Tire & Winch help - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos Discuss tire & wheel combos here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-25-2019, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Tire & Winch help

So i took out the grizzly 700 for the first time last weekend up here in northern Ontario, it did great ! went through mud holes over the racks and climbed steep rock hills and road trail comfortably all with the stock Maxxis tires, a few times tho I was wishing I had better tires or a winch, which ive planned on getting anyways, I use to have the GBC gators but pretty sure they don't make them anymore so I'm really leaning to a set of MudBugs from Maxxis never road them before but know some guys that swear by them, any opinions on them or another tire similar swamp foxes maybe? not looking for something too aggressive that i can't ride on the road, and also any winch recommendations? thanks for reading! cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
Winch wise I am running a Superwinch Terra35 and been happy with that. I have a few friends running KFI winches and are happy with theirs as well. The big thing for me is go with a synthetic line winch, 100% worth it.

Depending on what surface you ride on the most I would be a little leery of the MudBugs lasting long if you ride much hardpack trail, gravel and roads. But yes most nay tire is generally a step up from the factory ones, I run Growlers that are beefy but pretty heavy, have several friends running Bearclaw HTR's,Zilla's, Black Diamond's, OG Bighorn's and Bighorn 3.0's that they are all happy with. I think a little more information about the places you ride might allow us to make some better recommendations.

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
26.5" Pit Bill Growler Uber XOR on STI HD7 14x7 Wheels
EPI Purple Spring & Coop Machined Sheave + 0.75mm shim
EHS Fuel Injection Tuner & Airbox Mod
SuperWinch Terra 35

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
26" Interco Radial Reptiles on '18 Grizzly SE wheels
post #3 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 AM

I also run Growlers. Love them! But as mentioned above many other excellent options.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, Pod Mod set to 45, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5 shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
Winches I don't guess you can go to wrong with. I've had a Smittybilt 3000lbs (Big Bear 400), Warn 3000( Outlander XT1000-crapped out after a few months), Polaris 2500(RZR XP1000) and Superwinch 3500lbs (Grizzly 700). They all seemed to work pretty good. To be fair to the Warn winch I do ride in the mud, the only trail I see is to the next hole or when I load my bike up. Now with that being said synthetic rope is a must!!! I would say check out Amazon, you can usually find good deals on Superwinch. You don't need a real big winch, but I say get the biggest you can fit.

Tire wise...I mud so I look for really aggressive tires, TERMS. It really all depends on how you ride. If you did as good as you say with stockers then stay along the lines of that and look at the tires SavageGrizzly said. Maybe look at some Grim Reapers, Blackwaters or Xtr's if you want something that is a little more dedicated to mud. I've had Mega Mayhems and Xtr's. Both seem to do well in the mud and rode great on hard packed in my opinion. Some people complain about the Xtr's and how they puncture. I had them on 12 inch rims and never had issues.

2018 Grizzly SE
29.5x10-12 Terms on stock rims
Coop45 Mod #3
.5mm Shim
16 gram weights
White Secondary
K&N Air Filter
HMF Swamp XL Exhaust with HMF Optimizer
3500lbs Superwinch
N2D Snorkel and Rad Kit
post #5 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
If you are looking for something more aggressive than what I listed above, but still halfway decent on the trail I have heard good reviews on the ITP Cryptid's and the STI Out & Back Max.

2018 Grizzly 700 EPS SE
Elka Stage 4 Shocks
26.5" Pit Bill Growler Uber XOR on STI HD7 14x7 Wheels
EPI Purple Spring & Coop Machined Sheave + 0.75mm shim
EHS Fuel Injection Tuner & Airbox Mod
SuperWinch Terra 35

2018 Kodiak 700 EPS
26" Interco Radial Reptiles on '18 Grizzly SE wheels
post #6 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageGrizzly View Post
Winch wise I am running a Superwinch Terra35 and been happy with that. I have a few friends running KFI winches and are happy with theirs as well. The big thing for me is go with a synthetic line winch, 100% worth it.

Depending on what surface you ride on the most I would be a little leery of the MudBugs lasting long if you ride much hardpack trail, gravel and roads. But yes most nay tire is generally a step up from the factory ones, I run Growlers that are beefy but pretty heavy, have several friends running Bearclaw HTR's,Zilla's, Black Diamond's, OG Bighorn's and Bighorn 3.0's that they are all happy with. I think a little more information about the places you ride might allow us to make some better recommendations.
Its really a mix bag some road, but mostly trail and like "peanut butter" mud if you know what I mean haha driving over logs and rocks thick brush, stuff like that not too many groomed trails lots of lets see whats down here kinda thing,
post #7 of 10 Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 PM

Garage
I live for mud and my terms are great in the mud, but they are 41 pounds a piece. Silverbacks are awesome in the mud. Both of those tires ride pretty smooth on hard packed ground, just wouldn't drive any mud tire too fast and definitely not around curves. I've got the outback max on my rzr and they are pretty good, I know they make a version of them that don't have as big of a lug and weigh a little less.

Outback Max Xt
28-10-14 31.7 lbs 1.125 inch tread

Outback Max
28-10-14 42 lbs 2 inch tread

2018 Grizzly SE
29.5x10-12 Terms on stock rims
Coop45 Mod #3
.5mm Shim
16 gram weights
White Secondary
K&N Air Filter
HMF Swamp XL Exhaust with HMF Optimizer
3500lbs Superwinch
N2D Snorkel and Rad Kit
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2019, 08:45 AM

Iíve had many sets of grim reapers on various atvís and keep going back to them. Ride good, no flats, and they always get me places at least as far as anyone else, if not farther.

Use on rock trails, hard snow, and various mud. Just picked up a set of 26x9-12 for all four corners on my new grizzly. Havenít put them on yet but Iím glad I did 9 wide all around. They are wider than the original rear tires.
post #9 of 10 Old 06-28-2019, 03:36 PM

Tusk Trilabite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNatureBoy View Post
So i took out the grizzly 700 for the first time last weekend up here in northern Ontario, it did great ! went through mud holes over the racks and climbed steep rock hills and road trail comfortably all with the stock Maxxis tires, a few times tho I was wishing I had better tires or a winch, which ive planned on getting anyways, I use to have the GBC gators but pretty sure they don't make them anymore so I'm really leaning to a set of MudBugs from Maxxis never road them before but know some guys that swear by them, any opinions on them or another tire similar swamp foxes maybe? not looking for something too aggressive that i can't ride on the road, and also any winch recommendations? thanks for reading! cheers
I've recently got the aforementioned and I like the way the grab the rocks, get through the mud, and travel nice on the road. Got the 26-12x9 on the front and 26-12x10 on the rear. Got them on Tusk Carlisle rims. I wanted to spare the originals. All said and done full package with air $700...yes they sent them with air in them right to the PSI!
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2019, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking1 View Post
I've recently got the aforementioned and I like the way the grab the rocks, get through the mud, and travel nice on the road. Got the 26-12x9 on the front and 26-12x10 on the rear. Got them on Tusk Carlisle rims. I wanted to spare the originals. All said and done full package with air $700...yes they sent them with air in them right to the PSI!
Nice thats not a bad price! I really want to get a pair of bugs kinda hard to find a set !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Grizzly Forums > Grizzly Tire & Wheel Combos

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode