Anybody went from Grizzly to Wolverine? - Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum
Yamaha Wolverine Discussion Discuss your Wolverine UTV here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By MNDirtRider
  • 1 Post By Tracen8r

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Anybody went from Grizzly to Wolverine?

So here is my predicament and the only reason why I am considering trading. I have two small children and I am trying to incorporate them more into my riding because they love to go on my ATV. I only ride about 3 to 4 times a year (1 to 2 days each trip) but I do miss them and would alternate trips with them. My thought is to sell my Grizzly and purchase a Wolverine X2 two seater. I would appreciate any input or thoughts in general (money/ride quality/size/etc etc). I do realize the type of riding will change drastically but I believe most people will understand my thoughts for making some sacrifices. In the past I have ridden tight technical trials but my that has changed to more open tamed trials that easily accommodate sxs. I have rented a few side by sides in the past and though they were very comfortable. And my other question is if I do decide to do this is the r Spec really worth the 2k more than the base?? Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-22-2019, 12:40 PM

Hey @joey2uv - your riding and family situation sounds very familiar. I live in the Twin Cities and I have to drive at least a couple hours to ride my machines so I don't get very many opportunities to ride - when I do, it's typically a short weekend. I have three kids and two are nearing driving age. We bought a 2016 R-Spec for fun and to teach our kids how to drive. My youngest is now 5 yrs old and he's my little shadow (Daddy's boy). The Grizzlies are great but I really enjoy the SXS with him as it's easier to have a conversation and enjoy the time spent together. I was lucky enough to be "allowed" to keep my quads but if I were forced to make a choice, I would ride SXS with my son (and the other kids - they just don't have the same level of interest).

Also, if I were in the market today, I would buy a new R-Spec in a heartbeat based on the updates over the previous Gen 1 machine. I have mine just the way I want it now and it's a great machine so I'm sticking with it.

2012 Grizzly 700 EPS (bought new in 2012)
ITP 212 12 inch wheels - 26" Interco Reptiles - JBS Sheave with .5 mm shim - Yamaha Glide Plate - Ricochet A-arm guards - Moose Front & Rear Bumpers - PowerMadd Hand Guards - Pelican 1470 case - Moose Aluminum Rear Box - Symtec Heated Grips - Warn RT30 Winch - Moose 60" straight plow - ROX Speed Riser Kit

2005 Grizzly 660 SE (bought used in 2018)
ITP C4 wheels - BearClaw HTR 26" tires - Viper 3500 Syn - Auxbeam 12" light bar - Heat Demon Grips

2005 Grizzly 80 (bought used)

2016 Wolverine R-Spec (bought new May 2017)
STI wheels - 27" CST Clincher tires - Superwinch Terra 4500 Syn.
The Following User Says Thank You to MNDirtRider For This Useful Post:
joey2uv (03-25-2019)
post #3 of 15 Old 03-25-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNDirtRider View Post
Hey @joey2uv - your riding and family situation sounds very familiar. I live in the Twin Cities and I have to drive at least a couple hours to ride my machines so I don't get very many opportunities to ride - when I do, it's typically a short weekend. I have three kids and two are nearing driving age. We bought a 2016 R-Spec for fun and to teach our kids how to drive. My youngest is now 5 yrs old and he's my little shadow (Daddy's boy). The Grizzlies are great but I really enjoy the SXS with him as it's easier to have a conversation and enjoy the time spent together. I was lucky enough to be "allowed" to keep my quads but if I were forced to make a choice, I would ride SXS with my son (and the other kids - they just don't have the same level of interest).

Also, if I were in the market today, I would buy a new R-Spec in a heartbeat based on the updates over the previous Gen 1 machine. I have mine just the way I want it now and it's a great machine so I'm sticking with it.
Thanks for that! I guess the R Spec is the way to go... Ultimately I am not ready to completely give up my atv which is in excellent condition and low miles. I ride very hard when I ride but I clean and maintain the heck out of it. Additionally I have quite a few high end accessories on it but as we all know accessories and maintenance mean nothing when it comes to selling price. So I really see no reason to sell it at this point the more I think about the situation. But in a few years I would pick up a side by side to bring my kids along. MNDirtRider you are spot on with keeping both and I will budget down the road for a side by side. Now the problem is trying to avoid dropping coin on some Elkas for the Grizz...LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2019, 01:14 PM

I am another guy who moved on from Grizzly's to a Wolverine. My wife had two roll over incidents with her 550 Grizzly and would get scared on steep inclines and descents after wrecking 30 some miles back in the mountains and had to ride out injured. The Wolverine saved us! She really enjoys the back country rides minus the anxiety of driving by herself. I did keep my 700 Grizzly to used around the house plowing and hauling, but the Wolverine is now our go to machine! The only downside at first was getting used to the restricted views compared to the Grizzly openness. The comfort of riding in a Wolverine is spectacular, with drink holders, a roof for sudden rainfalls, a tilting windshield for cold mornings and warm afternoons, and being able to talk to each other on the trail without having to stop all the time. I'd say go for it!

2015 Steel Blue Grizzly 700 W/EPS
26" Zilla's
Heat Demon ODI Grips/Thumb Warmer
Warn Provantage 2500 Winch
Yamaha Glide Plate
RAM GPS & Handgun Mounts
Kolpin Gunboot Bracket
Yamaha 2" Receiver
Battery Tender Charger

2016 Wolverine R-Spec Alpine White SE
27" Tusk Terrabites, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rearview Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, TGM Doors
The Following User Says Thank You to MORSNO For This Useful Post:
joey2uv (04-03-2019)
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2019, 01:46 PM

@MORSNO hit the nail on the head when he speaks of riding comfort too. When I sit in my Wolvy, it fits me like a well-broken-in pair of boots. There are times when I much prefer to ride the quad but that's typically when I ride with buddies. My brother (he has 5 kids) and I (3 kids) have both adopted SXS machines for our families but ride quads every chance we get.
MORSNO likes this.

ITP 212 12 inch wheels - 26" Interco Reptiles - JBS Sheave with .5 mm shim - Yamaha Glide Plate - Ricochet A-arm guards - Moose Front & Rear Bumpers - PowerMadd Hand Guards - Pelican 1470 case - Moose Aluminum Rear Box - Symtec Heated Grips - Warn RT30 Winch - Moose 60" straight plow - ROX Speed Riser Kit

ITP C4 wheels - BearClaw HTR 26" tires - Viper 3500 Syn - Auxbeam 12" light bar - Heat Demon Grips

The Following User Says Thank You to MNDirtRider For This Useful Post:
joey2uv (04-03-2019)
post #6 of 15 Old 04-02-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

All you guys bring up really good points... In the end I think I will wait a few years, drop some coin on the R-Spec and keep my Grizzly. No reason to sell it and waiting will give me a chance to save a few more bucks. Comfort is a nice touch especially being I am only 180 pounds and under my weight the Grizzly suspension doesn't cycle much. Whats the youngest you guys take your kids out on the Wolverine? I would like to start them at about 5 or 6 but is that too young?
post #7 of 15 Old 04-02-2019, 06:28 PM

We strapped in the booster seat and slapped a helmet and goggles on him at 3. I just cruise with him in the cab - no top speed runs.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-03-2019, 08:22 AM

I just cruise with him in the cab - no top speed runs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomoko Frederic For This Useful Post:
joey2uv (04-03-2019)
post #9 of 15 Old 04-03-2019, 08:26 AM

Yes of course)
post #10 of 15 Old 04-03-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Definitely would not be going top speed with a kid strapped in... Not really a speed demon per se and the trails I ride would not warrant those speeds.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-03-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2uv View Post
Thanks for that! I guess the R Spec is the way to go... Ultimately I am not ready to completely give up my atv which is in excellent condition and low miles. I ride very hard when I ride but I clean and maintain the heck out of it. Additionally I have quite a few high end accessories on it but as we all know accessories and maintenance mean nothing when it comes to selling price. So I really see no reason to sell it at this point the more I think about the situation. But in a few years I would pick up a side by side to bring my kids along. MNDirtRider you are spot on with keeping both and I will budget down the road for a side by side. Now the problem is trying to avoid dropping coin on some Elkas for the Grizz...LOL!

Off topic here Joey2uv, but I went with Stage 1 Elkas on my 16 grizzly and I absolutely love them. I put about 40 miles on them this past weekend at a pay to ride close to me and man did they make a huge difference. I opted for stage 1's as I did not want to spend the money on the higher end models. I am a bigger rider, around 320lbs and I no longer bottom out and I can completely load down the bike with gear and it still feels great. It seems to have a lot more stability on the tight off camber trails as well.

2016 Grizzly 700 SE Silver
HMF Titan Series Quiet Core
HMF Fuel Optimizer
EHS Air Box Mod with UNI Filter
Elka Stage 1 Shocks
26-10-12 Maxxis MU06Y all four corners
Yamaha Rear Cargo Box

2000 Wolverine 350
25"
Currently rebuilding bike as its worth more in sentimental value than getting rid of it
post #12 of 15 Old 04-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Check out the Wolverine Forums, there are a few pics of baby seats installed between the front seats (keeps the mud off the little guys).

2015 Steel Blue Grizzly 700 W/EPS
26" Zilla's
Heat Demon ODI Grips/Thumb Warmer
Warn Provantage 2500 Winch
Yamaha Glide Plate
RAM GPS & Handgun Mounts
Kolpin Gunboot Bracket
Yamaha 2" Receiver
Battery Tender Charger

2016 Wolverine R-Spec Alpine White SE
27" Tusk Terrabites, Over Fenders, Warn 3500 Winch, Folding Windshield, Rear Windscreen, Accessory Bar & Gun Mount, Front & Rear Bumpers, Cargo Bed Box, Rearview Mirror, RAM GPS Mount, TGM Doors
post #13 of 15 Old 04-17-2019, 12:34 PM

I sold my Grizzly 1-1/2 years ago and picked up a Teryx4. I have 3 children, all under 9 years old. I must say, the SxS is an adjustment. The only time I like the machine is when my kids are with me. Aside from that, I find a quad is a lot more fun. Once my kids are old enough to drive their own quads, I will be going back to a Grizzly or Brute Force.

2012 Kawasaki Teryx4 EPS

Sold-Green 2016 Grizzly 700 EPS
Sold-2009 Grizzly 550 EPS w/ 4,800 miles
post #14 of 15 Old 04-17-2019, 09:28 PM

What was hard for me to get used to was not being able to stand up and read the trail or water crossing to find where not to go. I have both and for the most part the wife and I drive the Grizz. When going into an unfamiliar area though we take both and I scout ahead a little with the grizz. It's like having a winch mounted to the back of the grizz when I get stuck...
wheelsquad likes this.

2013 GRIZZ 700 EPS

2016 WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS
post #15 of 15 Old 04-18-2019, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracen8r View Post
I have both and for the most part the wife and I drive the Grizz.
EDIT: Wife and I drive the Wolvy

2013 GRIZZ 700 EPS

2016 WOLVERINE R-SPEC EPS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Yamaha Grizzly ATV Forum > Other Yamaha Forums > Yamaha Wolverine Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode