Stuck front axle - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
The Tool Box Discuss tools and other related topics here.

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Stuck front axle

I can not get the right front axle out of the differential on my 2009 Grizzly 700, any suggestions on how to get it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 03:44 PM
"Respect my authoratah"

Thanked 2,139 Times in 1,207 Posts

Garage
I believe this is what I did when I had to pull my rear axle out to repair the CV boot.

- Brad, '07 Grizzly 700 (bought 02/14) | Updated '09 oil line cover w/ RM Stator | Dynatek DFCA-13 FI Controller | HMF Swamp Slip-on | Koso AFR Meter | 26" BigHorns OG | Yamaha Rhino SE wheels w/ 1" spacers | Coop45 Primary Sheave mod3 & .7mm shim | EPI purple spring | RoxRisers w/ Renthal Fatbar | Ricochet Full skids w/ UHMW Overlays | BlueSea Fuse Block | Yamaha HD bumper w/ Totron 12" LED light bar | Back-up LED light | Heat Demon grips/throttle | Kolpin Fuel Pack | Uni air filter
post #3 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 04:06 PM

I've gotten two of my axles out by using the axle itself as a kind of slide hammer. Took ALOT of force but it worked

2009 Grizzly 550 Special Edition, Red Midnight Armour, EPS, 26"Pitbull Growler BG2.5 xor, on 12"polished alloy SE wheels with 1"spacers, Yamaha overfenders & windshield, Heat Demon grips & thumb warmers, 2500lbs Warn winch, two up seat / storage box, Moose rear bumper, Gold Plugs in diffs & engine, Pod Mod set to 45, COOP45 machined sheave (3:1), 18 gram weights, EPI Orange spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM

I've had it suggested to me to tie a rope onto the free end of the cv axle, then a hammer onto the free end of the rope. Have someone hold the axle inline, and then swing the hammer so that the rope catches the end of the swing for a forceful pop.

Or just buy a slide hammer and use that, lots of videos on YouTube showing how to do that.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
post #5 of 21 Old 03-16-2019, 03:20 AM

Not sure if you've gotten the axle out yet @Policy Peddler . I can't say I've ever had a "stuck" axle so to speak, but if you are trying to simply pull it out with brute force, you will likely encounter some difficulty. I've never had success simply trying to pull the axle directly out.

I'm not sure who to give credit to on this method (@Dr. Mud maybe?) but I have had success with it. What I learned was "peck-peck-PULL!" simply saying a couple of light tugs to align the internal clip in the axle groove to make sure the clip is centered (think of it like a tap of the clip against the inside of the diff engagement by a light pull and then pushing it quickly back in to get another run at it... then pull quick and hard the third time). Sometimes it takes multiple attempts at the "peck-peck-PULL" but I've always gotten them out with this method. If this doesn't work, then the advice above may be your next step. Hope this helps... if you've already tried it - I got nuthin' for ya!
RDC likes this.

2012 Grizzly 700 EPS (bought new in 2012)
ITP 212 12 inch wheels - 26" Interco Reptiles - JBS Sheave with .5 mm shim - Yamaha Glide Plate - Ricochet A-arm guards - Moose Front & Rear Bumpers - PowerMadd Hand Guards - Pelican 1470 case - Moose Aluminum Rear Box - Symtec Heated Grips - Warn RT30 Winch - Moose 60" straight plow - ROX Speed Riser Kit

2005 Grizzly 660 SE (bought used in 2018)
ITP C4 wheels - BearClaw HTR 26" tires - Viper 3500 Syn - Auxbeam 12" light bar - Heat Demon Grips

2005 Grizzly 80 (bought used)

2016 Wolverine R-Spec (bought new May 2017)
STI wheels - 27" CST Clincher tires - Superwinch Terra 4500 Syn.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I believe this is what I did when I had to pull my rear axle out to repair the CV boot.

Removing Grizzly axles without special tools

May I borrow your Snap on end wrench in the correct size?
post #7 of 21 Old 04-08-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

I have not been able to get it to pop out. I tried 2 screw drivers prying on it and jerking the axle. I tried a slide hammer, now i have a 2 piece axle, it pulled a part the outside CV joint.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM

Thanked 3,687 Times in 2,318 Posts

I seem to remember another member pulling the other axle and using a long punch through the ring gear to drive the stuck axle from the inside, out.
Hey dezz, we need your help.

Jim,
Fast Green Convertible "06" 660 on 26" BH OG's with Stock Wheels.
COOP45 Primary, 1.5 mm shim, -1.5 mm belt, Purple Secondary Spring,
21 gram weights, weight covers reduced to 29 mm diameter and a 2 mm Cut Cam Plate.
2 heat range hotter plug, Warn Winch, Passenger Foot Rests, Rock Deflectors, Heated Grips and Hand Mitts,
Grab Strap, Cooling System Up-Grade and multiple position mirrors.
8040 miles, 812 hours on 1-1-15
Y.A.C.C. #43
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Peddler View Post
I have not been able to get it to pop out. I tried 2 screw drivers prying on it and jerking the axle. I tried a slide hammer, now i have a 2 piece axle, it pulled a part the outside CV joint.
Anyone have any other suggestions?
Ouch. Fresh out of ideas here, other than pulling the other side CV axle, then removing the whole front diff so you can work on it on the bench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgway81432 View Post
I seem to remember another member pulling the other axle and using a long punch through the ring gear to drive the stuck axle from the inside, out.
Hey dezz, we need your help.
I was thinking this too, but I think it applies to the rear final drive only, and not the front. Not hole through the center of the limited slip unit in the front. Looking at used units on powersportsnation website that seems to be the case. @dezz could confirm though.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 02:29 PM

Sounds like you will be replacing the complete axle if you can get it out. If you or a buddy have a welder just weld to what's left of the shaft and make a slide hammer. I had the same thing happen on the back of mine. Got it out by putting a large pipe wrench on the axle shaft with the jaw area touching the frame and hammering on the other end of the pipe wrench. Works like a long pry bar. You might have to get creative with some wood blocking up front and ratchet straps to make a pivot point to rest the pipe wrench against. You only need it to move a little to get the snap ring to pop out of it's groove. Good luck.

2015 Grizzly
2008 Grizzly
post #11 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
Anything you can do with a ratchet strap as a puller, you can do better, and more controlled with a come-a-long. You could even use the bike winch (if it has one) through a snatch block or two, to redirect the force to where you need it. I use come-a-longs (hand operated, lever actuated winches) on a daily basis. If you do not have one, I highly recommend you get one. I own and use four.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool.
2003 Yamaha grizzly 660.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,382 Posts

Garage
I'm a bit late to the party here.

You can't cross punch the axle on the front diff. That is only applicable on the rear.

You'll need to do a straight out pull on the axle. As straight as you can can get. Sometimes this requires removing lots of other parts to accomplish. I have removed knuckles, upper a-arm and shock to get this.
Once you have room to work, now rap a ratchet strap around the inner joint. Get it as tight as possible. Saw it back and forth if you have too to get it jammed behind the cup. I like doing it so I have 2 ends of the strap coming off it. This helps with the pull being square on the spring clip holding it in (straight out).

Now make a knot or rap the ends around a sledge hammer (or any heavy weight you can swing). Have at least 2' of swing give (I like 3' or more). Secure the ATV as best as possible. You don't want it to move. Having another set of hands helps here.
Now put the hammer as close you can, then swing outward as hard and as fast as you can. Do this as square as possible in the direction of pull. Being square is the key. Doing it on an angle is a lot less effective.

If that does not work, then that axle is really stuck and will require drastic measures. I had a Polaris like this one time.
Weld a chain to the inner cup. I think the rest is self explanatory from that point.

You can also use vise-grips (or other locking pliers) to grap the lip of the cup. Weld chain to the vise-grips. But I have never had any luck myself doing this. The pliers simply would not hold strong enough. I simply ruined a set of good vise-grips.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-10-2019, 05:31 AM

Thanked 3,006 Times in 2,066 Posts

The peck,peck,pull is the method I've have always used. Sometimes a little stubborn but never had to use a puller.

Why do you need to removing the axle? Is it a stock axle?

Many members and other have reported that an adapter like this with a slide hammer will easily remove the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide hammer.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.0 KB
ID:	79159  

Twin sister 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Dirty Egg Salad (Camo)
Grezzzless CVT 22g
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Beadlock Wheels

Hers 16 Kodiak EPS 700 Camo
26.5" Pitbull Growlers Uber XOR
STI HD1 Wheels

2013 Ole blue 700
Putting out to Stud 21365 miles
360/120 CVT
26" ML XTRs
stocker wheels
grezzzless clutch.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-11-2019, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

why i am pulling axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by reogem View Post
The peck,peck,pull is the method I've have always used. Sometimes a little stubborn but never had to use a puller.

Why do you need to removing the axle? Is it a stock axle?

Many members and other have reported that an adapter like this with a slide hammer will easily remove the axle.

It appears the drive shaft seal is leaking. It just seemed natural to remove the axles before removing the front differential.

I am rebuilding the drive system. New brakes, new rear master cylinder seals, new axles, new bearings. The front axles are the original, 2009 Grizzly 10,000 miles on them, so I thought i would replace them. Now the inside cv boot is off and the outside cv joint is in 2 pieces.

BTW: Thank you for the tool picture. I will make one tomorrow, possibly with a couple modifications.
reogem likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Policy Peddler For This Useful Post:
reogem (04-11-2019)
post #15 of 21 Old 04-11-2019, 06:31 PM

Sorry to hear about your stuck axel I had the same situation with mine and I finally got it out with a tie rod end tool it kinda looked like a big fork I tapped it up behind the cup and gave it a few firm wacks with my 3 pound sledge and it popped on out

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > General Forums > The Tool Box

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode