Wheel bearings - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Off-Topic Discussion Discuss anything that is NOT GRIZZLY RELATED (or that we don't have a section for) here. Please post in the appropriate forum that relates to your topic. This way when someone (including us) comes here to look for answers, it will be a lot easier to find info.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By dezz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-16-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Wheel bearings

Is their a tapered wheel bearing available for the 700? They would last a lot longer than the standard rollies .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 AM

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,396 Posts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeng0! View Post
Is their a tapered wheel bearing available for the 700? They would last a lot longer than the standard rollies .
To my knowledge, there is no other different bearing types that works or is swappable.

Why do you think a tapered bearing would last longer? Especially in the application of our ATV's with using the wheel bearing inner races to sandwich the hub on using the axle at a fairly high torque so the hub doesn't fall off.
You can't torque tapered bearings to a high torque like that. That's not how they work. They'll fail at those torque values. Additionally, throw in dirt, mud and water that our ATV's go through, and they'll fail just as fast or faster than any other bearing.

I deal with bearings on a daily basis in my line of work. All the aircraft wheels that I work on have tapered bearings. Even though they are in a constant run of synthetic grease, behind axle seals, operated in clean conditions and are very rarely contaminated, they still fail. And remember, those bearings do not have a lot of mileage on them. It's an aircraft. It goes from hanger to gate, then gate to runway....then reverse. Might put on a couple miles per day, depending on use.
Automotive tapered wheel bearings and tapered trailer bearings do not go through the same dirty conditions as ATV's do, and even these fail on a routine basis. Especially when they are not maintained with fresh regreasing.

And after all that, the factory Koyo bearing has proven to be a very durable and long lasting wheel bearing. Most get thousands upon thousands of miles out of them....and some get more than that.
Cheap bearings like All Balls are garbage. And those fail quickly. But a cheap tapered bearing would yield the same results of quick failure. You get what you pay is very applicable here.

I could be wrong though. Have been wrong many times.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-19-2019, 09:43 PM

Do search for the bearing greaser tool...I think it is Machined Integrations . I was having a lot of trouble getting more than 500 miles out of a factory bearing. I got the tool last fall and started greasing my new bearings after every ride. I only have about 350 on them so far but new grease in them will have to help.

08 700 EPS
27"BHOG's W/ITP SS112 rims
Ricochet full skids
1.5xxbillet spacers
1.5shimw/EPI purple spring
HMF XL pipe w/optimizer
Uni air filter
Moose front and rear bumpers
12" LED bar and Halos
Rotopax 3gal fuel cell
Yami overfenders
Yami hand guards Yami rear box
Warn XT2.5 winch w/syn. rope
LED reverse light
ODI grips
Rhino axles
Wetsounds Stealth6 soundbar
Rox footpegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictory1974 View Post
Do search for the bearing greaser tool...I think it is Machined Integrations . I was having a lot of trouble getting more than 500 miles out of a factory bearing. I got the tool last fall and started greasing my new bearings after every ride. I only have about 350 on them so far but new grease in them will have to help.
Surprising your having so much problems with bearings. Could it be your 1.5" spacers?
My area is fairly rough riding and with 1" spacers my Koyos have held up 3000+ miles no issues. Even one of my rear wheels has a cheap Chinese National bearing with 1500 miles and it's holding up fine.

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, Pod Mod set to 45, COOP45 machined sheave + 0.5 shim (3.1:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring

Last edited by Vincent; 05-20-2019 at 07:12 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 09:05 AM

Thanked 3,053 Times in 2,103 Posts

I got around 10k miles on the factory bearings before I changed out 2. My Queens machine are all original. We ride plenty of water and mud slurry.

Most bearings I replace seem to last for most of 2 seasons 8-10k miles.
I use a press to carefully remove and install (no heat) then install with plenty of lithium soap grease.
I don't molest the bearing before installation.
Only KOYO bearings. Beware there are some counterfeit Chinese koyos on ebay.

Twin sister 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
Grezzzless CVT 22g
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
360/120 CVT
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Thanked 1,801 Times in 1,396 Posts

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
I got around 10k miles on the factory bearings before I changed out 2. My Queens machine are all original. We ride plenty of water and mud slurry.

Most bearings I replace seem to last for most of 2 seasons 8-10k miles.
I use a press to carefully remove and install (no heat) then install with plenty of lithium soap grease.
I don't molest the bearing before installation.
Only KOYO bearings. Beware there are some counterfeit Chinese koyos on ebay.
X2.
This is been my experience as well. While nowhere near the miles you get, I do get years out of wheel bearings. Others that work on also get years and thousands upon thousands of miles.
I also take the same precautions as you do with installing new bearings. Good proper bearing installation techniques makes a huge difference in bearing longevity.
reogem likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to dezz For This Useful Post:
reogem (05-20-2019)
post #7 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM

Hammering on bearings seems to shorten their life. I use a well shimmed press.
I feel using the wrong grease not greasing the axle shaft and inside race causes issues.

Running in water or washing then letting the sit for weeks or months causes bearing, seals to drt out and corrosion. Seem that we get more miles for this reason. They don't sit.
Others may feel different that fine.
Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

Grezzzless CVT 22g
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
360/120 CVT
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-20-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
Hammering on bearings seems to shorten their life. I use a well shimmed press.
I feel using the wrong grease not greasing the axle shaft and inside race causes issues.

Running in water or washing then letting the sit for weeks or months causes bearing, seals to drt out and corrosion. Seem that we get more miles for this reason. They don't sit.
Others may feel different that fine.
Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
I never thought about that but I wash mine very good after each ride and it might be weeks or months before the next ride. I think the muddy , rocky , and sandy area I ride has the most to do with the premature bearing failure along with the spacers. The original ones Yamaha installed didn't last long either but I'm hoping the greaser tool will help.

08 700 EPS
27"BHOG's W/ITP SS112 rims
Ricochet full skids
1.5xxbillet spacers
1.5shimw/EPI purple spring
HMF XL pipe w/optimizer
Uni air filter
Moose front and rear bumpers
12" LED bar and Halos
Rotopax 3gal fuel cell
Yami overfenders
Yami hand guards Yami rear box
Warn XT2.5 winch w/syn. rope
LED reverse light
ODI grips
Rhino axles
Wetsounds Stealth6 soundbar
Rox footpegs
post #9 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 AM

@jvictory1974 ..Yep after every ride I wash the radiator, the brakes the shocks and as best I can the area of the axle,bearing and hub.

On the Kodis I also wash the control cables for the front diff and wet brakes.

I just rinse off all the cosmetic crap.... cause I'll be riding again the next day.

I do believe that storing the machine for weeks or months with wet bearings is a problem. Take'm for a 4-5 mile dry ride.

Grezzzless CVT 22g
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
360/120 CVT
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-21-2019, 09:49 AM

Could the reason be cost related? Ball bearing less expensive to make and install with it's self contained races vs separate races for tapered and higher cost?

2013 GRIZZ 700 EPS

2016 WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS
post #11 of 11 Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM

Here is what I think I know and I am very likely to be wrong. The ball bearings in the grizzly are a shielded bearing they are not sealed. When I look at the parts for the Kawasaki model that they came out of there are wheel seals that help protect the bearings. I knows the grizzly does not have separate seals. I have three Grizzlies all the same year two of them have wheel spacers on them my 700 has ITP Wheels which are also offset I believe. My son's grizzly he likes to wallow in every mud and water hole he can find like a Labrador Retriever goes through bearings fairly quickly. My wife machine that very seldom if ever gets in the water and mud, bearings last a long time. My machine with the ITP Wheels bearings last somewhere in between because I do get into mud water just not on purpose. All three machines are clean basically the same with a pressure washer or hose. During the winter I found bearings I believe on eBay that are sealed. I found them by searching for the Kawasaki bearing looking for the Kawasaki model I did not search by the bearing number. I bought two of them I have not ran them yet to see how well they last. The ball bearings Yamaha uses do not use the ball's to tighten against like a cone or tapered roller bearing. I believe if you had a roller bearing in there in the dirt getting in there wearing on them you would have a nightmare trying to keep your wheels tight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > General Forums > Off-Topic Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode