I've rode many can-am and Polaris ATV and there ride is amazing compared. Some though are way to soft that I have been on.

#6 ·
Thank you, much appreciated. Whatever reason there upright on my phone but when I load them they are sideways or upside down lol.

#7 ·
Nice

#8 ·
Elka envy here!

Reactions: Zrt1200 and okbear
#9 ·
Very nice indeed.

Fwiw

I can believe how much rougher my buddies 2009 700 (shocks turned all the way down) rides compared to my 09 550 SE ..... The difference is very noticible. Weird

#10 ·
Yea I'm not sure what it is. My buddies 2014 700 rides alot better (softer) than mine. His dad has a 2014 also and it rides like mine. All of them were adjusted to the softest spring setting

#13 ·
My 2012 had a very stiff ride too. It seemed to get worse over the first 2K miles. I lusted (and still do sometimes) for Elkas but I bought a used set of shocks for cheap from a low mileage 2010 700 on Ebay and now it's much smoother. The suspension doesn't pack up like it did with the original overdamped stock shocks mine came with.

#12 ·
Yamaha’s shocks are better and more durable than stock Fox...especially those out of a canam...ask me how I know...

#14 ·
I got these for a steal so I couldn't pass them up. I could probably never come to spend $1500 on shocks.

#15 ·
I will be honest, all last year I dreamed of Elka's, this spring I lucked out and got an extra couple grand on my annual bonus because we did real well in 2018. So I decided to go for it otherwise I would still be rolling on stock shocks. It is so hard to justify the cost sometimes.

#16 ·
Yes it is. It's a lot of coin to drop at once, Especially when they dont increase the value much of your ATV and there value drops like 50%as soon as there put of the package.

#19 ·
Whaaaaa!?? With the Elkas?! I’d have bought them.

Reactions: Parks450
#20 ·
I believe next spring i am going to purchase a set of Elka Stage 3's.

I hope they are a MUCH better ride than the stocker's....I am not complaining about the stock shock's, but for the price they had better be a SIGNIFICANT difference.

I have 4500+ miles on my machine and it still going strong...I expect to get well over 10k, so i would think the Elka's would be a good purchase.

Reactions: Parks450 and okbear
#22 ·
My 2009 550 rode like a couch. I bought Elka stage 1's for it anyways, but I wasn't happy with them, so I sold them.

My 2016 Grizzly rode much stiffer. I didn't care for that machine.

I just bought a used 2014 Grizzly. I haven't ridden it yet because it needs knuckle bushings, but I hope it rides like my 2009!

#23 ·
New

Yessir, ended up getting a 2017 renegade 1000. Added a winch, tuner, muzzy dual exhaust, and rear rack already. Next is a cv tech primary.

Attachments

#24 ·
You wont regret them. I'd try to find a good used set first, but either way well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.