Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

2" Reciever Hitch

13K views 46 replies 21 participants last post by  fewiiksa 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just Bought a new trailer to tow my Grizz around in. But I will need to tow the trailer to the back yard for winter storage, and need to use the grizz to do it.

What is the best 2" Reciever Hitch to buy?
Both for quality and price.

Regards,

Jody

#3 · (Edited)
I have the Moose 2" receiver. I think about 50 bucks on eBay the last time I looked. Good quality. I pull a 16' trailer in and out of my back yard with the Griz to avoid destroying my front yard with my pickup truck.

#5 ·
Never had an issue with genuine Yamaha on my Grizzly's.

#7 ·
imo, you will get the same thing for cheaper if you build your own, or drop your quad off at your local fabricator with one of those hitch adapters from harbor freight.... but beyond that as long as it ties into the frame, aka isnt one of these:

...you will be fine. get whatever is most affordable. i wouldnt pay more for the yamaha oem in my opinion.

#10 ·
I got mine from e-trailer dot com. I chose it because it attaches to the tongue on the Grizzly AND the frame. I've towed and tugged with this receiver and it's a solid as any receiver could be!

I won't even look at anything else.

#17 · (Edited)
I got mine from e-trailer dot com. I chose it because it attaches to the tongue on the Grizzly AND the frame. I've towed and tugged with this receiver and it's a solid as any receiver could be!

I won't even look at anything else.
This looks like the best one so far. But they kind of cheaped out on the welding rod when they used tack welds instead of wrapping it with a full fillet.

Reactions: Grumpy
#12 ·
Thanks for the input guys.....
Kinda leaning towards this one

#22 ·
I have both the moose 2" receivier and now the one in this picture. The moose is very stout but it is also a bit more difficult to get installed/removed and also makes it more difficult to change gear oil on the rear diff. I am happy with my receiver that you have in the picture... pretty much a Yamaha knock-off.

I know you specifically asked about 2 inch receiver hitches, but if all you're doing is towing your trailer unloaded in your yard a couple times a year, can't you just put a ball in the OEM hitch and call it good??

I'm right with the other guys on their receiver recommendations especially if you're going to be using it for work and loading the trailer. Bit for what purposes you stated I'm wondering why you would bother with the cost of a receiver. Other than it just being nicer to have.
Just to throw this out there and not sure if it really applies to the OP, but just in case someone else is reading... I have read of multiple instances where the OEM ball holder has snapped when using that as an extraction point. Yes, this is not using it as light trailer towing, but many have recommended going with something more stout in the event you want to extract with that location too. So, I have the 2" receiver in the pic above and also bought a cheap harbor freight 2" hitch with with shackle end which lives on my Grizzly during trail riding. Makes for a very convenient rear extraction point which is very stout. The shackle piece did rattle A LOT so I drilled a hole in the top of the receiver and tapped it for a bolt. Now, the shackle fits in and the bolt tightened, no more rattling.

#15 ·
Fully loaded, sure, you are right. I want a to put a convert-a-ball on our Grizzly so I can use all 3 ball sizes, even a 2-5/16". Not to haul that trailer fully loaded but sometime I just need to move an empty trailer around in the yard or out of the shop and using the Grizzly would make that a quick and easy task versus using the pickup.

#16 ·
Beware that the closer the ball is to the Grizzly that it can affect the trailer jack usability.

If you must crank the trailer tongue up or down, the crank handle might be too close.

Reactions: Bearsixty7
#18 ·
that said, the farther away the ball is from the grizzly, the more leverage it will put on the fulcrum, aka where ti mounts to the griz.

#21 ·
I know you specifically asked about 2 inch receiver hitches, but if all you're doing is towing your trailer unloaded in your yard a couple times a year, can't you just put a ball in the OEM hitch and call it good??

I'm right with the other guys on their receiver recommendations especially if you're going to be using it for work and loading the trailer. Bit for what purposes you stated I'm wondering why you would bother with the cost of a receiver. Other than it just being nicer to have.

#23 ·
that is a good point. if all he is doing is moving an empty trailer back and forth across the lawn a few times a year,and it isnt a huge trailer, the oem hitch with a ball would be fine. anything more than that, and i wouldnt trust it.

the other advantage for a 2" reciever is that you can have a coupler with no ball that you can continue to use to haul around pin style trailers without needing to unbolt the ball everytime you switch uses.

#25 ·
they arent just tack welds. they are short welds that just dont go the whole legnth of the joint. regardless. even if they are tack welds, it wont be the weak part of the design... the weak point is the 700lb vehicle that it is attached to. there is no way those welds are failing with anything that doesnt bend the frame of the grizzly it is attached to, or have the front end of the grizzly a foot in the air, with the shocks bottomed out.

im not saying that is the one to get... i just think it is silly to say that the welds have any bearing on how it will perform.

#26 ·
We'll have to agree to disagree, I have to get back to my welding booth...

Reactions: okbear
#27 · (Edited)
nice... i see what you did there.

welding as your day job has nothing to do with it. a simple understanding of physics is all you really need to know.

but what do i know. i have to get back to my engineering day job.

Reactions: okbear
#28 ·
Welding engineer by day, brain surgeon by night. I sometimes fill in as a Gynecologist on the weekends, when I'm not riding my Griz.

#29 ·
:rating10: :rofl:

#35 ·
Thanks for all the input guys. I purchased a 7x16 enclosed trailer.
think I will get the one in the picture I posted eariler

#38 ·
I like the design of the receiver in question, and think I will build by own. Its handy to use the same common 2" inserts that fit most pickups. Im glad I found this thread, and thanks for the detailed pictures.

I think the stitch welding on the hitch is more than adequate. I also have a weekend day job in gynecology, and welding, bring your mom and we can discuss the discharge... Of filler metals. By night I teach a course on running beads, the adult toy not welding variety. Mom can stick around for that too, while you repair the porosity in the other hitch posted.

#39 ·
I like the design of the receiver in question, and think I will build by own. Its handy to use the same common 2" inserts that fit most pickups. Im glad I found this thread, and thanks for the detailed pictures.
there are a few different options to get a cheap 2" reciever to start with. here is the thread that gave me an idea...
http://www.grizzlycentral.com/forum/grizzly-talk/39938-cheap-easy-homemade-receiver-hitch.html

i think the receiver was 6 or 7 bucks. the u bolts another 4?

something i ended up adding was a set bolt to keep the hitch from rattling in the receiver. basically i drilled a hole for a 3/8 bolt in the receiver, then welded on a nut. this way i can clamp down on the coupler so it doesnt bounce around in the receiver.

Reactions: Switch
#42 ·
no problem. do note that the version where it is inside the frame is for the 660. for the 700 you are going to be really hard up to clear any type of angle on the inside of the frame.

#41 ·
Although quite difficult to see, this is what happens under extreme pulling with a 2" receiver. The bolts holding the original hitch (which i've broke before) sheared and only the small, channel-like piece was left holding. The U-bolts need to be tight around the frame to take up spread some of the load

Held up to 5 years of abuse from pulling the groomer (and stopping dead by hitting stumps, trees, or dirt), logging (including the occasional leave 6 or more feet of slack and pin it), pulling trailers, bikes, etc.

Keep an eye out for your hitch bolts incase they break. Probably less than 1% of users will ever break the hitch bolts with the receiver attached.

Attachments

Reactions: TiccyTac
#43 ·
Warning, the 2016 grizzly takes a different 2 inch receiver than previous grizzlys. Different mounting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.