Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum banner

THE "POD MOD" SETTINGS THREAD

78K views 124 replies 69 participants last post by  GunRunner 
#1 ·

WHEN LISTING YOUR SETTINGS, PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:

POD SETTING: (Include your current POD Setting)

MODS: (List all Modifications to your machine that effect performance. This includes, exhaust, air box/filter, fuel controller, Tires w/size, and etc..)

COMMENTS: (A paragraph or comments on your findings)</span>

[/b]

#52 ·
Been playing with pod settings all weekend. Have a four gas analyzer and can not get it to tune correctly. I have a 700 with a K&N filter and with a setting of 45 I can lift the front tires off the ground,but at around 15 mph and the throttle constant it wants to studder.I have tried very setting from 0 to 125 and can not get the studder out. I also have a PCIII and never could get it to tune correctly, so I took it out and am trying the pod. I am wondering if I up my TPS to 18 to see what happens. Any other suggestions????

#53 ·
Just installed pod mod, UNI filter with hanger mod and 2" tip on my '08. Only tested a little bit so far, but definitely makes more low and midrange. A buddy has same machine, stock, and rode mine. Came back with a smile and wants details on what I did. Oh yeah, pod setting is currently 50. I haven't checked the plug or tried any other settings yet. Seems to idle better and hasn't died at all from throttle stabs like it did a few times before.

#56 ·
Got 1.5" snorkels, HMF Utility Series, with my Pod set at 45-47, the spark plug is coco/brown colored. You wont know the true settings until you do plug chops an get it right on it. Good Luck!

#58 ·
I've read quite a bit on the pod mod in the last four years. Never planed on doing it because I wanted to run a fuel controller with a/f reader when I got a 700. For one thing randomly pulling your plug out and thinking it will tell you if you are lean or rich at all the different throttle positions and rpms ain't going to happen. Plug chops maybe. The only true way is with a a/f meter. I think with a LM-1 that a guy could set his fuel thru the pod just as well as with any fuel programmer. Yamaha doesn't want you to have that kind of control for emission reasons and the people who sell fuel programmers sure don't want to advertise the fact you don't need their product.

#66 ·
I've been waiting for you to show up with that 25% stuff you tell everyone:icon_ goofy:
Guess what, you can adjust 100% of the fuel curve at all throttle openings and all rpms. You can also advance and retard your timing thru the pod.
Maybe there should be a distinction made between the old Pod Mod which is some crude, minor, potentialy unsafe adjustments made in the first 25% of the fuel range by guys who pull the plug out at the end of the day and think the color tells them something AND Advanced Pod Modding where the entire fuel curve is changed by a guy who uses a A/F reading instrument to make accurate and safe adjustments.

Fuel amount can be adjusted in the following four ranges thru the Pod codes. Flat out dangerous to the engine and exhaust system if you don't use a A/F reading instrument to avoid lean conditions.
Code C1: Fuel amount injected at 25% or less of the throttle opening and at 3000 RPM or less engine speed.
Code C2: Fuel amount injected at 25% or less of throttle opening and at 3000 RPM or more engine speed.
Code C3: Fuel amount injected at 25% to 90% of throttle opening.
Code C4: Fuel amount injected at 90% or more of throttle opening.

#60 ·
Hey where can I get the "Pod Mod" it was on E-Bay but now it's not there I have an 07 700 and want more lowend torque can you guys help?

thanks!

#68 ·
I have it printed on paper so I can't copy and paste. The guy who wrote this has a 2007, you have a 2008. Is doing the pod mod on the those two years the same or does the 2008 require rewiring? Just like you I thought you could only adjust the 1st 25% but this guy set his fuel 100% using a A/F reader to make sure he didn't screw up and lean it out. I have a 09 and I heard they changed the C to a D, not that it matters I don't think but I never tried to do the podmod. I'll write out the instructions later. I don't know why the guy would go thru the work of writing out this paper with instructions if it didn't work on his 07 but who knows. Are you going to try to get to C2-3-4 and tell me if it works?

#69 · (Edited)
I have been trying to read through all the Pod Mod threads to figure out what the heck it is and how to do it, but there is no one good place to get the information.

Also, on my 2011 model, the procedure I found for accesstine the menus didn't even work. Holding mode+select got me into diag mode, but then I had to hold mode+select again to get in to the menus that showed "D" values (no "C" values to be found).

From there, I saw maybe 20 or so different "D" values, but have no idea how to edit them. I have been searching the factory service manual, but even that does not list any information about this stuff (which I find very strange). It lists (beginning section 9-36) what all the "D" values mean, but it sort of implies they are for diagnostics of various system sensors and functions only.

Here is an excerpt (attachments)...

Does anyone have the proper procedure for a late model machine?

Attachments

#92 · (Edited)
Here was my post...Not sure if the attachments will show in the quote or not. Perhaps I just don't have the proper steps? If someone can provide them, I will be glad to tune my little heart out.

#71 ·
Well good then you can try to access C2,C3 and C4. I'm only going to give the instructions as far as getting those Cs to pop up on the screen. If you can see those I have instruction to change the fuel delivery in all those. I also have the instructions to advance or retard timing so that a guy can completly tune the atv to whatever mods he has if he has a A/F reader to do it right. If this info is true than the Grizz pod is a PC5, VDI and Dynatek all rolled into one, waiting for a guy with a A/F reader to reprogram it. If it can't be done than this guy who wrote this sure spent a lot of time writing some fiction. Let me know if you get in and I'll write all the rest of the instructions.

Transfer to adjustment mode:
While holding down both the "Reset" and "Select" buttons on the meter, turn on the key.
"C0" appears in the left of the area for displaying time and distance.
1) Press both reset and select buttons at the same time. The display changes from C0 to C1. Each time the select button is pressed in this state, the display changes to C2, C3, C4 and again to C1 and so forth. Each time the the reset button is is pressed, the display goes back to the previous setting.
Turn the key off to exit without changing anything:icon_ goofy:

#72 ·
Yea same instructions I have from 08. Will be working on bike tom so will let know pretty sure couldn't get into the c-2, c-4.

#75 ·
Anyone got input on the late model grizz? I am not even sure if this pod mod is possible anymore?

#77 ·
Same what? Did you get C2 C3 and C4 to come up? I just meant it's the same procedure to start. People have just been doing the C1 adjustments to run these filter and exhaust tips. Nobody has posted up about adjusting in the last 75% of throttle range. If you aren't going to try to see if they pop up then say so.

#79 ·
Yea reread my post from Yesterday, ALL YOU CAN GET TO IS THE C1. I tried bunch of different things to try and get to the others but didn't work. But thanks for being you Alaska.

#80 · (Edited)
Reguardless if it's 25% or what ever the final adjustment works out to, if you are running a filter and a tip, the pod will help with the lean condition the tip sometimes causes!
I've been running the pod mod set at 40 on mine since new and it's cleared up the lean condition the tip has caused, fixed the stalling, and picked up the 0-60 time by by at least a second. We also ran it on the 550 and it helped in the same way, plus gave it an extra mph on top end so it will help some!!
I wouldn't be scared to run the pod mod if you are just doing a filter and exhaust tip, i've had no ill effects from it what so ever! But the fuel controller is my first recommendation if all possible! Just my 2cents

Reactions: wayupnorth
#82 ·
They started doing this mod in 2006, that's 5 years and thousands of guys. The majority of them used the pod mod to run tips and the air filter mod. They got great results like Big7 has. He set his at 40 that's right around where I read most guys set theirs- 45. Some go as high as 90. It goes to 126
Although I can't recall anyone saying they ran rich with the tip like you are. Go over to highlifter and remove the time filter in the yamaha section. Search pod mod and you can get 8 pages of threads going back to 2006 when the 2007s came out. This mod is something you could do to help your situation without spending big bucks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.