2018 Kodiak 450 ESP rear brakes don’t work when pressing foot pedal. - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Yamaha Kodiak Discussion Discuss Yamaha Kodiak Utility ATV vehicles here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By wheelsquad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

2018 Kodiak 450 ESP rear brakes don’t work when pressing foot pedal.

My sons brand new Kodiak 450 with only 6 hours of riding time rear brakes don’t work well when pressing foot pedal, I tried to adjust the brakes setting underneath on the right hand side but brakes still take along time to stop the ATV, the brakes on the handle bar works great, of course my 6 month warranty just expired , could I replace the rear brakes with new brake pads or I’m I missing something on the adjustment, help please and thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 09:42 AM

With 6 hrs. ride time, it's not the pads. Have you bled the rear brake? Coulda got air in the line.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arrowshort View Post
With 6 hrs. ride time, it's not the pads. Have you bled the rear brake? Coulda got air in the line.

The rear brakes on the new Kodiaks (450 & 700) are cable actuated, not hydraulic.

@Franklin Robinson If the hand lever is working perfectly fine and stopping the atv as it should, then it is definitely not an internal brake issue. Sounds like your foot pedal was just that far out of adjustment. You should be able to put full braking pressure on the foot pedal without it bottoming out on the floorboard. If it does, you need to adjust the foot pedal tighter yet. Pay attention to the shift lockout cable that is attached to the foot pedal too.

On a side note... You have taught your kid to use the front brakes for most of the stopping power though, correct? Proper braking technique is a combination of both, with the majority of the power coming from the front.
1arrowshort likes this.

2011 Grizzly 450 EPS
Artrax CTX 26-9-12's all around
on Rock A168 rims
JBS sheave - no shim
18 gram Dr Pulley overdrive sliders
MotionPro twist throttle kit
rear brake lever run in vertical orientation
gripper seat cover
rear fender flares
Champion 3000 lb winch w/ synthetic rope
KFI 48" plow + wings
handlebar mounted light bar
homemade electric plow angle
homemade plow lifted height indicator

2004 Rancher AT
+ Lots of other Honda's in the family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-28-2019, 12:39 PM

I stand corrected, I assumed the newer kodiak would be similar to my older grizzly. Nice to know, seeing I'm looking at a kodiak 450 possibly for the wife.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-31-2019, 05:28 AM

New Kodiak 700 owner here, just finished break-in and I've notice the rear brakes took a bit of time the wear-in. Right off the showroom floor they didn't work good at all and need a few quick stops to start feeling OK. After braking in the belt for 20 miles I broke in the Engine my own way with several 5 second WOT take-offs and that also included using the brakes hard to bring it to a stop. Wet-brake type systems usually need a bit of time to "bed" friction material onto the steel plates. You haven't changed rear diff oil yet, have you? If you don't use an oil that specifically says "for wet brakes" it could also cause weak braking ability.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Yamaha Kodiak Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode